Whats up with my Grail?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsh

Reaction score
I recently got my Grail module from Klark, but I'm really surprised it doesn't sound like I expected it to. Yes, it's got that Rectifier "Grind". But it's not cutting through the mix too well. The gain is too low for any Dimebag squeals, which is something I like to do a lot. IMHO, it's still not tight. Sounds slightly flubby.

Gain is set around 40-50% (anything over that causes feedback), OD up front, and I've got EH12AX7's in V1 and V2. Is this the best the Grail can do? Can I set it up better? Or is something wrong with mine? Any known mods?

Your probably so used to modded modules that nothing is up to standards anymore. ;)

Maybe get some gut shots or something. I always thought the grail had more than enough gain for anything.

I had a grail as well, and it wasn't what i expected either? so i just got rid of it, lol , cant remember how much gain it had, but it wasnt enough for me to keep, and i tried diff tubes no change? believe it or not i was quite surprised how much gain the top boost module has, and great tone too!!!
and the XTC as well

Its funny that you mention that. Those are the exact reasons I sold my 2 channel Triple Rectifier and bought the RM100. I don't know if is was just that particular amp or what, but I never liked the tones I got out of it. I hear that Pete's mods are amazing though......

Now while the Grail isn't my favorite, it does have plenty of gain for me. I tend to use it low gain with singles and a germanium fuzz. I rarely run it over noon. In fact I rarely run any module over noon on the gain. Come to think of it, maybe you should ignore everything I say unless you're over 50 and play with P90s. Basically if there's enough gain to get a decent pinch squeal out of it there is enough gain for me.

Today my acoustic had enough gain.

Maybe I just need to experiment with the tubes or something. Playing a big gig today and the RM'4 already going there with the Grail as my rythm module - it's stressing me out a bit. Oh well, we'll see how it sounds.

If its really bad, I might do a Kurt Cobain and smash the amp to make everything look cool :lol:

Dont know if this helps any but I was just tweaking out my modules last nite and realized that some of my sound problem was not adding enough midrange, I really prefer less mids but my sound cuts through much better with more mids, so you mite try tweaking that a little if you havnt already, it took me a little getting used to the extra mids, but when i compared to why i wasnt getting the sound like other clips I heard that i liked I was missing a lot of mids, Just a thought , good luck, and no cobain smashing!!! too much money! lol!

Thanks dude. But I'm not one of those guys who's scoops the mids. I Love mids! I usually keep them at 50% or more so its definitely not that. Maybe the tubes are just old and dying. I'll try some new ones in there and if it doesnt work, it'll have to be modded.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Break a leg at your gig.

I think my issue with the Grail is that I'm preferring a Marshally sound over a Mesa sound.

Now I need to spend money on an ink cartridge so I can learn "Cancion del Mariachi" That should help my technique a bit. I know it's acoustic.

Try some high gain JJ 12AX7's in the Grail for more gain....also turn up the mids a lot...to 3 o'clock...that will get you there...[I think}
If not, have Jaded Faith mod it for you!!!!!

The EH12AX7's have a lot more gain than JJ's. Also, I find JJ's to be "fizzy" - I did try JJ's first but wasnt impressed. IMHO, the EH should be a better option than JJ.

Also, mids at 3 PM would be a bit too much no? The Grail already seems to have a good amount of mids. Too much than what I already set it at, and it would start sounding awful.

I did use the Grail in the last gig. Kicked it in at the "grindy" parts and it sounded OK. But it was nothing to write home about.

Maybe it needs some modding done to give it a bit more oomph. Does anyone know if there are any good mods for the Grail?

Jaded Faith said:
harsh said:
Maybe it needs some modding done to give it a bit more oomph. Does anyone know if there are any good mods for the Grail?
Sure do...... :wink:

Ah Rob, I kinda had a feeling I'd hear from you. :wink: PM incoming!

harsh said:
The EH12AX7's have a lot more gain than JJ's. Also, I find JJ's to be "fizzy" - I did try JJ's first but wasnt impressed. IMHO, the EH should be a better option than JJ.

Also, mids at 3 PM would be a bit too much no? The Grail already seems to have a good amount of mids. Too much than what I already set it at, and it would start sounding awful.

I did use the Grail in the last gig. Kicked it in at the "grindy" parts and it sounded OK. But it was nothing to write home about.

I've got a JJ in my Ultra XL's V1 and an EHX in modV2 and it sounds insane :D

Shinozoku said:
I've got a JJ in my Ultra XL's V1 and an EHX in modV2 and it sounds insane :D

Shin - The EHX in V2 is my preferred route for high gainers too - its got a lot more gain than JJ's. I would normally use a low gain, warm tube like a Tung Sol in V1. ran out of Tung Sols, so stuck an EHX in Grail's V1 too - clearly this is not a good option. I'll try a JJ in V1 and see if it makes a diff.

I'd actually prefer a lower gain preamp in the module V1 too, I'm just poor ;) Lovin the current sound though! Tell me what you come up with :)

Can't imagine that this module doesn't have enough gain. How come it's feeding back? I've never had that problem even with the gain set really high. Something might be up with the way you're feeding the distortion into it. If you could get the gain up to 3/4 you could squeal all day. I never use it with the gain that high BTW. Some of the feel of more "gain" could come from you setting the eq more aggressively ie. higher presence.