whats best modder

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends on where you are, what your budget is, and what you need done. No one modder is really "better" than another.

Anthony (Salvation Mods)completely strips the preamps to fit the actual circuitry and schematic of the preamps cloned. Usually his modules see a higher cost in the used market due to the fact that a large number of the modders are overseas from him and the shipping costs must be accounted for.

Pete Turley (GigMods) was one of the first modders to show up on the forum, and does warmth/clarity mods to the modules, rewires some in-production modules to mimic out-of-productions mods, and has a couple of highly revered clone mods (the first that the MTS modding world has seen, I believe).

Dave Friedman (Racksystems USA) is a big name guy who works with the stars (Scott Ian, George Lynch, Brad Delson, etc) and provides services here on the board. He does general module tweaks and a few clone mods (from what I've seen of his work with Brad Delson), and his usual Brown Eye, Hairy Brown Eye, and newer Black Eye mods.

Jeff Hilligan used to work for Egnater amplifiers and has a couple of big mods out there. An original called the Scorch (Mesa Mark series meets Marshall) and an Alice In Chains style module called The Snorkler. He also just came out with a AFD style mod, and might have a few others.

Rob (Jaded Faith) is one of the two newer modders to the scene and does a slew of great sounding mods, from simple module improvements to all-out clones (Marshall 1959RR, Peavey 5150, various VHT/Fryette models, the original Superclean, and many more).

Scott (SacredGroove) Is along the same lines as Rob, and used to work with him doing faceplates. He now has a few great modules to his name and is quite popular amongst the more big-name players here on the board (but then, just about all the modders are :D)

Trace (Voodoo Mods) is from the legendary Voodoo Amplification, and performs all of the classic Voodoo mods to the modules (Sear, UG, HG, Jose, etc.)

Kyle Needham is an independent modder who has a very under-the-radar mod called the Dragon, which is a killer upgrade for your Modern, Ultra, or Ultra XL modules. Great metal tones to be found there!

Am I missing anybody?

All of them are great. I wouldn't say any of them has put out sub par material, and which one is better for you simply depends on what you're looking for!

Trace (Voodoo Mods) is from the legendary Voodoo Amplification, and performs all of the classic Voodoo mods to the modules (Sear, UG, HG, Jose, etc.)

Corrected. :wink:

Wow,Shinozoku!!!
That is pretty freaking thorough.
Nothing more to add really.
I don't have all the experience in the world with modded modules, but I will put a big vote in for Rob@Jaded Faith mods. I played stockers for years before I ever even knew about this forum and I liked my tone. I got a MarkX built for me by Rob and that sucker just blew my socks off. I was not prepared to hear how much bigger my RM100 could sound. It just nails that Mesa tone. It's kind of a "springy" tone. (My description sucks) It can get really wicked with the gain, but when you roll back the volume it cleans up and doesn't sound thin. I got an SL-OD100 being built right now and I can hardly wait to give it a go.
On another note: I have a Gigmods Twin by Pete Turley and it is the perfect Fender tone. You can go over to your friends house and whoop on their stock Fender amps with this baby. It sounds better. More like what a Fender could be, than an actual Fender. Maybe it's the Vin30s, but I can go Blackface or hit the switch and I am in Deluxe territory. Nice full sound. I wouldn't think of replacing it.
Salvation Mods...
Well...You can't **** with Salvation mods...
I haven't had the pleasure of trying one yet, but I've heard clips and testimony from plenty of players that swear by these. The faceplates are killer too. Anybody want to sell their Salvado Deluxe?
:)
NO? I didn't think so... :) :) :)

They are all great in their own way...That above list is VERY comprehensive and good....If you see in most people's sigs they typically use several modders, myself included...These modders do make many of the same modules so to speak in that most have a recto, marshall plexi, JCM/JTM, Vox, Matchless, Krank, etc...The thing to really pay attention to is what model is it based on? If you love a vintage Recto and buy a recto mod based off a 2010 recto you'll get some fizz...It comes down to knowing what you're after...

Good luck...

I think you all are right. I have tried several modders modules and all were good for what they were going for. I have a problem discovering which tones I love and keep. I have gotten a few that sounded fantastic and then I find myself thinking, "Man, do I really want to like this or not".
So I am always willing to try different ones. They are all different but similar. Most modders are willing to make changes until you are happy too. Use your ears and you will be happy. :wink:

Rising Farce said:

Corrected. :wink:
Edited, thank you :D

Judging by various clips and feedback from those that have tried the various mods you really can't go wrong with any of the modders. Matt said it best in that you need to know what you are trying to mimick. Rob's '59RR, Pete's Plexi, Anthony's Mashall, & SacredGrooves MKII will be similar but not the same. There tone will vary as they are based on different Marshalls. As well as the switches, to further taylor your tone, will make them even further distinguishable.

I'll plug Rob at Jaded Faith. My 1st & so far only modded module (SL-OD100) is a great Soldano tone based on the SLO100. Communication with Rob was great & turnaround time was about 1-1.5 weeks from the time I dropped off the mod at USPS & the module was received again modded and burned in. I think it was closer to a week.

So break it down like this:
Communication - is it up to par for you. If so you can be very confident you will get what you are after.

Mods - do they "clone" the amp tone you are after. Do you just want some basic mods (more gain, saturation, EQ, etc) & do they do that.

Time - how long will it take to get the mod back. Do you need it next week, next month, or it really isn't an issue (unless you're impatient like me :lol: ).

Price - it's another thing to consider, but judging by the prices for mods in the classifieds, all the modders will be close in price. Salvation probably more due to shipping and associated fees for shipping over seas.

A good example of what to consider when going for something that EVERYONE does.

Say you want a Mesa Boogie Mark series module. Here are your choices:

Gigmods Mark: Based on a Mark Studio rack preamp, great all-around Mark tone.

Salvation MarkUS: Apparently tweaked to do more vintage Mark tones based more on the Mark IIC+ and Mark III (the latter of which Gigmods does nicely from what I've heard). I believe it does Mark I style cleans as well.

Jaded Faith MarkX: Based on the Mark V high gain channel, with a possible internal gain staging pot to take you (gain-wise) through the gain levels of most of the high gain channels in the series, specializing in super high gain though.

The Salvation is tonally more "old" Mark, the Gigmods is "old" too, but a bit more modern. Jaded Faith's is probably the most modern, but they all can overlap.

Want a Marshall? Do you want a...

Gigmods JTM: Killer JTM style tone, clean to low-medium gain.

Sacred Groove MK22: Vintage plexi tone, based on the JCM800 but not SUPER high gain. Great for a more mature, old Marshall feel.

Jaded Faith 1959RR: Modded high gain Plexi tone, **** good for the early 80's MEtallica and Randy Rhoads sounds.

Salvation Mash-All: Versatile all-around MArshall tones with a great JCM800 voicing and going into the JVM style high gain tone, while still able to clean up.

Mind you, these are the more popular mods from all the modders and Gigmods and Salvation have a couple other offerings.

A note on Salvation Mods:

The team is based in Europe (with exclusion of Dietrick Hardwick, our US representative).

So there used to be some additional costs in sending your modules over here.. BUT we now offer factory fresh modules at a special price as donors for your mods, we struck a deal with Randall so we can get them straight from the dealer.
This way you get only shipping-costs your way so it turns out at a great price.

This also means the PCB is new, you get fresh tubes, and Anthony can pick the best module for the mod!
Or of course you can still send your own donors if you already have a module that you want modded.

Like said: Salvation Mods concentrates on replicating the classics into the MTS system, with the features that those original amps offer and a bit of extra special sauce ;)
Check out www.salvationmods.com for info on all the mods. (go to "modifications" to see all of them!)
There are also soundclips and video's on there!

Cheers, Joris
(graphic designer for Salvation Mods)

Shinozoku said:
Sacred Groove MK22: Vintage plexi tone, based on the JCM800 but not SUPER high gain. Great for a more mature, old Marshall feel.

It's actually based on a two input 1977 Marshall JMP

kind of a touchy subject I would think,as far as who's mods are "better"....but tone is so subjective,so it is really hard to say that one modders work is better sounding than anothers.....

alowerdeep said:
kind of a touchy subject I would think,as far as who's mods are "better"....but tone is so subjective,so it is really hard to say that one modders work is better sounding than anothers.....

The funny thing is we all have a top 3....

Who's gonna have the huevos to go first? I just went swimming so I'm out...

Here's my top list:

modern hi Gain: Salvation
This guy just brings the brutality like no other. Hard Rock/Metal awesomeness. He's brought some of my favorite amp tones to life: Orange, Cobra, 5150, Engl.
Super versatile and ultra customizable with toggles and switches everywhere to get you endless tones.
Turnaround time is excellent (unless he is getting hammered with work).
The new buy your new module direct from Salvation is a huge step in providing flawless modules!

cleans to mid gain: Gigmods
There's an organic authenticity I really enjoy from his work. Strat players really need to try him out.
Gigmods Blackface, JTM, and Tweed are superior clean/midgain tones.
Excellent lead tones on many mods, like the Orange channel on the Recto, the Mark, the XTC, 1087....his SL+ has given me huge inspiration in writing and performing over the years- including some radio play and big stages. This guy is the Godfather of modded modules and the only reason I bought an rm100 in 2008.

Jaded Faith
Rob's recent faceplates and amp replicas have catapulted his work into the A-list. I've enjoyed his Plexi and Ultra- excellent tones- but my favorite is his MarkX; it's as good as anything I've heard. It's forte is hi-gain, but still has incredible clarity on a 6string chord. Ican't say enough good things about this mod...
If you need it next week, JF has the fastest turnaround time in the business.

I haven't tried/heard Sacred Groove yet, but after reading and hearing clips, I'm sure his work is excellent too. Hollywood Pro Mike P swears by his work, and to me that is a monstrous compliment. Mike P has engaged in a few thread battles, but no one denies the talent and product he displays.

I've had modules that others have loved, the clips sound great, but in my hands not so great :? Thus, YMMV

Well I will step up and be honest. I found tones I love the most in modules
that were self modded by peeps on this forum. Although the pro modders modules I have had were built to do different things. So they cannot be exactly compared. My modded Plexi is to die for!!! My modded ultra lead that was built to mimic a Mark IIC is to die for!!! Love em.

You can't go wrong with any of the modders. They all do awesome work. Even just changing one cap in a module can improve it. That's the bonus of MTS,never has a guitar amplifying product been so easy and affordable to get modded with minimal shipping costs.

Shinozoku's answer was a good one. I have had e-mails and conversations with several modders and own modules from many of them. They all do excellent work.

One thing that was missing from Voodoo's description was that while they have their standard mod circuits, Trace will also work closely with you to make something custom. All modders will tweak their work but Trace seems to excel in the "custom" mod area.

Shinozoku, Rising Farce, KillTone, davetheslave
? Thank you very much for the honorable mentions, I greatly appreciate it (truly).

Custom Mods - We do a great deal of Custom Mods and if you can articulate what you want then we are delighted to make it happen :)

Have a great week guys!!
Trace

Mike P said:
Shinozoku said:

Thank you for the clarification :D I saw 2203/4 and thought JCM800.

And not a problem, Trace! I'm itching to get my Blackface modded by you after hearing about the Mark I mod you did but I need a freakin job first xD

Plus I've already spent big bucks putting Blue SoZo caps in this baby so I'm hesitant to get it changed :p

Shinozoku said:
Mike P said:
Shinozoku said:

Thank you for the clarification :D I saw 2203/4 and thought JCM800.

And not a problem, Trace! I'm itching to get my Blackface modded by you after hearing about the Mark I mod you did but I need a freakin job first xD

Plus I've already spent big bucks putting Blue SoZo caps in this baby so I'm hesitant to get it changed :p

Understood on the Sozo's. We have worked on a great deal of Mesa's over the years, every thing from old Mark Series to the numerous Dual Recto's (pre 500, etc).

Regarding the Mark Series Mod; If you like, you can always keep that one as is and pick up a used Clean module, BlackFace or Kirk Hammett clean module. Those all work well. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks!
Trace