tube recommendations for various modules- sticky?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried to jump start this a few times, here is my previous post

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9653&highlight=gritty

I'm really happy running my BlackFace with a JAN Philips 5751 in V1, and a Mullard 12AT7/CV4024 in V2. This will be the first combination I try in a BMAN or a T/D (if I can ever get one :( ).

However, I'm pretty much committed to the Tung-Sol in V1 in most of my other modules. The V2 in these modules is either a Penta 12AX7B, or a Penta 12AX7M in my 1087, and a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ in my SL2X (although I'm not totally committed to the Ruby there yet - I had originally ordered that Ruby for something else, and now I'm trying to find a home for it ... same thing with the Penta 7025C I ordered - anyone know a good place for this tube?).

In my Egnater M4DC, I'm also running a Mullard 12AT7 in V? (the upper-right socket labeled "12AT7"), and a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the other socket.

In my Randall RT2/50, I'm running a JAN Philips 5751 in each of the PI sockets (the two outer sockets), and I forget what I'm running in the middle socket, as this is just for the Presence and Density controls (it's either a Tung-Sol, or more likely just a Chinese 12AX7A I had kicking around) . . .

Hey guys,

I just dropped a JAN GE 5751 in V1 of my clean, twinface, loneclean, and top boost as well as the input of my RM4 holding said modules...All I can say is holy crap what a nice difference...Still lots usable gain but cleans are just gorgeous now...

Also put a 5751 in V1 of my Mashall and same thing - just amazing clarity and a very subtle drop in gain...Still more gain than I'll ever use anyway...

Tried a bunch of different tubes in my other modules and have come to the realization that Tung Sols are great...Mullards didn't do anything for me...Way too smooth- if that makes sense...

Just my 02....

Mattfig said:
...Mullards didn't do anything for me...Way too smooth- if that makes sense...
Do you mean the Mullard 12AX7 Reissues, or the 12AT7s? To my ears (although probably not the best barometer), the combination of a 5751 in V1 and a Mullard 12AT7 in V2 is unmatched in my Blackface.

I'm thinking of trying the JP 5751 in V1 of some of my gainier modules in lieu of the Tung-Sols, and then try moving the Tung-Sols to V2 and see how they sound over the Pentas in that spot once the 5751 is sitting in V1 . . .

wakeguitar said:
I've recently been searching for the best preamp tubes - not entirely happy with new production JJ's/tungsol/mullard.

-noted I've only been testing tubes for clean tones lately (blackface/KH1)

I've got a used ANOS Mullard and Telefunken 12AX7s in my KH1. Great tone.

Good job Matt!

I just got a pair of 12ay7/6072s (GE, RCA black plate) for my Tweed and a Raytheon 12ax7 to play with all over. Will report back in a couple days.

LAter!

Hi Folks,

ok, it took a while, but I went in for more pre tubes, I added a pair of NOS 12ax7s, an RCA and GE, put an RCA in V1, and the GE in the Mr. Scary, I got a pair of GT 5751s for the Tweed (will prob stay), a pair of GT 12ax7s for the Plexi (will switch with Mr. Scary), and of course the original Philips 5751 I had in the PI. I am rather happy with the sound of the amp now! I am still itching to try a European made NOS tube in there, but I don't know that the expense is worth it.

Alright, more fun ahead.

Take it easy!

tubes are fun.

I've had good luck with Tung Sol in my v1 with a Shuguang 9th generation 12ax7 in the V2. I also prefer to use 12AT7's in my PI slot.

Interesting.

I am looking for a "weaker" 12ax7 for my plexi module. With the GT or the NOS, its too "crunchy" and does not clean up as well as I would like. Got a EHX on the burner, but maybe someone has a suggestion. I am gonna try the 5751, but it tends to quiet the module a lot. I have some Tung Sols in my Splawn, I will pull one and give it a try.

Keep the posts coming!

dave

speedemon said:
Interesting.

I am looking for a "weaker" 12ax7 for my plexi module. With the GT or the NOS, its too "crunchy" and does not clean up as well as I would like. Got a EHX on the burner, but maybe someone has a suggestion. I am gonna try the 5751, but it tends to quiet the module a lot. I have some Tung Sols in my Splawn, I will pull one and give it a try.

Keep the posts coming!

dave

I just did a test that might or might not help you. My clean module today had three combos of tubes run through it, and funnily enough i went back to what it had (2 sovtek 12ax7s). I like a dirtyish clean tone that gives me a jangle when i push chords with a little dirt and a clean but present sound when doin anything else i guess.

I tried a radiotechnique 12atu i belive a variant of the amperex bugle, with a jj 12ax7 in v2. Result was really clean (sparkling) in fact but also lowered the overall volume too much.

Next i did two jjs and this was tight and puchy. Perfect for what i consider commercial tones if your pushing the picking technique hard. If backed off it sounded like a jazz players dream.

Then i did a sovtek on V1 and a JJ on V2. This was dirtier and probably mor than enough drive for most for a clean channel. Not for me though i went back to the double sovtek . Sounds great for my needs.

Ill try the inverse (swapping the order of the V1 and V2 positions)of these tests if you want and post back the results.

Horns Up
Patrick

Yes!

I am interested in everyone's thoughts, even if (especially?) they are different from mine!

I liked the Sovtek in my Marshalls, wish I still had them!

I found like you, the weaker tube (at, ay, au, I had a gray and black plate ay, so awesome for that Fender clean) lacks the volume needed, but sound fabulous.

I find a JJ in the V1 of the module (and the amp V1) muddy, but fine in V2. (Pickups? volume pots? '57 classics in my axes)

I will be running the tubes from my last post on Sun.

Later!