T2 Tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I is be sexy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I love the T2 sound - ridiculously tight and HUGE - and I think it would be great in an RM100: 3 channels vs 2, independent EQ vs shared, etc. The problem is, the T2 obviously gets a lot of its sound from that huge ss power amp. Do you guys think that if I got an RM100 (I've only got an RM50 now) and switched the tubes out for KT88s I could get a similarly huge and tight tone? And which module(s) would work well for a T2 sound... Angel? I've already got a Hilly Scorch and a Gigmods KH-3, so if you guys think one of them would work, I'd be glad to hear it, but if not, please lead me in the right direction :)

I would guess, that no matter what, a tube power section is going to differ some from a SS one. I think there is a possibility that it will sound even better with a set of 6L6 or 6550s. As far as the voicing, I'll bet it is voiced similarly to the Ultra or UltraXL. Since they are Randall's own creations. I'd get an Ultra XL and get it modded to take it to clean it up and to add a tightness switch and maybe a gain/voicing switch. IMO that should get er' done. :D

Daryl said:
I would guess, that no matter what, a tube power section is going to differ some from a SS one. I think there is a possibility that it will sound even better with a set of 6L6 or 6550s. As far as the voicing, I'll bet it is voiced similarly to the Ultra or UltraXL. Since they are Randall's own creations. I'd get an Ultra XL and get it modded to take it to clean it up and to add a tightness switch and maybe a gain/voicing switch. IMO that should get er' done. :D

Thanks! I used to have a modded Ultra (Kyle's Dragon) but I traded it away (probably shouldn't have)... I still have another stock Ultra that I haven't tried in a while, maybe I'll fire it up. I need to get a power supply for my boost first, though... and I still don't have KT88s or 6550s... or an RM100 at all for that matter... or speakers I like... :lol:

EDIT: I also need a graphic EQ pedal or rack unit...

I dont have a t2 but have a v2 archetype and the with the notch to the right on my Mamba SE module I get pretty close to the archetype. Very close territory as far as the low mids and bass is conserned. Obviously the upper mids and highs are pretty different, but the mamba is not based off the v2.
I know that the t2 and v2 are not the exact same but I think it may be possible to capture the t2 sound in a module. I have actually been thinkin about trying to make a module to sound like the archetype.

Hope my rambleing helped somewhat.

Forgot to add:
With an external eq i can get pretty close to the archeytpe sound with an ultra xl and a kh-3.
The interesting thing is that I get closer with th kh-3 than the ultra xl. The kh-3 just has the right gain structure and saturation to get that v2 sound. The ultra xl has too much saturation compared to the archetype.

JeffHenneman said:
Forgot to add:
With an external eq i can get pretty close to the archeytpe sound with an ultra xl and a kh-3.
The interesting thing is that I get closer with th kh-3 than the ultra xl. The kh-3 just has the right gain structure and saturation to get that v2 sound. The ultra xl has too much saturation compared to the archetype.

Awesome, thanks. Hopefully, when I get an external EQ, I can get similar results with my modded KH-3. Do you use your external EQ for pre-gain, post-gain, or both? Any chance I could get a general idea of your settings? :)

Rising Farce said:
I haven't played a T2, but the Mamba through KT88s does indeed produce the kind of huge, tight, "hi-fi" sound you seem to be looking for.

Cool, so two people have mentioned the Mamba, thanks. The Mamba is based on a Framus Cobra, which is kinda like a tighter Recto, right? Might my Scorch get pretty close to a Mamba tone?

Sorry about questioning my own modules' tones, guys, but besides having several variables in my current setup that differ from what I eventually plan on having, I'm also not allowed to use my amp in my dorm :(

I is be sexy said:
Cool, so two people have mentioned the Mamba, thanks. The Mamba is based on a Framus Cobra, which is kinda like a tighter Recto, right? Might my Scorch get pretty close to a Mamba tone?

Tighter and more refined, yes.

The Scorch sounded more like a Mark Series amp to me (John Sykes' Mark III, to be precise), but it's in the ballpark. I'd work with that first, and locate a Mamba if the Scorch doesn't do the job.

I have a couple sets of 6550's that I am not using. If you are interested, send me a PM and maybe we can work out a deal on one set to use in the RM50.

I prefer 34's in my RM100 but lost a pair a couple months ago so I replaced them with 6L6's. The 6550's are tighter, more low end, and have a lot more headroom than the 34's so maybe that will get you closer to what you are looking for.

Rising Farce said:

The Scorch sounded more like a Mark Series amp to me (John Sykes' Mark III, to be precise), but it's in the ballpark. I'd work with that first, and locate a Mamba if the Scorch doesn't do the job.

Alright, cool. Thanks.

Didn't think of this til now... If I've got my terms straight, the T2 is kinda "dry," right? I know VHT type mods would also be considered "dry," but which others would? KH-3 maybe? Some Marshalls?

eyeball987 said:
I have a couple sets of 6550's that I am not using. If you are interested, send me a PM and maybe we can work out a deal on one set to use in the RM50. .

PM'd

I is be sexy said:
Rising Farce said:

Alright, cool. Thanks.

Didn't think of this til now... If I've got my terms straight, the T2 is kinda "dry," right? I know VHT type mods would also be considered "dry," but which others would? KH-3 maybe? Some Marshalls?

eyeball987 said:
I have a couple sets of 6550's that I am not using. If you are interested, send me a PM and maybe we can work out a deal on one set to use in the RM50. .

PM'd

Jaded Faith does a great VHT mod. I had an early one and only traded it to try something else.

PM replied.