This SL+ C3 mod I keep hearing about...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinozoku

Reaction score
What value are people replacing their C3 with on the SL+ module?

I really like it after I got the JCM800 mod done to it (yes, we fixed it :D), but I'm wondering if people are putting .0022 or even the .0047 in their SL+. What kind of sound should I expect from either of these caps?

Higher the value of the cap the looser the bass will be. For example, if you put a .001 cap then that would be the tightest.

trendkill1168 said:
Higher the value of the cap the looser the bass will be. For example, if you put a .001 cap then that would be the tightest.
I'm quite aware of that, I've read the exact same article.
SacredGroove said:
I have a .0015 and .0022 in my SL+. I tried a .0033, but it was too much low end. The .0015 works good because the JCM800 mod adds mids, so the .001 seems too thin.
Interesting... The Ultra XL has a .0015 in it. So you have BOTH caps in there with a switch to go between them, or have you just tried both?

Awesome, thanks for the info :) Is there a specific switch type you'd recommend, or will anything (aside from a light switch and things of that sort, obviously) do?

EDIT: Scratch that question, in stalking you and your posts to find out the info you just gave me, I found out the answer to that question too :p

Bumping this to ask what the minimum voltage handling I'll need for the C3 cap? I have a few caps I recently got but they aren't as wide as the ones in my module C3 positions, so I just wanna make sure I've got the right voltage (the two mylar film caps I have are 100v, the ceramic disk is 1kv)

Shinozoku said:
Bumping this to ask what the minimum voltage handling I'll need for the C3 cap? I have a few caps I recently got but they aren't as wide as the ones in my module C3 positions, so I just wanna make sure I've got the right voltage (the two mylar film caps I have are 100v, the ceramic disk is 1kv)

You might wanna try 600v i think that the 100v wil burst or melt after a short time, Try the Sprague Orange Drop 715p rated at 600 or 630v any way smallbearelec.com has them for cheap. they also supply the switches you will need for the rest of the mod.

Sacredgroove did my SL+ to JCM800 mod and its such a sick module now. PROPS to SACRED

How much is shipping usually from smallbear? I'm very poor, you see, and prefer to go to local places for my caps :D

Also, what's the tonal difference between ceramic disk and mylar film caps?

One more question: Can I get a diagram of how to actually wire this switch up? :D

I've seen 500V caps in there...like some of the smaller silver-mica caps...I think my Mr Scary came with a 500V cap as stock for example....600V is on the side of caution and most modules have a 600V cap.

Shinozoku said:
One more question: Can I get a diagram of how to actually wire this switch up? :D

I'd like some info on this as well. I have an extra .001 orange drop cap laying around that I would like to put on a switch, yet I have no idea how to do so.

400v will work fine. I wouldn't put anything lower in C3 voltage wise.

Pete

okstrat said:
400v will work fine. I wouldn't put anything lower in C3 voltage wise.

Pete
Thanks, Pete :D

Anything on any of the other questions, like how to wire it up? I found an explanation in an earlier thread, but it wasn't very specific.

Rellik said:
Shinozoku said:

I'd like some info on this as well. I have an extra .001 orange drop cap laying around that I would like to put on a switch, yet I have no idea how to do so.

I posted this on here...explained it for a couple of people.

I can try and find it for ya..or you can search on my username (good luck with that! :D )

I found one of the threads, which was about switch Resistors..but the same principle applies:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5362&highlight=switch

JKD said:
Rellik said:
Shinozoku said:

I can try and find it for ya..or you can search on my username (good luck with that! :D )

I found one of the threads, which was about switch Resistors..but the same principle applies:

Okay, so building on that I would have to basically put an on/off switch in there with a .0015uF as the basis and just attach the switch to a .0007uF cap or something to bring it up to .0022? I'm very new to the world of electronics :lol:

Shinozoku said:
JKD said:
Rellik said:
Shinozoku said:

Okay, so building on that I would have to basically put an on/off switch in there with a .0015uF as the basis and just attach the switch to a .0007uF cap or something to bring it up to .0022? I'm very new to the world of electronics :lol:

Yeah...a Double Pole switch (DPST = DP on/off I think it is for one additional cap value...DPDT w/center off for two additional cap values).... you just might find that 0.0007 (700pf) is not very common value...500pF and 1000pf (0.001uf) is readily available.

Hardest part is drilling the faceplate actually :D

JKD said:
Shinozoku said:
JKD said:
Rellik said:
Shinozoku said:

Yeah...a Double Pole switch (DPST = DP on/off I think it is for one additional cap value...DPDT w/center off for two additional cap values).... you just might find that 0.0007 (700pf) is not very common value...500pF and 1000pf (0.001uf) is readily available.

Hardest part is drilling the faceplate actually :D
Sweet, thanks :D