Trying to get that Killswitch tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TORMENT FAKTORY

Reaction score
I've been chasing that tone that Killswitch engage has for a couple of years now. WHat module would you guys say has the closest tone to it? I'm trying to obtain an Ultra XL right now (and selling my KH3 to make room for it if anyone is interested) because I've heard that it's the closest, but I'd like to hear what you all think.

I don't think the U/XL will do it. I could be wrong, I only had one for a week and wasn't into it. The last I read, KSE uses Mesa Road Kings live, but the last two albums were recorded with Soldano and Framus.

Mr Scary w/ maxon 808 boost for As Daylight Dies.
Grail w/ maxon 808 boost for The End of Heartache (and probably earlier)

If you tweak long enough you'll get really close. I like their tones too. :D

I've been working on this tone too. Tone chasing is a losing battle...

Try EMG 81 pickups and a distortion pedal paired with a Framus or Mesa type module. The pedal is mainly for EQ to thin out the bass to make the rhythm clearer. The Tube Screamer patch on my Line6 X3 isn't good enough to mimic a real pedal so I'm stuck.

Yeah, I've been trying it using a tube screamer pedal, then I tried using a Line 6 POD XT pro, then both. I actually wish I hadn't bought the Line 6 unit, it really seems to rob my Lynchbox's natural tube tone and make it sound really digital. I've been thinking that I'm probably gonna sell it and get a Boss GT10 or something just as an effects unit. As far as the module goes, I think you're probably right about the mesa type module, but what module is that that's supposed to sound like a mesa? My guitars all already have EMG 81's so at least I have that part of the chase nailed down. I have come pretty close to emulating KSE's tone with my Line 6 POD farm software. Check out my song "Onslaught" on my myspace site ( www.myspace.com/tormentfaktory ). It's the first one on my player. I think that thats about as close as one can get without buying a Framus Cobra.

basically, Adam D is the mesiah when it comes to making any bands tone crushing. He has a old mesa 4x12 recto that he records EVERYTHING out of. Just drops whoevers head onto it and leaves it like that. They are total Mesa whores and boost the 808's.

Ive heard bands recordings before Adam D from bands and they sound like ****...but when Adam D get's into the mix it's unbelievable.

I think the key is a lot of mids, and that **** unique cab he records out of.

So it looks like now it's a Vintage Modern (new for them), a Triple Recto, and a 5150 mixture........I think it's more of who they are anyway.....they've used so many different amps in the past and they always sound like KSE......tone is in the fingers...........

I can recall they have used the 5150, Rectos, Framus Dragon and Cobra, Hughes and Kettner, Roadster, Splawn Nitro.....and now apparently a Vintage Modern.....

Vintage Modern... anyone heard those amps? havent had the pleasure yet. Dont have a marshall dealer near me except GC, and i dont go there anymore.

droptrd said:
Vintage Modern... anyone heard those amps? havent had the pleasure yet. Dont have a marshall dealer near me except GC, and i dont go there anymore.

ask yngzaklynch about the VM..he really likes 'em

All,
I read many threads on this forum and often wonder why tone chasers don't just buy the gear that people/bands use on specific recordings to find that tone. If you want to sound like KSE, use what they use - no modded Randall module will give you the sound that my Framus Cobra, Mesa Dual/Triple Rectos, or Marshall amps produce. I know, I had a RM100 with many modules. If it is a money issue, I can understand that. The Randall can be an inexpensive alternative to the real thing but with cost of the module and mods, the costs do approach the cost of a good used Framus, Mesa, or Marshall and the sounds are NOT the same. To quote one of your highly respected modders - "It's like a photocopy, but I think the original is best. :)"

I'll disagree...if you mean stock mods, they get the flavor but come up short; but my PeteRecto sounds better than the triple and single recs I went up against. Maybe an early 80s recto is better I hear??
Regardless the mods aren't cheap but they sound infinitely better than a 'photocopy'

Oh the peteSL slays the modern CrapMarshalls!
And if there is a better metal tone than the 1087, I'd like to know

I will assume that your last post has a typo regarding the 80's recto, right? If not, please do your homework before posting.
The bottom line - Mesa's sound like Mesa's, Marshall's sound like Marshall's, and Randall's sound like Randall's. There is so much more to tone than a preamp (or modded preamp) - the transformers used, the components, the tubes, the cabs, etc. all make up the total tone package.
Also, your comment of "sounds infinitely better" is vague. You may think it sounds better because you spent big $$$$$ on it, but it is still a Marshall photocopy.

Mesa Triple said:
the transformers used, the components, the tubes, the cabs, etc.

YES, cables is most important parts of sound! 8)
If somebody believe this all "mojo bullshits", this is his fight and wallet :)

I?m very carefully too about saying something is better than other. This is so subjective that TRUE is impossible. For me Randall MTS is great chance to have high quality tubesound with taste of original. And incredible versatile. So for Ray is his module sounds better then original, you have problem with this??? Buy original recto and be happy.
for example when I tested okstrat plexi with owner of real plexi amp, he said that sounds same, even better, because sounds good in low volume too and original of course not. (just quote) But all this disscusion is funny, because amp is only small part of complete sound. But guitarists dont want to believe it. So they make sellers happy :)

My question is:
for example Why Vai sounds always like Vai?
(doesn?t matter which logo is behind him)

Mesa Triple said:
I will assume that your last post has a typo regarding the 80's recto, right? If not, please do your homework before posting.
The bottom line - Mesa's sound like Mesa's, Marshall's sound like Marshall's, and Randall's sound like Randall's. There is so much more to tone than a preamp (or modded preamp) - the transformers used, the components, the tubes, the cabs, etc. all make up the total tone package.
Also, your comment of "sounds infinitely better" is vague. You may think it sounds better because you spent big $$$$$ on it, but it is still a Marshall photocopy.

I think my statements are valid because 6 people I respect, in a controlled studio environment, selected the PeteRecto over the Triple and Single in a blind test....when you're in a recording envorinment, no one cares about the $ you spent on a module or even the name- they want a great sound. In fact, I spent more money on my Rectifier and DSL/TSL amps than the modules, so that point doesn't work- the modules are relatively inexpensive stock at 100-140 used

Lots of variables involved, and of course YMMV
But I contend that this MTS system does not fall into the category of Randalls sound like Randalls...I don't even like the traditional 'Randall' sound that they have been known for...and many think that a modern Marshall (hello Korg) is more of a photocopy of a quality Marshall tone more so than a promodded SL+! Chew on that....

Amen.......My Friedman modded SL+ kills off all the Marshalls I have ever owned or HEARD! I been playing for 25 years and heard ALOT of amps.

Thats why we call the Hairy Brown eye....THE MARSHALL KILLER!
But what sounds good to me....may not be good for someone else.
"nuff said 8)

Mesa Triple said:
Do the randalls have to be carbon copies of other amps to be concidered good sounding? Why does the recto mod have to sound exactly like the real thing to sound good. Mine doesnt sound excactly like my Rev G DR. I sounds Rectifier-ish. Its a little different than the real one but it still sounds killer. Better than the real thing IMO. The only thing the dual recs and "mesa triple"s have going for them is great low end and good gain. nothing else. The randalls have great lows, mids, highs, gain, everything. So my point is - If the randall doesnt sound exactly dead on like the amp its based on, its a bad thing? I dont see how that is. I have been playing through various Mesa rectifiers and marks since the early 90's - NOT A TYPO - and im loving these randalls. They might not be dead on in some cases, but they get you very close. And sound killer!

Thank you for pointing out errors and keeping this forum grammatically correct.