UltraXL question/frustration

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from Rob, apparently someone had attempted a mod to this thing before, maybe they were happy with the results, but this would explain it sounding completely different than the stock module.

bktele989 said:
Update from Rob, apparently someone had attempted a mod to this thing before, maybe they were happy with the results, but this would explain it sounding completely different than the stock module.

Thats actually kind of good new to me. :lol:

What you were describing is NOT what the XL should sound like.

kbause said:
bktele989 said:

Thats actually kind of good new to me. :lol:

What you were describing is NOT what the XL should sound like.

Haha, me too, I thought maybe I was crazy or my ears were fucked up!

Happy 2010, got my module back today!

Whatever was wrong with the module is fixed and then some, this is exactly what I was hoping it would be! I hate to be to hasty and rant and rave about something I just got, but this is whole new level of clarity and response for me, much higher sound quality than any amp I've owned.

The noise gate is great, no real difference in on or off, just NO noise. It's easy to get more of a classic distortion sound out of it, and all the way up to death metal. I've had trouble finding a setting that sounds bad, it's just a matter of what sounds best. I'm sure my sound is somewhere in there with a bit of tweaking. Another vote for Rob! You'll get more business from me in the future.

This is going to get expensive :shock:

Okay, I've heard this module is very similar to a 5150. How similar is it really. Anyone do a heads up comparison with the real amp? I'm curious. I've got the real amp. I'm contemplating selling it, but I'm afraid I will regret it.

This said I plugged the 5150 II in again and the amp blew me away. It was perfect for what I was doing. But if there is a module that has a tone stack and gain like it I would be interested because it would save room.

Julia said:
Okay, I've heard this module is very similar to a 5150. How similar is it really. Anyone do a heads up comparison with the real amp? I'm curious. I've got the real amp. I'm contemplating selling it, but I'm afraid I will regret it.

This said I plugged the 5150 II in again and the amp blew me away. It was perfect for what I was doing. But if there is a module that has a tone stack and gain like it I would be interested because it would save room.

Well, my jam buddy plays a 5150ii, and he loves the sound out of this thing. They mixed really well, and neither was outgunning the other at similar volumes.
I am a fan of the 5150ii, and I have to say that I've gotten a similar sound out of this thing now, but with added benefit of a clean channel that sounds unbelievable as well, it was a great choice for me. hope that helps.

My friend had a 6505+. He heard my Ultra XL and turned around and traded his 6505+ for an RM100. Of course, it was also partly because he heard my blackface compared to his clean channel. Either way, he preferred my tone to his in sound and dynamics.

Rellik said:
My friend had a 6505+. He heard my Ultra XL and turned around and traded his 6505+ for an RM100. Of course, it was also partly because he heard my blackface compared to his clean channel. Either way, he preferred my tone to his in sound and dynamics.

Yup, the balckface cleans are truly hard to beat by any high gainer clean channel, IMO. Sounds great completely dry, but loves delay and reverb.

I tried a 6505+ and it sounds to fuzzy compared to ultraxl tone. can get in the same range but the 6505+ is just 2 fuzzy.

I have the 5150 II. A few preamp tube changes gets rid of the fizziness, but still the amp is a one trick pony -- metal only. There are no classic rock tones there. Pretty much like any metal amp. It was the backup when I had the JVM. I'm waiting for the market to rebound a little bit before I sell it. So my backup is my Fender HR Deville again.