Vintage Traynor!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodgemo

Reaction score
Hey, I'm starting this thread to avoid totally spamming someone else's thread about power amps...ok so I own 2 vintage Traynor combos (and a modern YBA-200 bass amp and 210/115 cab):

Mid 70s YGM-3 Guitar Mate 112 front loaded open back w/ tremolo & reverb, approx 25 watts thru 2 EL84s.

Mid 70s YGM-4 Studio Mate - same specs as above, but rear loaded and closed back.

Both are just amazing in their own similar, yet different way. But the stock Marsland speakers had to go...they're pretty "meh" on a good day...

I live a couple hours away from the factory, and have been told that back in the day, part of Pete Traynor's testing process for new amp designs was to drop them off the roof of their building, re-tube them, and see how they played! Now that's quality assurance!

I know Jaded Faith knows where it's at when we're talkin' Traynor...anyone else?

On a total side note...if anyone mentioned in this post happened to come up with a Traynor based module, I can think of at least one guy who would absolutely have to try one out... 8)

Mickey.jpg

Ive read up on these and have wanted a YBA-1 for quite a while but just
never pulled the plug. I really like the fact you are starting this thread
but will hate to see the prices on them go up again. :( :lol:
How cool would it be to have an effects loop installed in one and use an
RM4 into it?! Imma dreamer. hahaha I have been thinking of getting Rob
to build a YBA clone with the loved Bass and Treble Expanders!!

^ I'm amazed the prices have stayed relatively low this long...And yeah an fx loop would be deadly, I've often thought about putting one into one of my YGMs...if I ever do, I'll post it here. Brewtus, there are often old YBAs on kijiji in my area for probably around $500 on average. I've always got my eyes out for the puppies, if I ever see a real smokin deal, maybe I'll make a note of it on here.

I was looking for a YBA-1 a few years ago and that was during the craze when everyone found out that they could be modified to an even better plexi or hotrodded plexi spec... prices were getting over the 600+ mark. Now they are back down to earth around the 450$ mark. If ever I saw one for 350$ I'd grab it and mod it into a fire breather. Lots of room in the chassis too. though sometimes the guts do look like spaghetti and lack the organization of a nice MArshall. At least the ones I have seen.

Oh! the Marsland speaker that came with my YBA-2 when I had it was total ****. I really should have tried it through a diff cab. That amp had some dirty grind.

Fantastic amps and a steal for anywhere under $600. Mine ran $450 shipped and it was worth every penny.

The stories you have heard are true about the testing. :shock:

I look forward to getting a chance to work inside mine when time permits (insert maniacal laughter and humor now). It was fairly mint with only a single filter cap replaced and the original RCA and Philips tube in great shape!

Latest posts