Suitable FX processor

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notyet

Reaction score
What do you folks find works well in the line level effects loop on RP amps?

I thought I might like to 4cm something but I'm pretty sure that the built-in models on anything are going to be a disappointment anyway, so I might as well just stick with something for time based effects like delay, reverb and maybe a looper.

If you want something simple and cheap, Rocktron Intellifex or TC G-major

As far as modelling on those 4CM-capable boxes:
Yup, unless it's an Axe-FX, they won't be the best out there, but from reliable sources,
something like the Digitech GSP1101 still has top notch fx in it, and it's not like you're forced to use the ampsims

I had to sell my axe-fx II and thats what brought me here. Getting another one would negate the need for the Randall in all honesty.

I tried an RP1000 but have yet to really get on with it, even in a regular loop configuration.

I wonder if either of the little Zoom stereo-in/out multistomps would work. I can't find an indication if they can handle line level.

I use the digitech gsp 1101 with the foot controller and it is great. Using 4CM I have tons of options. I am a complete midiot but can program this. I can switch patches and it switches to the module that I want in my RM4. Totally simple and also sounds f-ing great!

Etc electronics ditto for the looper... 120 bucks and does exactly what it should do without all the extra bs that no one really uses..
For the chorus/verb/delay - definitely the lexicon pcm 80/81. Can be had for about 450 ... well worth the money... trust me on that.
I've never heard a more lush pristine unit.
Just my two cents :)

Etc electronics ditto for the looper... 120 bucks and does exactly what it should do without all the extra bs that no one really uses..
For the chorus/verb/delay - definitely the lexicon pcm 80/81. Can be had for about 450 ... well worth the money... trust me on that.
I've never heard a more lush pristine unit.
Just my two cents :)

RAdkins said:
I have ran my Zoom MS-50 in the serial effect loop without a issue at least to my ears. Cool little pedal.

Did you have to turn the module volume below 12 o'clock to keep the MS-50 from distorting?

I live in an apartment so I don't turn up the module volume past 9 o'clock. I will give it a try later this afternoon.

I have some cheap garbage Behringer digital delay that I put in the parallel loop on my RM50. I have to turn the module down to about 10 o'clock or so to keep the behringer from distorting. This is almost certainly a worst case.

I'd like to try a Zoom MS-series in this duty but I don't really want to have to order one and flip it if it doesn't work out.

The rp1000 seems to work but is a bit large for me.

I am currently using an HD500 in 4CM. Effects are pretty good, but I will qualify that I am not an effects power user so my opinion on the quality is...well just an opinion.

Its a great unit though and I can do a lot with it. Plus some of the models are actually pretty good. I have dialed in some really good mid and high gain tones as well as some clean tones that aren't too bad.
I think used you can find them in the $350 range.
What is nice about them is if you do find some good modeling patches you can add a lot of different sounds between the amps preamp modules and the modeling as from one patch to the next you can either use the HD500 preamp or that of the Randall or Egnater amp you have.
And should your amp go down you still have a functioning preamp and FX unit that can go right to the board.

Same can be said for the GSP 1101. I haven't used it with my MOD50, but I did have one a few years ago and it worked just as well. Separate rack mount unit and floor board though where the HD500 is all in one.

I'm using a VOX ToneLab LE, direct into the input of my RM100. However, it can certainly be used in the 4CM, I just dont want to waste all that setup time when setting up/tearing down at gigs. This unit has great effects, great overdrives, a geniuine VOX wah/assignable expression pedal, very sturdy all-metal construction, easily interfaces with the RM100 and switches modules/channels, and even does some pretty convincing modeling. I picked mine up used from GC for $150... As above, it can also be used as a backup for your amp, by using the models DI to the PA. I also like that I can use it late at night, for practice with headphones, and it sounds really good (much better than Line 6 stuff IMO). All in all I think it's a perfect solution if you dont want rack-mount gear, which I dont.

Get a Axe FX Standard or Ultra for FX only, much cheaper than the Axe II and for FX use the Ultra is pretty similar in power (the Standard a bit weaker).

To illustrate the point I use a Axe Ultra for FX only with various tube preamps and a Two Notes Torpedo, and I can get a solid 18 FX running on the Ultra (1 comp, 1 stereo chorus, 1 gate, 1 wah, 2 stereo delays, 1 looper, 2 stereo pitch shifters, 3 mixers, 3 eq's, 2 stereo reverbs, 1 mono or stereo convolution speaker/cab/mic sim) at 70% CPU.

Low latency, unmatched routing and external control, all the power of a refrigerator sized rack in 2U and 10 lbs.