Switchblade 8F SALE!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charfett said:
So what exactly is your current set up then MarcoR?

Well being you asked :D
16292067183_163258a92f_z.jpg

16912071225_cb807d73d7_z.jpg

16292044453_11c4232e40_z.jpg

Marco, ...and just to try to clear this up a little more, so you get where I'm coming from on this. I bought the GSP partly with the idea/hope that since it was digitech, that the reverb in it would basically be the same as the Supernatural. I was hoping I'd end up w an adjustable Supernatural and save some presets. I knew it didn't have the "Supernatural" setting, but I was hoping the other settings would be the same/similar. Especially the Plate verb I was hoping would be the same. If it did NOTHING else, and was able to do that... I'd love it. Unfortunately, the reverb in the GSP is not exactly like the Supernatural. It is "similar" in "some" respects, but it is not the same. The differences are too great, and I pretty much don't like the reverb in the GSP. I also (back in the day) used to use an IPS-33, and I was interested to see that the GSP also supposedly had the IPS built in. Unfortunately just like the reverb, it fell short of the original effect. The GSP was a shot in the dark. It didn't work out for me. I haven't even turned it on in more than a week. The only reason I haven't sold it or thrown it away is that it can load IR's. ;)

suphuckers said:
I probably should just skip the next few purchases and buy an Axe-FX II XL ;)

Nooooo!!! Don't go to the dark side!! Actually, if I was gigging every night and had to haul equipment, I would get one in a minute.

MarcoR said:
suphuckers said:
I probably should just skip the next few purchases and buy an Axe-FX II XL ;)

Nooooo!!! Don't go to the dark side!! Actually, if I was gigging every night and had to haul equipment, I would get one in a minute.

Well I wouldn't be buying it for the amp models. That's another reason I still don't own one. It's kind of nuts to spend $2000 for what I'd use it for.

I love the Modules. I can't imagine replacing them with Models.

What's probably going to happen is that I'll end up buying a Mobius and putting it next to the Super Delay and the SuperNatural. It wont be perfect, but that's OK.

If that turns out to not be good enough Ill probably end up buying a Timeline and a BigSky, and then when that's not good enough I'll be back looking at AxeFX again. By then they'll have something new out... the saga continues... LoL

suphuckers said:
I've put that Supernatural up against a lot of rverbs. Holy Grail, Hall of Fame, etc. I have a buncha rverbs in my DAW (Including the Lexicon's) and it's hard to beat the Supernatural.

I've heard nothing but good things about it. I got the Hardwire delay on the Musicians Friend blow out and planned to use it on my small "B" rig. It sounds great!

Contrary to the impression I may leave, I'm not a total gear snob. I can get by with a pretty basic setup for a band situation. Playing live is when I prefer simplicity.

suphuckers said:
you've got me looking at that echolution though ;)

You know, I almost sent it back at first. It doesn't do a pristine delay at all and that's what I use for my lead sounds. Once I took my blinders off and tried it for what it does well (tape/analog/modulation), I started to really appreciate it.

With the Switchblade, I can put it before my looper and record a loop with it, then put it after the looper and mangle the loop and get some crazy textures. It also does the oscillating delay feedback regeneration thing I haven't had since my last analog delay in about 1987.

I had to put the Echolution in the rack; the knobs beg to be twisted and it will provide all kinds of kaotic surprises in musical ways. Lots of fun!

MarcoR said:
Contrary to the impression I may leave, I'm not a total gear snob.

Well I might be a bit of a snob. I'm not afraid to admit it lmao.

I'm not just sitting here throwing out comments without some kind of reason behind it either. ;)

The reason I don't like the Eventide stuff is pretty simple really. The returns are sharp and somewhat flatter than the returns on the SuperDelay/SuperNatural. I can even hear it in your Zep clip you made the other week. I didn't want to say anything when I listened to the clip, but since we're talking about it....

It's almost like the Eventide stuff sounds like (to me) that I'm standing in the corner, and I hear the harsh echo's off of the corner. The waves are even, and build somewhat evenly in intensity, and then they smack the wall and get shoved into my ear again. I prefer (for my ears) to hear the returns gain evenly as they approach, but when they get to my ear they should swell and intensify. Then they should fall off and move away as if I were standing in the middle of the room. Like a wave that went over me. The Eventide stuff never intensifies (except when it ice picks my ear LoL) and it doesn't have that bubble or liveliness when it gets to my ears. It's like a flat boring wave that bounces off a nearby wall and then ice picks my skull. It's deep in the encoding of those effects. Sometimes the timing seems a bit off to me too... Anyways, I'm not saying they aren't good... I know sometimes when I describe stuff it might seem like I saying "ohhh gawd what a horrible sound it makes" but that's not really what I mean.

Its almost like they did all this analyzing, and they made the effects to mimic the results, but they didn't take into consideration the dynamics of the human ear. No machine or analyzer can accurately record how an ear hears something. You need to take a step back from the analyzing to hear what it really "sounds" like. It sounds (to me) like they (and a lot of other people that make this stuff) have their heads stuck too far up their analyzers ;)

The GSP has some of that same stuff going on too.

suphuckers said:
MarcoR said:
Contrary to the impression I may leave, I'm not a total gear snob.

Well I might be a bit of a snob. I'm not afraid to admit it lmao.

I'm not just sitting here throwing out comments without some kind of reason behind it either. ;)

The reason I don't like the Eventide stuff is pretty simple really. The returns are sharp and somewhat flatter than the returns on the SuperDelay/SuperNatural. I can even hear it in your Zep clip you made the other week. I didn't want to say anything when I listened to the clip, but since we're talking about it....

It's almost like the Eventide stuff sounds like (to me) that I'm standing in the corner, and I hear the harsh echo's off of the corner. The waves are even, and build somewhat evenly in intensity, and then they smack the wall and get shoved into my ear again. I prefer (for my ears) to hear the returns gain evenly as they approach, but when they get to my ear they should swell and intensify. Then they should fall off and move away as if I were standing in the middle of the room. Like a wave that went over me. The Eventide stuff never intensifies (except when it ice picks my ear LoL) and it doesn't have that bubble or liveliness when it gets to my ears. It's like a flat boring wave that bounces off a nearby wall and then ice picks my skull. It's deep in the encoding of those effects. Sometimes the timing seems a bit off to me too... Anyways, I'm not saying they aren't good... I know sometimes when I describe stuff it might seem like I saying "ohhh gawd what a horrible sound it makes" but that's not really what I mean.

Its almost like they did all this analyzing, and they made the effects to mimic the results, but they didn't take into consideration the dynamics of the human ear. No machine or analyzer can accurately record how an ear hears something. You need to take a step back from the analyzing to hear what it really "sounds" like. It sounds (to me) like they (and a lot of other people that make this stuff) have their heads stuck too far up their analyzers ;)

The GSP has some of that same stuff going on too.

My wife didn't like the sound in that clip either. Not to make excuses but it did sound better in the room and it was just a factory preset I found as I was scrolling through sounds. Typically, I roll my own presets and use the Eclipse only for a pretty basic room reverb with very little or no modulation and pristine delays that don't impart any additional color. I also use it for a Whammy effect. We all hear differently and to me, it has a higher level of quality than anything I've used in the past and a nice step up from the Factor pedals.

I wouldn't try to sell you on it. My only opinion is I think the H9 craze is silly when you can get a used Eclipse for $900. Oviously you would have no use for an H9. :lol:

WOW! Kinda sorry I asked. Think I'll avoid that rabbit hole. LOL! Seriously nice though man. I'm kinda digging the pedal in front of the amp and processor in the loop idea. I found a TC G Major for $200 I might pick up to run through the loop.

Charfett said:
WOW! Kinda sorry I asked. Think I'll avoid that rabbit hole. LOL! Seriously nice though man. I'm kinda digging the pedal in front of the amp and processor in the loop idea. I found a TC G Major for $200 I might pick up to run through the loop.

That would work nicely. :D

I know it all depends on tastes and what one wants to accomplish so the question is:
What's your preference A or B?

A: Go for a +/-$900 on a multieffects unit that will do most time based effects (included a wha and whammy in some cases) with pretty good quality plus a phaser and a drive (~$300) for in front of the amp.

B Go for +/-200 on each separate effect as a stomp pedal (delay, reverb, chorus, phaser, tremolo, wha, etc) and get a pedalboard.

Why? Will you compromise one or two effects for convenience of portability and size or versatility over rig size?

Of course that in both cases you most likely want a mixer anyway, looper (to avoid tap dancing) power supply and the necessary connection cables to make all work.

I'm not a huge effects junkie and just recently got into using some minimal effects.
I'm leaning towards A, I think one can get a less expensive multi fx unit if you're in a budget and get away with good guitar tones.

I already know which option Marco and suphuckers will go for :D

Splitting the difference is easier after trying it each way in my opinion.
But let the pictures tell the story...

Here is my old board (rack on the floor approach):
15934743995_5be7afee39_c.jpg

Here is the bottom (Wanna wire something like that up?):
15908910496_64f70ea679_c.jpg

Here is the pile of cable after removing the Eventide pedals, mini mixer and power supply:
16100020995_71f8460353_c.jpg

My new approach is much easier to deal with.

yeah there's no perfect answer. (That I can see)

btw Marco... Just so we're clear... I don't think I used the words "don't like" when it comes to your clip ;)

The reason I didn't mention it before was because it wasn't worth mentioning. I didn't wanna ruin your experience with your new toy.

j4q0 said:
Of course that in both cases you most likely want a mixer anyway, looper (to avoid tap dancing)
Mixer's/looper's don't eliminate tap dancing. They can lessen it, but anytime a non midi pedal is involved there's probably going to be some kind of tap dancing

The only way to eliminate tap dancing is the all in one solution. I just don't see one that I like enough.

I really wish the Empress guys had better midi support. Even then there are other effects I think I'd like besides just theirs.

MarcoR said:
Splitting the difference is easier after trying it each way in my opinion.
But let the pictures tell the story...

Here is my old board (rack on the floor approach):

Here is the pile of cable after removing the Eventide pedals, mini mixer and power supply:
16100020995_71f8460353_c.jpg

My new approach is much easier to deal with.

My junk looks more like whats on the left side over there LoL

I just have all of my **** strung across the floor. It changes too often to build it into anything so elaborate.

I think we all just need a guy standing by to hit the buttons. That should solve all of our problems ;)

Mixer's/looper's don't eliminate tap dancing. They can lessen it said:
Of course the mixer has nothing to do with tap dancing :lol: I meant this for when you have a midi controller that can control your looper (and your mixer in the case of the Switchblade) Also, I think there are some floorboard loopers that have some sort of MIDI implementation being able to send both CC and PC commands, thus eliminating tap dancing to a some extent extent.

For me, I wouldn't use stomp boxes that aren't MIDI controllable, or at least I'd try to avoid them.

I see my rig becoming very similar to Marco's current set up, though I'd try to use less boxes as I don't use many effects, ...but there's always the possibility of acquiring more and more gear with time :lol:

j4q0 said:
Of course the mixer has nothing to do with tap dancing :lol: I meant this for when you have a midi controller that can control your looper (and your mixer in the case of the Switchblade) Also, I think there are some floorboard loopers that have some sort of MIDI implementation being able to send both CC and PC commands, thus eliminating tap dancing to a some extent extent.
Yeah I knew what you meant. I have one of those "floorboard loopers with midi". It helps with the tap dancing, but it's not nearly enough. The only way that stuff eliminates tap dancing is if you only want to use one setting on each of your pedals/effects.

j4q0 said:
For me, I wouldn't use stomp boxes that aren't MIDI controllable, or at least I'd try to avoid them.

..and the problem is (IMO) the best effects don't seem to come in midi controllable boxes. So you get mediocre effects or you tap dance, whats your pleasure? This is kind of the point of some of this discussion.

j4q0 said:
I see my rig becoming very similar to Marco's current set up, though I'd try to use less boxes as I don't use many effects, ...but there's always the possibility of acquiring more and more gear with time :lol:

I'm pretty sure Marco and I would both love one rack box that had all of the awesome effects that we want, all in one nice neat midi controllable unit... Wouldn't you like that Marco? I know I would.

Let us know when you find it. heh

suphuckers said:
I have one of those "floorboard loopers with midi". It helps with the tap dancing, but it's not nearly enough. The only way that stuff eliminates tap dancing is if you only want to use one setting on each of your pedals/effects.

Luckily, this is my case; the only thing on my board I would change the settings on is the tremolo.

suphuckers said:
..and the problem is (IMO) the best effects don't seem to come in midi controllable boxes. So you get mediocre effects or you tap dance, whats your pleasure? This is kind of the point of some of this discussion.
I'm glad I don't share your opinion or it would be pretty frustrating.
IMO (and many of the musicians I respect and major studios all over the world) the best effects do have midi capabilities to control the parameters you would want to manipulate while performing or control by a sequencer.

It is too bad some of the great boxes you found don't have midi but I wouldn't need it with the Empress Super Delay. You have tap tempo and can control the mix or feedback with an expression pedal. You can save 8 presets and navigate them from the footswitches. Put it in a midi looper/router and your done; you could have it On/Off on a preset or instant access. I could easily work with that and it's all I would need live.

suphuckers said:
I'm pretty sure Marco and I would both love one rack box that had all of the awesome effects that we want, all in one nice neat midi controllable unit... Wouldn't you like that Marco? I know I would.

Let us know when you find it. heh

For convenience, yes I would. I had a G-System that I hoped would accomplish that but I preferred my analog pedals and it ended becoming a glorified switching system. In the end I just used the reverb and delay and I never really loved the reverb.

For about 15 years of gigging regularly, I just used an Intelifex, a Crybaby and a simple midi controller that just did program changes. It got the job done and I always got compliments on my sound. That was before collecting gear became a hobby; back then, I was playing to put food on the table and couldn't afford a $40 overdrive.

I still think the Intellifex was a great box. I got an Xpression eventually to replace it thinking it would be an upgrade with the better converters... I was so disappointed with that piece of crap, and that's when I went back to all pedals. The Xpression crapped out after 3 weeks... Junk.

I think I have more than enough now to keep me occupied for a long time and I still have the PCM80 and an Ensoniq DP Pro if I get bored. I'm still looking for a good deal on a Korg DL8000R then my collection of classics would be complete.
:twisted:

Latest posts