Where's the RM20 Love?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usrname

Reaction score
I just got my RM20 combo back from the store and I feel like I found long lost friend! I recently returned it in favor of an RM50 head because I thought the extra channel would make me happier. I also assumed it would have the same tone, but I didn't find that to be true for me. So I returned the 50 and got my 20 back!

I don't know what it is, but I think I got used to the EL84 tone and the built-in boost function, which I didn't think I would get so attached to! It just gives me that extra tweakability factor and versatility that gives my modules an additional sound.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with this amp that I've quickly become attached to. So far, I've owned the RM100, RM50 and RM20, and this one is my favorite. Mind you I'm not gigging anymore, so for me, this is perfect for home and garage/basement jamming. If ever get another MTS, it will probably be an RM4. Anyone else have a similar experience or RM20 thoughts, maybe the opposite? :D

+1. I don't think you'll find many that have bad things to say about it.

Michael Wagener is a fan and has used it on pretty big time records as well.

I personally have the RM20 and a RM4+RT2/50 setup. Great for different things.

I love my rm20 as well, I've never been happier with any other amp I've owned. it's interesting what you say about trading in the 20 for the 50 because you thought you'd appreciate the extra slot. I have wondered the same thing (whether i should have gone for the 50 initially, for the 2 slot versatility). I'm just enjoying experimenting with different tubes and whatnot at the moment.

btw, have the Ultra XL, with a 2x12 (wgs vet 30 and green beret) downright punishing sound.

I would like to get my hands on an RM20 one day. Dont get me wrong I love my rm100 but I would like something smaller to take to work, its kind of a pain lugging it around, plus the cab.

Yeah, that's the other thing I like about it - the portability factor. It's really not that heavy considering the tone that's coming out of it. I also like that it's taller instead of wider as with most combos, makes it alot more manuverable. And the almost closed back gives it a nice thump. I plan to use an external cab when jamming with friends, though, to prevent shell shock. :wink:

electricevil said:
I love my rm20 as well, I've never been happier with any other amp I've owned. it's interesting what you say about trading in the 20 for the 50 because you thought you'd appreciate the extra slot. I have wondered the same thing (whether i should have gone for the 50 initially, for the 2 slot versatility). I'm just enjoying experimenting with different tubes and whatnot at the moment.

btw, have the Ultra XL, with a 2x12 (wgs vet 30 and green beret) downright punishing sound.

If I was playing large halls and such, I think a 50 or 100 would be in order, but 20 watts is more than enough for me right now. I'm thinking of swapping in some actual Mesa tubes into the Grail to see if will get even closer to that Recto sound, but I'm sure it won't be dead on without that 6L6 power section. What kind of tubes have you tried? What did you like best? What kind of music do you play?

I've tried the 20 through a Mesa Thiele cab w/ EVM, but didn't like the sound; I think the EV's high 200 wattage rating is way too much for the 20, so I'm going to try the combo through my Mesa Recto 2x12 cab, (V30s), this weekend and will report back with the results.

Hmmm, I wonder if two RM20 heads would fit on a 2x12 cab. That would be a killer rig. I guess you could stack 'em. :idea:

i plugged my rm20 combo into my mesa 4x12 with v30s last night and that sounded great. it sounded way better than the greenback that is in the combo. it completely negates the portability factor though. maybe i'll look for a mesa or genz benz 2x12...or try switching the greenback for a v30 in the rm20.

bj4rd said:
i plugged my rm20 combo into my mesa 4x12 with v30s last night and that sounded great. it sounded way better than the greenback that is in the combo. it completely negates the portability factor though. maybe i'll look for a mesa or genz benz 2x12...or try switching the greenback for a v30 in the rm20.

I never heard the Genz Benz, but the Mesa Thiele sounds like a mini 4x12 and has great cab thunk to it. That loaded with a V30, would probably make for a nice portable rig. Plus, it sits nicely on top! I'm thinking about doing this myself in the near future. But if you're into 2x12s, go for it!

usrname said:
electricevil said:

If I was playing large halls and such, I think a 50 or 100 would be in order, but 20 watts is more than enough for me right now. I'm thinking of swapping in some actual Mesa tubes into the Grail to see if will get even closer to that Recto sound, but I'm sure it won't be dead on without that 6L6 power section. What kind of tubes have you tried? What did you like best? What kind of music do you play?

I've tried the 20 through a Mesa Thiele cab w/ EVM, but didn't like the sound; I think the EV's high 200 wattage rating is way too much for the 20, so I'm going to try the combo through my Mesa Recto 2x12 cab, (V30s), this weekend and will report back with the results.

Hmmm, I wonder if two RM20 heads would fit on a 2x12 cab. That would be a killer rig. I guess you could stack 'em. :idea:

All I ever wanted this amp for was for big time sound at lower volumes and to be able to go to a jam and still cut through. I can say it satisfies my needs so I'm happy with it.

I own the head, and love how small it is. amp in one hand , guitar case in the other no probs packing it around. I'm currently using PM tubes el84's (i got these at my music store, never heard of them, did some research apparently the brand is used in alot of high end audio equipment? i dunno)
they are very well balanced. and a nice suprise was putting a jj 12at7 in the amps V1 slot. it gave me some more sweep on the gain knob, as the Ultra XL has just too much, and added some noticable low end(mind you, thats probably just from it being a JJ replacing an EH 12ax7).

I'll post a pic of the mini rig

Blako

photo.php

I'm a retard so hopefully this link works, I've made 2 of my own 1x12 's and currently am using a 2X12 I made all with the same grill treatment. I added the grill to the rm20 to tie it all together.

Thanks shred!

yeah, my rm20 came to me with no logo on it... pretty lame.

its kinda dark fendery :evil:

'Nother rm20 owner/lover here.

With the blackface mod it kills as a pedal-platform amp.

An emi wizard @ 103 spl makes it more than giggable.

Yeah, I was thinking of throwing some pedals in front of the Deluxe mod myself. Sounds like it would make for a simple, but versatile setup by itself!

I would love to get a RM20 either Combo or the Head. Just because its so mobile! But they are almost as pricey as a RM100! :shock:

Mailman1971 said:
I would love to get a RM20 either Combo or the Head. Just because its so mobile! But they are almost as pricey as a RM100! :shock:

Tell me about it! I probably could have gotten a better deal used, but I don't feel bad 'cause I'm happy with it.