What is your approach to setting the Master Volume?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Steve

Reaction score
How are you guys setting your master volume, module volume and module gain?

1. Do you set the module and then control the overall volume with the master?

2. Do you crank the Master Volume to full and control the volume with the module?

3. Or something else?

Let me know what you are doing and what you thinks sounds the best. I am new to these amps and I am trying lots of different approaches. Also, does it vary from module to module or do you use the same approach on all your modules.

I'll set gain to taste & use the module volume to balance the relative levels. The module volume will be anywhere from 9 to 1 o'clock depending on the module. Generally 11 to 1 o'clock, but my JF OD Special is particularly loud.

Then I'll control overall volume with the MV.

I keep the gain module volumes on 9:00 to 10:00 and then use the amp master to control overall volume.

I have tried module volume up / master down and vice versa. There is an old thread on here about that somewhere and it discusses others findings and may have even had sound clips.

I found that I like the amp master higher than the module volume but if one or the other is at the extreme opposite of the other then the amp gets a bit noisy. Probably because if one of those volumes is maxed then it is like running it wide open which in any amp would be a bit noisy.

another thing - the loop in the RM100 is so hot, running the module volumes too high can upset some of my gear. As it is, the clip light on my Boss CE20 is constantly flickering ;)

Over 50 views and just a couple of comments. Come on guys give up your secrets. There are no right or wrong answers here just works for you.

Kevrock25 said:
my modules stay around 12 t0 2 oclock then master to taste

I used to do it this way but I liked getting my master up above 9:00. Seems to feel better with the big glass involved a little more.

Lol this is my live setting my master is way above 9. At practice my master is at12 or 1 o'clock. METAL. ha ha.
I don't know what to set it at for jamming at home. I got smaller stuff for that

I run the Master on full so I can set the individual levels for each module. Say forinstance should I want output distortion for my SL module I have my module volume far higher on it than say the Twin module. But without allowing for that swing in headroom it just wouldn't happen otherwise.

Then of course, since I have the M4 and external poweramps these have their own gain controls to fiddle with and that opens up plenty of options on how hard to run which part of the signal path.

I do it Voodoo style, and set my master, presence, and density at noon, everything else to taste.

I wonder where the designers had the master set when they were trying to capture the tone of the amps they are chasing? Obviously they sound different depending where it is set at.

Module master at noon , RM4 master at about 10 o'clock, power amp depends on if any one is home or not. Nobody home about 9-10 o'clock, if people are home then it's about 7 o'clock.

I set my module volumes at about 10-11, in order to control the signal level going to my Boss EQ-20 and Boss DD-20 in the amp's series loop. Then I adjust the amp master to whatever level I need.

I set my RM50 master at 1:30, that way when I hit the master volume boost it gives me just the right amount of volume for solos. Also, I find the amp sounds much better with the master level high.

Amp @ 2 o'clock.
Module gain @ 1 o'clock
Module Bass, Mid, Treb @ noon adjust slightly to room
Module Level / Vol @ 10 o'clock
RM4 Master between 8 to 9 o'clock depending on room.

Latest posts