Top Boost not as clean as it should be?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deedub

Reaction score
First off, Hi there... I'm new to the forums.

I picked up a RM 50 a few weeks ago, and after finally deciding what modules to try first, I went for the Top Boost and a Plexi. Plexi sounds great, but the Top Boost module seems to be WAY more overdriven than it should, even at the lowest gain settings.

If this has been covered before, I apologize. The search function didn't really nail anything down.

Is there a mod that gets the Top Boost module to a truer Vox clean sound?

Top Boost is an AC30 with a gained up Top Boost Circuit...look here:

http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html

I have to say you didn't look very hard because it's stickied right at the top of this section ;)

Thanks.

It's quite possible I didn't look as hard as I should have... I'd been up for about 20 hours at that point. I hate working early shift. :cry:

Anyways... thanks for the info. What kind of resistor (metal film, carbon, etc.) is recommended for this particular mod? Or any of the mods, for that matter.

deedub said:
Thanks.

It's quite possible I didn't look as hard as I should have... I'd been up for about 20 hours at that point. I hate working early shift. :cry:

Anyways... thanks for the info. What kind of resistor (metal film, carbon, etc.) is recommended for this particular mod? Or any of the mods, for that matter.

Any will do...I just bought the little blue 1/4W and 1/2W (Metal Oxide?) ones at Radio Shack

I,too, find I have too much gain in my TopBoost.
Please, if you wouldnt mind, share your experiences after you do the mod.
I am comtemplating swiching tubes..as opposed to soldering and unsoldering a few things. I think a less high gain tube may do the trick, as well. Besides..I suck with a soldering iron.
PS: those clips are cool...but I wish there was narration, to clarify even better whats what. oh well..cant have everything.

GtrGeorge! said:
I am comtemplating swiching tubes..as opposed to soldering and unsoldering a few things. I think a less high gain tube may do the trick, as well. Besides..I suck with a soldering iron.
PS: those clips are cool...but I wish there was narration, to clarify even better whats what. oh well..cant have everything.

I did the AC30 mod on my Top Boost module....it's a very cool chimey clean but I quickly put it back to stock....the Top Boost excels at what it does IMO and decided not to mess with it :D

I do like the Randall Super V for a clean with breakup though....and that's pretty similar to a modded Top Boost but with a bit more gain.

I sold my Top Boost and kept the Super V..best of both worlds.

I put a 12AU7 in the first position on mine, cleaned it up a lot while also decreasing it's volume, works ok for me?

GtrGeorge! said: