Ultra Xl 1st impression...warning... this is a long post!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stm113

Reaction score
So I wanted to tell every one about my 1st impression of the Ultra XL module that arrived at my door step today.

1st a lil back ground, this is my 2nd go around with the MTS stuff the 1st time I was sorely disappointed, but that was before even the 1086 was out, my understanding is the quality has drastically improved AND there have been many tone refinements.

I had actually went with a rig centered around a Carvin V3, my Boss GT-Pro and a GCX audio switcher w/ a few pedals. Needless to say this rig was HUGE when it was all in my custom rack case including the head) but with gas prices going sky high its not logical to pull our 14x7 trailer around when we're playing with in an hour of home so now we're seeking other ways of getting our gear to shows and my Mazda 3 hatchback can only carry so much. So I decided to check Randall out again, I figure I can make my rig more portable if I leave a head behind, so the idea of the rig is an 8 space rack Rm 4, GT-Pro, GCX and some pedals, Furman and my Shure wireless) and a 4 space for my Mesa power amp and a 2 space drawer. And then 2-2x12 cabs... I can get all of this in my car... Now the 4-6 guitars I use per show, well thats another story.

Ok all of that out of the way, as we all know there is a serious back order on many modules, I bought the RM 4 and my Mesa Power amp and had no modules, I found a place that had a tread plate in stock so i ordered it because some people recommended it... its ok but not great (no where near enough mids and it's kinda muddy) and I was afraid that I was going to be unhappy with MTS stuff again then I found a Black Face on ebay its cool but i think i may sell it and go with the KH-1 since it's cleaner. I am almost positive that the XTC is the module for me though for my main rhythm tones, and on a hunch I ordered an Ultra XL from a place that had ONE left in stock, thinking it would be a good lead/solo tone module.

So today i got the bad news from sweet water that the XTC may not be in until April :x but they did have a 1086 in so i told them to send me that since people say that it's the most versatile of the modules... but to my surprise when I got home today the ultra XL that i had just about forgotten I had ordered since I was so fixated on the XTC was sitting on my door step. I didn't get to plug it in until late so I haven't cranked it up but when I played it at slightly higher than bed room levels on the low power setting on my Mesa Boogie power amp trough my 1x12 Peavey Sheffield loaded cab....

All I can say is that this may be the module for me, my band will practice Thursday night so that will be it's 1st real test but if tonight was any indication... well I can't wait. I am already considering going back into the studio to re-record all of my rhythm guitar tracks which were layed down with the Carvin Rig.. I mean the tone... so far at the modest levels it was creamy, almost buttery, very warm (though it could use more bottom to me) but it has this almost glassy bite to it as well, its thick , sweet, warm and ever so slightly aggressive...

If this module stays to that same nature I'll be turning alot of the guitarists on to Randall around here like I did when I 1st wen tot 5150's, Line 6's and the Carvin... locally both the guitarists and the bassist in my band are usually praised for our tones...wait til they hear this!

I had a Recto and modded it but it just wasn't my thing, it sound to nasal to me. If you tune down I think the recto sounds really good and some other guys around hear have some killer sounds out of it but I play standard drop D in my band so its not really our sound.

I haven't had the chance to try the Ultra XL, but I do own a Ultra and I like It a lot for leads (it kina reminds me of a 5150/JSX). I also have the 1086 (which is very versatile and has lots of balls) this has become my main rhythm channel. I think you are going to like the 1086.

My impressions of the Ultra XL after about 100 hours of live band practice volumes were... iffy. It cuts very nicely, it's it very very very tight on the bottom end, but I was using G-12k 85's in my 4x12 at the time. No matter what I did I couldn't get them to flub up and sound messy unless I wanted to destroy my speakers. Makes for a very nice speed-metal or anything detuned, but I have a quirky setup and this may be drastically different for others. I use an Acrylic guitar and EMG's in combination with the 85 watt speakers and oversized custome made cab made by Madison before they even had their own emblem.

Now, all of that being said, the Ultra XL sounds spectacular at what I call "apartment" volumes. Hooking it up to other setups or even just another guitar, the louder it get's it starts to have a slightly processed sound to it, along the lines of a Line 6, or even running an old Zoom 3030 through a PA head. It just doesn't have nearly the balls and super tight and superior bottom end with a wood guitar that it should have at live playing volumes.

In summary, if you are going to use my exact same setup and play exactly like I do, then it should be roughly what you are looking for. Aside from that, I would expect some slight solid state feelings from the Ultra XL at high volumes.

you nailed that one right on i'd say, the ultra xl is very good but its not the best thats out there for high gain.

maximus1 said:
you nailed that one right on i'd say, the ultra xl is very good but its not the best thats out there for high gain.

What is, in your opinion?

I think it would be the 1086 module. That thing is just OVER THE TOP!!
Just got done playing with my band it just SHREDDED!! maximum distortion(my opinion) but we played everything from RIDE THE LIGHTNING to Rocket ride from Kiss to Back for the attack from Dokken. Ripped!! :twisted:

UNTIL...........I got the Egnater EG5 module!! WOW!! BLOWS EVERYTHING OUT OF THE WATER(my opinion only) But this thing is a POWERHOUSE. Hard to find, a little pricey, but **** WORTH IT if you want HEAVY CRUSHING TONE! :twisted:

Mailman1971 said:
UNTIL...........I got the Egnater EG5 module!! WOW!! BLOWS EVERYTHING OUT OF THE WATER(my opinion only) But this thing is a POWERHOUSE. Hard to find, a little pricey, but **** WORTH IT if you want HEAVY CRUSHING TONE! :twisted:

I'm curious where you run your gain?

I mean the EG5 can get heavy..but it still retains clarity and doesn't have overwhelming low end.....for crushing I go to my UXL or Erect...just curious.

Maybe I needz to scoop the midz more..the EG5 has a lot of 'em

I run my amp thru a BBE 482I Sonic maximizer and when I want a little more low end thats tight, I turn it up on the BBE. I run the mid at about 9o'clock(clock face setting) and the gain at about 2 oclock. The high at about 2 as well. I just put in the KT88 in the amp and that runs everything a little Hotter as well and adds more crunch to the tone. I had a quad set in the lynch box, but it was just TOO rumbly and Bassy so I pulled 2 out and put back in 2 El34 and the tone was PERFECT. More aggressive than ever but still controlable. That Eg5 to me was hard to dial in, but after playing with all the settings(AMP, GUITAR w/different Pickups, BBE, MODULE) it really has a sweet AGGRESSIVE tone that I am super happy with. I just ordered the ERECT and hope to be as happy with that as I am the EG5. Any feedback on that Module?
Dan

Mailman1971 said:
I run my amp thru a BBE 482I Sonic maximizer and when I want a little more low end thats tight, I turn it up on the BBE. I run the mid at about 9o'clock(clock face setting) and the gain at about 2 oclock. The high at about 2 as well. I just ordered the ERECT and hope to be as happy with that as I am the EG5. Any feedback on that Module?
Dan

I always forget about the BBE, it really changes the tone so much that probably not worth to compare.

The Erect is heavy in the lows and has a lot of mids but voiced lower than the EG5. I'm not afraid to scoop the mids a little on my Egnater stuff since there are a lit to begin with.:D

The EG5 is a lot brighter and crunchier gained up

Its really funny. I played for about 20 years and never even looked at a Sonic Maximizer. Just bumbling thru the music store one day, the manager amd me were yakking about gear and he had the BBE hooked up to a MEsa Boogie Dual Rec. He said "Play this for 2 minutes(BBE OFF) I did.....sounded really good. "Now try it(BBE ON) :shock:
NIGHT and DAY!!! I could not believe it. Then he shut it off after about 2 minutes. LITERALLY sounded like he threw a blanket over the amp!! I said "What did you do to the tone?" NOT A THING, just turned off the Maximizer" I bought it on the spot!! The rack mount one is the best. I dont even use a rack. Just set the thing on top of my amp and run it thru the Loop. BEST $180.00 I EVER SPENT ON A SINGLE PIECE OF GEAR. Hands down.

I am excited to get the ERECT Module. I am hoping its a beefed up Grail module. *fingers crossed*

"I always forget about the BBE, it really changes the tone so much that probably not worth to compare. "

Whats funny is when reading on the BBE it dont really change the tone but MAKES IT SOUND THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED. So much is lost in the loops and effects and mods and all that the BBE STRAIGHTENS the signal back out. AMAZING.......... SO WELL WORTH IT. No I dont get a Kick back for selling BBE Maximizers either! hahaha :D

when it is hooked up and you switch it on and off that isn't a real comparison

I dont know.....it was a INSTANT difference. I mean I played thru it with it off.......then with it on.....then after a while he shut the BBE off and it was 100% noticeable. Damndest thing I ever played thru. Sold me right away and I never shut it off when I play now. Been over a year with the BBE.

I have been using my BBE for the last 9 months and I think its great, the key is to not overdo it, use it To much and it sounds to processed and gets lost in the mix. It just smoothes things out a little more and gives a more polished sound, great for leads. I leave it on all the time. I also run the mids on my Ultra Mod around 9 o'clock sometimes a little more if I need it to cut. I have noticed particularly that the BBE changes the MID frequency with the Ultra mod and its much better with the BBE on.

Yes.....if its cranked too much or the EFFECTS Knob is too much on the Randall then it sounds PROCESSED and thinned out. But set it up just right and WOW.....really brings out the distortion CLEAR. Very Dynamic response with these. I never shut mine off either. Can't belive that I went so many years without one. Saw them in magazines........but just wrote it off as another processor to waste money on. Not the case in this thing. Best piece I have bought in over 20 years of playing........ITS THAT GOOD!

what loop are you putting it in? series or parrallel. it should only go in the series. if you put it in the parrallel and crank the effects knob it'll blow your mind :twisted: pretty cool trick but..... :wink: just me but when using a tube amp especially a good one bbe's and aural exciters aren't needed :idea:

I am pretty sure its in the Series, but when I krank the effects knob it changes the tone. I havent checked it since I hooked it up. I have the Lynch Box with the Lynch Box cab and am hooked like a Junkie On using that BBE~! :D
Makes the Tone just BRUTAL!!! :twisted:

Latest posts