Voodoo Amps Custom Mod for Egnater EG5

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscfo1

Reaction score
This module is one of Egnater's high gain modules. It's very bright, especially with single coils. I had stopped using it because I could never get it to sound good with my Strat, which is my favorite. I contacted Voodoo via email about a mod for it, and I got a response right away from Trace, the founder and president of the company. Trace told me to give him a call so we could talk more in detail about what I wanted out of this module. After our conversation, I realized that Voodoo is no ordinary company, and Trace is a really great guy who treats all of his customers right.

The module was pretty good stock, but I had some pretty specific things I asked Trace to change. I wanted the module to be more balanced across the entire EQ, because it took some extreme settings for me to even use it. The treble was bright enough but somewhat brittle, more presense than treble, and I couldn't dial that out. Midrange had a dip to it, and when boosted, it took on a very nasal characteristic that I couldn't use. Being a high gain module, it was noisy too, and when boosted with a Strat on the bridge pickup it was way over the top. Gain was good, and I figured I couldn't get more out of it due to the noise issue anyway. So off the module goes to Voodoo.

So after about two weeks Trace actually calls me to ask a couple more questions before he finishes. I thought that was great, and we talked about my rig some more, tubes used, type of guitars and pickups, etc, so he could factor in those variables into his sonic fix.

I received the module perfectly packaged a few days later and put it into my MOD 100. I used my Strat straight into the front of the amp with no effects, not even reverb. Set everything at 12:00, with no bass or bright boost, and hit my first chord.

What I heard was exactly what I described to Trace! I couldn't stop playing the thing. I didn't even touch the EQ at all, I just played and played everything I could think of to test it. Chords rung out clear and single note lines had a nice edge to them, but with more harmonic richness than before. The midrange was perfect and not nasal anymore. Trace put a pot in there to tweak the gain if I'd like more or less. As a bonus, the module was quiet as a mouse, even on the bridge pickup of a Strat, with my 100 watt amp's master set at 12:00. I was pushing some serious air, but when I stopped playing, there was just a whisper of hiss.

I played around with the volume knob on my guitar, and was able to dial this beast down to a very workable clean sound. Pretty amazing considering the gain I was using. It didn't lose any treble and stayed right out front, almost like a different channel. The module is more dynamic too, I could pick softly and it would be chimey and clean, then dig in and it would growl. Fun to play.

The workmanship on the board was incredibly neat and well done. For the money you just can't beat what they can do to improve your sound. I will be sending more modules to Trace in the future for sure. -Bill

All true about Voodoo, Trace and their quality of the work/tone. What a lot of people do not mention is that the turnaround time is excellent as well.

I only wish he had a West Coast location to shorten the shipping.

I just wanted to chime in quickly with regards to a west coast operation - Personally I would love to do that but so much of what we do comes down to fine line tweaking that there is no easy way to give someone that experience/knowledge - it's like playing guitar, everyone approaches it differently. 1/3 of our business comes from the west coast and I love to travel there.

FYI - When it comes to shipping it is generally slightly more to ship 3-day verses ground shipping. It becomes expensive when you bump up to 2-day, over-night shipping, etc but 3-day is much more affordable! :)

Have a great weekend guys!!
Trace

Rod,

The mod cost $187.00. It was worth the cost. I can use all of my guitars with that module now. Before the mod, only my humbucker loaded guitars sounded good. Now it's voiced so well I can go back and forth between my Strats and Gibsons without even touching the EQ.

Thanks for the note on that Trace. I totally understand that - you have to maintain control of your brand. Although we have some excellent amp gurus out here who would probably do you proud.

Randy Stadtman (the guy behind a lot of the ADA stuff) and Todd Langner come to mind immediately.

My old Jose UG is on the way to you for an update.

Thanks,
Ron

bscfo1 said:
Rod,

The mod cost $187.00. It was worth the cost. I can use all of my guitars with that module now. Before the mod, only my humbucker loaded guitars sounded good. Now it's voiced so well I can go back and forth between my Strats and Gibsons without even touching the EQ.

For those that may be wondering; $187 included everything all said and done. IE: cost of the Custom Mod, two (2) new hand selected 12AX7 preamp tubes as well as shipping and handling.

Have a great Monday!!! :)
Trace

KillTone said:
Thanks for the note on that Trace. I totally understand that - you have to maintain control of your brand. Although we have some excellent amp gurus out here who would probably do you proud.

Randy Stadtman (the guy behind a lot of the ADA stuff) and Todd Langner come to mind immediately.

I am familiar with Todd and I'm more than open to talking with him. If you know him please feel free to reach to him and have him give me a call or I am happy to call him as well :)

I seem to remember recently noticing an ad in one of the guitar magazines for a reissue of the ADA Flanger? Is Randy heading this up or was the ADA name sold? Please correct me if I am mistaken.

KillTone said:
My old Jose UG is on the way to you for an update.

Excellent and I'll give you a call when I'm working on it!

Have a great Tuesday morning!
Trace

Voodoo Amps said:
bscfo1 said:
Rod,

For those that may be wondering; $187 included everything all said and done. IE: cost of the Custom Mod, two (2) new hand selected 12AX7 preamp tubes as well as shipping and handling.

Have a great Monday!!! :)
Trace
sounds like it is well worth the $$!!!!

It's well worth the cost. Along with the upgraded components and tubes are Voodoo's great service and followup. These guys really care about their customers. But the amazing tone coming out of my EG5 is the real bargain! Can't wait to do another one.

Latest posts