Vybe Deluxe

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my power amp working right and got a chance to spend a couple hours with the Vybe Deluxe. I heard the Vybe Deluxe at the LA Amp show and it sounded great, but I had listened to a lot of amps that day. The tone I had heard was enough to get me to buy an MTS amp and try it out. Well I am really glad that I did. The Vybe Deluxe sounds fantastic. I built a custom 2 x 10 pine cabinet to put the amp in with one Blue Fender Alinco speaker and a Weber Legacy Ceramic. So I tailored the main amp towards old school Fender sounds. Well, this cabinet matched with Rob's awesome Vybe Deluxe is a pure match made in heaven. I have owned several vintage tweed fenders, tweed era Gibsons, BF Fenders and Ampegs. An new boutique tweed voiced amps like the Victoria Pro and Bandmaster, and a Redplate amp. This MTS with the Vybe Deluxe really hangs with the best of them for classic Fender tweed/BF tones. It might even be better because you can get "that sound" at multiple different volume levels. The touch sensitivity and sag are amazing. I really don't know how Rob pulled it off, but he sure did. I am in love with this module.

I just got my Vybe Deluxe last night, and my email to Rob this afternoon said pretty much the same thing. How on earth he got that thing to "feel" like that is beyond me, totally unique in the MTS world. It sounds and feels like a smaller Fender amp cranked up, not to mention it does a **** realistic Deluxe impersonation. I couldn't stop playing it last night, a keeper for sure.

JayDA said:
I just got my Vybe Deluxe last night, and my email to Rob this afternoon said pretty much the same thing. How on earth he got that thing to "feel" like that is beyond me, totally unique in the MTS world. It sounds and feels like a smaller Fender amp cranked up, not to mention it does a **** realistic Deluxe impersonation. I couldn't stop playing it last night, a keeper for sure.

One of my favorite mods! One of Robs best. If you like the Fender tone, you need the Vibe-deluxe.
:D

I have a real 1964 BF Fender Deluxe non-reverb sitting right next the my MTS with the Vybe Deluxe. I have been A/B ing them for the last hour. The Vybe Deluxe sounds like the Fender when the Fender is at about 7 on the volume knob. The problem is that 7 on the Deluxe is very loud, too loud for most of the restaurant gigs I am playing right now. So, the Vybe Deluxe even though it is paired with a 50 watt amp, will still get the tones at a lower volume. Very cool. Then on top of it, you get the Vybe and the Pushed channels. The Pushed sounds very tweed like. And the FEEL, the FEEL, the FEEL

Well thank you gents, happy to hear the love for this one!

Initially I was very reluctant to suggest this mod to folks because it was so different in tone and feel from most of what they are used to in the MTS world. Then I built a few more. Now I try to throw it in the discussion as much as I can. I designed this thing and it continues to floor me more and more each time I play one. That speaks volumes to me.

There is nothing else like it in a module, and boy oh boy is that a good thing!

Being predominantly high gain, I took and chance with this one via Robs suggestion, boy, am I glad I did. Super cool tone, I've never owned an old fender, but can appreciate this mod in spades.

Thanks for a great suggestion Rob, you've never steered me wrong

Jaded Faith said:
There is nothing else like it in a module, and boy oh boy is that a good thing!

Except for the Ampeg Gemini that you just made me 8) It is a different flavor of vintage tone but it also has really good feel as well.

Can anyone tell me how the mod performs as a clean pedal platform?

I have a Texas Special now which gives me some really great sounding fat cleans, but it can be difficult to dial in with my pedals. I had a Tweed base mod before that, and now have a plexi/tweed and the tweed side did quite well with pedals, but always had a touch of breakup.

Thanks!

I have both the Texas and Vybe. I use the Vybe with my Electro Harmonics reverb alot but I use it more for the warm mid tones. The texas and my Salvo H-watt are doing the rest of my cleans lately. I want to try the ultra lead. What pedals are you looking to use with the Vybe?

:D

I'm running an RM50C with the plexi mode of a plexi/tweed as my foundation for dirt sounds. I have a Mojo Hand Iron Bell (think refined big muff) and TC Electronic Nova system which has a tubescreamerish overdrive.

I'm looking to compliment the Plexi side with the warm overdrive and over-the-top fuzz sounds, but want to keep a good balanced clean for my Strat and Tele when no pedals are used. While the Texas Special gives great fat cleans, it can get a bit fat in the lows/lower mids, muddying up the driven tones. Of course some of this could be pilot error, the Texas Spec gives a lot of versatility!

I'm considering going with either the Vybe or getting another modded tweed for my base clean sound.

I am sure you could dial in the Vybe Deluxe to work with pedals really well. But it has so much character on its own, (in a great way), that I wouldn't want to smash it with overdrives and fuzz pedals. A little boost, sure but not heavy gain tones. If you truly wanted a pedal platform, something like the Super Clean might be better. But I am sure Rob will have some recommendations since he builds them.

All I have to say about my new Vybe Deluxe is, Holy *@!#!!.

first off, the deluxe side alone is miles above the original Deluxe I sent as a donor. The gain is rich and resonant, not farty but retains the growl that I liked about the org. just has much more substance and true fender tone. The Vybe side is lush while really getting that squishy, chimey fender sound. handles the gain well and really sings.

The pushed circuit is louder than both, with nice punch while still remaining lush and resonant.

I was feeling good about this module, the tele sounds great, strat does all kinds of fender tones, then the SG, with two clean boosts. One is a Keeley modded BD set to 0 gain and level to about noon, tone 11'oclock, fat boost on. A BYOC Overdrive 2 with the Tube screamer off. the boost level on this one is just past noon. blows my mind. I tend to not play at bedroom levels, this will not get you there. The Tube screamer with this mod is pretty crazy when full on, so at more subtle levels it can really sound like a low gain Marshall sound. many options here.

I should mention that the volume change between modes is not that much different, which is nice.

a perfect sound to me. I hope to post some clips in a couple of weeks

I got to play out last night with my Vybe Deluxe last night for the first time. My drummer, who is 67 and has been playing since the 50's said, that is how the amps sounded when I was kid. He said that without even asking or telling him about my new amp. That is about as good as it gets.

I ran it with pedals as well. It seemed to take them very well. I had to add more treble than I had been using at home. It fit really well in the mix.

Big Steve said:
I got to play out last night with my Vybe Deluxe last night for the first time. My drummer, who is 67 and has been playing since the 50's said, that is how the amps sounded when I was kid. He said that without even asking or telling him about my new amp. That is about as good as it gets.

This may be the best thing I will read all day and is quite a compliment! Please thank him for me. That was exactly the goal on that mod and it makes me proud to hear it delivered.

Rob

I was playing with Bonnie Raitt and Sam Moore at a benefit when I lived in Austin and we opened up for Stevie Vaughn right before he died. That night he had five Vibroverbs strung together. I always coveted that tone. He did "Lenny" that night and it was just beautiful thourgh those amps. I got the Vybe from Rob and run it through a Carvin stereo power amp with 6L6s and can now cop that tone. It is the way I remember amps sounding. I also have a Deluxe that Rob did the base mod on which is a bit different from the Deluxe side of the Vybe. It kills with a tele and does the Keith Richards tone to a T.

ricky said:
I also have a Deluxe that Rob did the base mod on which is a bit different from the Deluxe side of the Vybe. It kills with a tele and does the Keith Richards tone to a T.
The hours spent listening to the Stones and tuning/testing that custom Deluxe with my Tele for you are still a vivid memory!

ricky said:
I was playing with Bonnie Raitt and Sam Moore at a benefit when I lived in Austin and we opened up for Stevie Vaughn right before he died. That night he had five Vibroverbs strung together. I always coveted that tone. He did "Lenny" that night and it was just beautiful thourgh those amps. I got the Vybe from Rob and run it through a Carvin stereo power amp with 6L6s and can now cop that tone. It is the way I remember amps sounding.

geez, man. you are NOT helping my GAS at all

Well I am a bluesman. I play in traditional blues bands. Blues guys are very conservative in their gear choices. It has to be from the 50 or 60's or most of them won't even consider it. I was shocked when I hear the Vybe Deluxe at the LA Amp Show. I really thought my ears were playing tricks on me since I heard a lot of amps that day. But I couldn't get the sound out of my head and had to try it.

I had a bunch of issues with my power amp, and finally just got this thing working about a week ago. I have had a smile on my face since. I will be blowing peoples minds at my blues gigs for sure. I will be taking it around for others to listen to and try as well.

I built a custom pine cabinet for it and I put 2 10 inch speakers. A Weber Legacy Ceramic and Fender (Eminence) blue Alnico. So I have my amp all set up to maximize the vintage tones Rob's Vybe Deluxe is putting out.

Here are some bad cell phone pictures of the amp as it looks today.

IphonPhotos1824_zps3f377ca3.jpg

IphonPhotos1822_zpsaebd1013.jpg

IphonPhotos1827_zpsfdd4f8b9.jpg

IphonPhotos1823_zpsf0691c30.jpg

Latest posts