Suggestion on which cleanish mod to go with

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeCee

Reaction score
I have just started in the world of MTS...I bought a RM100 and only have stock modules at this time..

I have the Blackface,Tweed and Plexi modules at this time..I was so happy with these i went out and bought a RM20 to use as a practice amp to replace my Blues Jr...

I am now after everyone's suggestion's here on the forum looking into my first mod..

I am not a metal guy anymore. After 8 years of playing and traveling with the Iron Maiden tribute band Killers i have switched to blues and blues based rock...So i'm looking for a warm blues type clean then the more pristine cleans used with metal..

Botom line..I'm not sure which mod to go with ..

I have it somewhat narrowed down to the following...
Jaded Faith OD Special
Jaded Faith Super Clean

Voodoo Twinface mods

Salvation Twinface

I really like the cleans of a twin so i'm a little leery of moving away from that tone to the OD special or super clean..
With that said i really like both the super clean and especially the OD Special..
Plus even though i have not ordered from Jaded Faith yet as a whole i'm extremely interested in many of there mods..

The Voodoo and Salvation mods i would have a better idea of what i would be getting ..From what i understand they are basically a enhanced version of the stock blackface module...

I guess what i'm asking can i get twin tones out of the OD Special or Super Clean?

Or would i be better off going with a standard Twinface mod...

My Gear is

Guitars..
Fender Strat Ultra Blue/silver/Red Lace Sensor pickups

US Masters Sporster Skinny..Vintage voiced dual Humbucker
Mahogany body ..Les Paul,SG,PRS type tones

Suhr.. Stratocaster equipped with Suhr V60 low output pickups
in neck and mid and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gate in the Bridge..

Amps
RM100
RM20 combo

Cabs
Avatar 4x12 with 2 WGS veteran 30 (Celeston V30 knockoffs)
2 WGS ET12 (Celestion G12-65 knockoffs) in X pattern

Avatar Oversized 2X12 loaded with Greenbacks..

With this setup what would be your suggestions to go with? I'm looking
for great cleans along the lines of a Fender Twin as well as slightly
overdriven tones..Great clarity is a must..

Please fell free to offer any suggestions and not just with the mods i
have mentioned ..I am new to MTS and have little knowledge of whats
out there so any suggestions will be appreciated...

Thank you for any and all help with this....

CeeCee said:
I guess what i'm asking can i get twin tones out of the OD Special or Super Clean?

The Super Clean, yes absolutely! Pristine Fender cleans are in there and if you play with the switches, you can get nice slightly pushed tones as well.

My favorite feature is the single coil/humbucker switch that bumps the volume up or down to match the pickup configuration of your guitar.

I have a dual humbucker Strat that losses quite a bit of volume when the coils are split; the switch matches the output of the split coil to the humbucker perfectly! Brilliant!

The OD Special is a whole different vibe, different from any other module and would be great for a blues player with lots of feel.

Also I'd look into the Salvation Loneclean - great module with lots of options! Can get crystal clear to some nice mid gain tones. I love mine!

MarcoR said:
CeeCee said:

The Super Clean, yes absolutely! Pristine Fender cleans are in there and if you play with the switches, you can get nice slightly pushed tones as well.

My favorite feature is the single coil/humbucker switch that bumps the volume up or down to match the pickup configuration of your guitar.

I have a dual humbucker Strat that losses quite a bit of volume when the coils are split; the switch matches the output of the split coil to the humbucker perfectly! Brilliant!

The OD Special is a whole different vibe, different from any other module and would be great for a blues player with lots of feel.

Do you have quality cleans with the OD Special ? Or is it more of as the name implies a overdriven tone? i know eventually this mod will be in my collection because it sounds like the ultimate mod for a blues player ..

I want to get my clean tones established before going onto anything else..

Although i must say even with just the stock blackface module they sound pretty impressive with proper EQ ing and such...

I found the stock Blackface to sound a lot like a silverface Twin (i.e. decent bright cleans, uninspiring overdrive). I would say the Super Clean gets you somewhere between a silverface and blackface Twin sound. It sounds a little more modern than what I think of as a blackface sound, but the 'spank' switch allows it to retain that Fender vibe, and it stays clean longer than I understand the Salvation Twinface does. You can definitely get overdrive out of it, but for bluesy overdrive, I prefer my Salvation Mandarine Graphic or my JF Voxless in DC30 mode. The Super Clean is miles beyond the stock Blackface, naturally.

Whoopysnorp said:
I found the stock Blackface to sound a lot like a silverface Twin (i.e. decent bright cleans, uninspiring overdrive). I would say the Super Clean gets you somewhere between a silverface and blackface Twin sound. It sounds a little more modern than what I think of as a blackface sound, but the 'spank' switch allows it to retain that Fender vibe, and it stays clean longer than I understand the Salvation Twinface does. You can definitely get overdrive out of it, but for bluesy overdrive, I prefer my Salvation Mandarine Graphic or my JF Voxless in DC30 mode. The Super Clean is miles beyond the stock Blackface, naturally.

You hit it right on the mark as far as the stock blackface module goes..

The cleans are more than acceptable not exactly that of a twin..

But then again every twin i have ever played through sounds different with different tubes,break in time for tube and speakers and speaker variations..

I must agree though its weak point is overdriven ..Even if boosted by my Paul Cochrane Tim pedal it sounds kind of fizzy or ratty ..Not terrible mind you but not especially something to write home about either....

I much prefer the slight break up tones of the Tweed module...

I have the Superclean and the Loneclean.While the Superclean is easily my favourite I wouldn't have gotten into MTS if it wasn't for the Loneclean.
The Superclean does any clean I want with any guitar and it absolutely loves my BB preamp and Wampler Paisley pedals but I find it hard to part with the Loneclean just because of its versatility.The tweed setting on it is an awesome blues/rock overdriven tone.I've played gigs where all Ive used are these two mods just because they cover so much ground.

Well, the twin face is kind of the be all twin/deluxe module, its a really cool module, but depending on the day I may like the loneclean a bit better - its pushed sounds are a little more pleasing (just seems to have a little more versatility), mind you both are great. You can't go wrong with either one, though both have been replaced in my rig by the voxyface module (still am keeping all three) - not going anywhere, as when I used to get bored with my clean tone - I would rotate between the twinface and the loneclean - though in the last couple of months I haven't gotten over the honeymoon phase with the voxyface.

To me its just a little more lively tone - again its like the twinface with the twin and deluxe preamp section, but the Vox style eq just adds a bit of top end jangle that works for me. I still like the stock Clean - as I still play some metal type stuff and want the insane "clean" clean for that, but for everything else right now its the voxyface, and it too can get down right gainy depending on the pickups and in the pushed modes, and for clean low gain like it better than the Matchvox, but you can't beat that one for the vox tones cleanish to crunch (in my opinion). But to capture the blues Jr. you wouldn't go wrong with either the Twinface or Loneclean. I can't speak to the Superclean - as thats one of the JF mods I've never tried it (but have tried or own most of the others mentioned here) - as I also have a H-Watt II (with the extra clean mode) and for a clean or pushed clean its great too, but voiced a little different than the fender style modules, but another one you wouldn't go wrong with - as it does clean to low/mid gain really well.

I'm in the same team as you - I play blues and classic rock, no metal - so I can empathize with what you're looking for.

Don't overlook some of the stock Randall modules that you haven't tried yet.

I bought a completely stock CLEAN module for about $80 a while back and it's been a great addition to my rack. It takes pedals well and both humbuckers and single coils sound good through it. I use it for the Mark Knopfler tunes we cover.

Another cheap purchase was a stock Deluxe module that cuts through the band mix nicely.

I have a JF OD Special that has a wonderful warm overdrive sound but I'm having trouble dialing it in to cut through a band mix. It sounds great at home but I have yet to figure out how to use it on the road.

There ya go ... that's my 10 cents. Hope it helps.

If you want to hear the LoneClean by Salvation I did an audio demo a while ago..my chops on it suck, but its a good demo for hearing what that module can do. Its on Salvations websi e last I looked.
again, my playing was sub par (and the midid sync wasnt cooperating..) but that shows you all kinds of LoneClean tones.
GtrGeorge

Latest posts