Stupid!...Blew Tube!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmt

Reaction score
hi!
i got my new Module randall amp...great!

But:i?m from europe,and in my enthusiasm i forgot to change the Volts from 110 to 220.well,i switched on and blew one of the 4 tubes! *grrrr*

i know,really stupid....

i tried to check,if there?s any damage,and ran the amp on 3 tubes for a few seconds,just to try if there?s any tone left.it worked,tone sounded "normal",so i hope there?s no further damage than the tube.

what do you think?is there a big chance of further damage?do i have to change a pair of tubes or can i just cahnge the broken one?

my amp is in the rehearsal room right now,do you know what kind of 6L6 (brand/lable) tubes the MTS heads come with?!?

thanks and bye,
fmt

The current RM100 heads comes stock with JJ E34L power tubes, not 6L6s. You can just change the bad tube only, don't have to change the whole set or pair. However, you may need to change the fuse that goes with that tube.
T.

but mine came with 6L6 tubes.i ordered it with 6L6...but i don?t know the brand right now...rubys i guess?!?

i ran to my local amp dealer today (he doesn?t have any randalls),and he told me to change ALL 4 tubes,despite the fact,that you can adjust the bias for every tube...he said,it doesn?t matter,if you can adjust them seperately.if i put in an unmatched tube,i would maybe create a horrible tone...hmmmmmm....

Okay, first ... do you have an owners manual? If so read it. Seriously, you have a great amp but it requires that you have some understanding of the facts. Your dealer is wrong, it says in the owners manual that you can run tubes that are not perfectly matched, but there is a limit to how mismatched they should be. You may have damaged some other components when you fired it up with the wrong voltage but I think if you got one pair of functional tubes you can at least fire it up and see what's going on.

The brand of tubes doesn't matter that much really. Just find two good 6L6 and see if you have two remaining good ones and go from there.

Tommy's right, you can install tubes that are not matched , as long as they are within the suggested range, which is stated in the manual. If don't understand how to check the bias , then you should have an expereinced repair shop do it for you.

H