Ty Tabor Mod/Module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wengnutt

Reaction score
When King's X came through Dallas, I got to talk briefly with Ty about his modules that Jeff Hilligan did for him, and he said it was all custom work. Over on Rig-Talk, Jeff said there were no definite plans to release a "Ty Tabor Sig Module"

I'm just curious if there are any mods available for Ty's overdrive/distortion tone. I think it was the "Gretchen" module is what Jeff built for him. I dont know if it's even possible to take a pre-existing module and mod it to Ty's sound, but it would be pretty badass if so :D

Any thoughts/opinions/info on mods? :lol:

All I know is he uses an Egnater setup with the Randall RT2/50 and Randall cabs with V30s. So I guess you could start with a few of those mods? Names the VX, SL, the aforementioned Gretchen, and an XV. And of course, he uses a Duncan JB in the bridge and neck positions (for his drop A and his blue D standard guitar though he's got a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge).

You probably know this already, but Ty played a solid-state Lab Series amp thru marshall 1960 cabs for all the albums up thru Ear Candy; I had one of those amps back in the 80's and the distortion was pretty mild, and not bad for ss. My guess is his Gretchen mod is modeled after that amp. IMO, the amp wasn't as important as his guitar for that unique tone of his in the early years; not many guys were playing heavy stuff in the late 80's with single-coil pups; Ty used both stock Fender Strat pups and Joe Bardens. I've gotten pretty close with his early tone by running a strat thru a stock SuperV or Pete-modded JTM with the gain at 3:00 or higher, then compressing the crap outta the signal with an Xpression.

Of course his tone and gear changed a LOT after Ear Candy.

I think Egnater can actually make you the same module he made for Ty. I've heard of guys trying to duplicate his tone though and because they don't play like him it sounds real different.

LoD21 said:
I think Egnater can actually make you the same module he made for Ty. I've heard of guys trying to duplicate his tone though and because they don't play like him it sounds real different.

Jeff Hilligan posted on Egnater forum that he's going to talk to Ty about it when he gets to visit them during a gig back east that's coming up.....talk about a cool job! :twisted:

dboy5150 said:
You probably know this already, but Ty played a solid-state Lab Series amp thru marshall 1960 cabs for all the albums up thru Ear Candy; I had one of those amps back in the 80's and the distortion was pretty mild, and not bad for ss. My guess is his Gretchen mod is modeled after that amp. IMO, the amp wasn't as important as his guitar for that unique tone of his in the early years; not many guys were playing heavy stuff in the late 80's with single-coil pups; Ty used both stock Fender Strat pups and Joe Bardens. I've gotten pretty close with his early tone by running a strat thru a stock SuperV or Pete-modded JTM with the gain at 3:00 or higher, then compressing the crap outta the signal with an Xpression.

Of course his tone and gear changed a LOT after Ear Candy.

I was pretty interested in his Lab5 sound that he did, but his Dual Rectifier tone on Dogman is BRUTAL. Thats probably the best sound I've ever heard come out of a rectifier before. I heard on Earcandy he used a Marshall 6100 head, and then after that it was a Mesa Rectifier preamp through a Mesa 2:90. I think probably my favorite tone so far is Tapehead which I can get pretty close to. The earlier stuff is just almost impossible in one module. I figured I'd probably have use a bit compression and chorus with some single coil pickups.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to try the SuperV sometime 8)

LoD21 said:

Yep, the only problem is that Jeff from Egnater isnt making them for production. I dont even think they're doing custom orders. My buddy went to see them in Austin recently and Ty said that even HE had trouble getting the modules! LOL! Probably because it's such a unique sound. Jeff spent over a year with an exact replica of Ty's rig and tweaked the module he was building until it sounded just right.

JKD said:
LoD21 said:

Jeff Hilligan posted on Egnater forum that he's going to talk to Ty about it when he gets to visit them during a gig back east that's coming up.....talk about a cool job! :twisted:

SWEET SASSY MOLASSY! Thats AWESOME! :twisted:
(crossing fingers for a single channel Ty overdrive module)

I am not a stalker of Ty's sound..but I respect him tremdously.
If you liked his sound on "Ogre Tones"..its a hell of alot like my TopBoost!
Granted I play single coil passive pickups or lower output passive Humbuckers on a Strat. Into a MTS TopBoost and Celestion V30s..its really close.
..and with a name like "Ogre Tones"...The band must have thought it was a good sound, as well.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
I am not a stalker of Ty's sound..but I respect him tremdously.
If you liked his sound on "Ogre Tones"..its a hell of alot like my TopBoost!
Granted I play single coil passive pickups or lower output passive Humbuckers on a Strat. Into a MTS TopBoost and Celestion V30s..its really close.
..and with a name like "Ogre Tones"...The band must have thought it was a good sound, as well.
GtrGeorge

I actually just over the past year got into Ty's sound. I've loved almost all of his tones (except for the POD rig) and I would love a solo channel thats similar to his early distortion sound. It's pretty amazing he got it through a Lab5.

I'll check out the Top Boost! Thanks!

If I get the green light from Ty at this weekends show. The 2 modules I did for him will be special order only. He is also using Motor City pickups in his black LaMara guitar that he is using on tour.
Look the big fear is that Ty thinks it's his older tones. Is it exact no, but he said 98% there with the Gretchen module and his really gainy tone is a modified EG5. If a customer gets it and it doesn't sound like Ty's gretchen tone then it really becomes fair to say that he is a big part of the unique tone.

He is using the Vx much more this time around he said last week when I talked to him last week. Anyway can't wait to play sound check with the band and essentially the rig I put together for him! Gonna play WWBTBL and fall on me!

Jeff Hilligan said:
If I get the green light from Ty at this weekends show. The 2 modules I did for him will be special order only. He is also using Motor City pickups in his black LaMara guitar that he is using on tour.
Look the big fear is that Ty thinks it's his older tones. Is it exact no, but he said 98% there with the Gretchen module and his really gainy tone is a modified EG5. If a customer gets it and it doesn't sound like Ty's gretchen tone then it really becomes fair to say that he is a big part of the unique tone.

He is using the Vx much more this time around he said last week when I talked to him last week. Anyway can't wait to play sound check with the band and essentially the rig I put together for him! Gonna play WWBTBL and fall on me!
Jeff,you suck man!!!! :lol:

Jeff Hilligan said:

Thats awesome! Thanks for the update Jeff! Hope you're having fun on vacation :p

Hi Jeff, I wanted to take this chance to ask you about the COD module. Are there any plans on releasing a single channel version or a randall counterpart?

I'd give one of my kidneys for a Ty module. King's X is my favorite band.

A lot of Ty's sound is from the heavy chorus. I use a XTC right now for my Ty sound and sometimes a 1086. I should post clips one of these days...

NunSuperior said:
I'd give one of my kidneys for a Ty module. King's X is my favorite band.

A lot of Ty's sound is from the heavy chorus. I use a XTC right now for my Ty sound and sometimes a 1086. I should post clips one of these days...

Please do! I'd love to hear them.

I use the XTC and JTM for Ty sounds as well. Sounds pretty nice.

You would be suprised how dry he runs now. Chorus for cleaner stuff sometimes but man its pretty dry on stage!

Jeff, Im not sure what you meant about Tys fear...? and...
fwiw: I still insist that good sounding low output pickups into a TopBoost will get you very close to Tys sound on "Ogre Tones"..and it IS a great sound.
I have the KingsX greatest hits and to my ears, his early work benefits from outboard processing to a large degree. This doesnt take away from Tys obvious mastery. I deeply respect the man.
But while some people account for his early sound from a Lab5 amp..(I think he suceeded in spite of it..not because of it!!!)... I think a large part is the pickups he used back then (the Fender elite Strat had a unique active set of pickups) and to my ears, the signal is very compressed (in a smart way that is very hard to do live)..and the signal benefits from board EQ and chorusing provided by an Eventide H949.
Thats all according to my ears..
yes..you could do all that and get his tone...or buy a module and mod it...but hey, hasnt anybody learned anything here? Get your own great sound. Ty is an inspiration, but to imitate him is kinda pointless,imho.
Ty is still doing great work..buy his music and then go on to be inspired to take chances (like Ty did) and create your own musical signature.

Jeff Hilligan said:
Is it exact no, but he said 98% there with the Gretchen module and his really gainy tone is a modified EG5.

Apologies, but I had to revive this thread. The thought of a "Gretchen" module makes me feel weak in the knees. Oh please of please... I think you'd find a LOT of interest in this module!

Jeff Hilligan said:
Anyway can't wait to play sound check with the band and essentially the rig I put together for him! Gonna play WWBTBL and fall on me!

"Fall on Me" is one of the very few of my favorite, older King's X songs that I have yet to hear live. Have to catch the September tour with Porcupine Tree in NYC!

Good thread to ressurect.

Hilly! Come on...spill the beans...Did Ty allow you guys to release the Gretchen module??? Please say yes :)

I want one for sure!! :)

aeroic said:
Good thread to ressurect.

Hilly! Come on...spill the beans...Did Ty allow you guys to release the Gretchen module??? Please say yes :)

I want one for sure!! :)
Ya!!! :lol: