What tubes are you putting in your high gain modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chameleon2112

Reaction score
I ran across some Mesa 12ax7 tubes that were lying around in my closet and decide to swap them with the JJ ECC83S tubes in my Ultra module. :D What a difference! This module just opened right up, had more growl, and the harmonics lept out. I seem to remember reading that the JJ's were a darker tube, but compared to the Mesa's they were kind of mushy and lifeless.

So what do those of you that have done tube swaps in the Ultra and other high gain modules use and how were your results?

I also had some older mesa tubes that just seem to sound great no matter where I put them. when I had an ultra XL, I ended up really liking ruby tubes in there, thickened it up a bit and still sounded clear! it depends on the module really.

Just bear in mind Mesa, Ruby etc. don't make tubes but rather test/brand them. The particular tube your talking about can only be id'd by looking at it's construction or factory labeling.

For highgan, I typically like in no particlar order
Chinese
Tung-sol/EH
GT Mullard
Ei 7025
Sovtec LPS
JJ

There all good, just depends on the module and how I want to "tune" it.

Mike

IF You go to www.voodooamps.com look at there tube list talk with trace about his custom order tubes he gets.... Man i am telling you if you know about tubes there is only three companies that make tubes they have diffrent labels they put on them.. But id you get Cyrovacted and high gain tested tubes they run a little more money but you wont be disapointed at all. Like i said call Trace at Voodoo you will get a ear full trust me and you will never regret it!!!!

Cryogenic tubes. Like the Black Sables. I dont exactly know what the process is, but they take existing tubes like SED's etc and run them through the cryo process. I guess they are a longer lasting tube.

Cyrovacted is up for the taking for the next metal band then, lol- it is prime because there's no google competition

As for the BLACK SABLE Cryogenic, anyone have good experience? It's almost 3x the price

Cryogenically treated? Possibly snake oil? Like cyrogenically treated strings -- at least my ears can't tell it made a difference with Blue Steels because I think D'Addario round wounds are still brighter.

There was a discussion about Black Sables over on TGP: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=408101

At three times the price, some NOS power tubes are competitive.

A few weeks back I took a shot at making a single post for discussion tube recommendations on various modules that could become a sticky if we get enough interest, Pete & some of the other MTS gurus have provided input, would be great if you could chime in on it with your results:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6475

take a look!