Which mod to get modded?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

///MK

Reaction score
Hello I currently have the following mods in my RM100 set up in a WDW configuration with an external poweramp

Blackface fantastic cleans 'nuff said
Mr Scary great modded marshal notchy mids
XTC similar to Scary with just a little more umph
1086 mega gain but lacking clarity and presence for my taste almost uberlike.

I love them all but to me they are all best served as they are now for rhytm tones (tight attack great punch)

Out of all of theese mods I still do not have the searing sustaining lead sound that I am kind of used to with my previous preamps. I wish to send one to get modded. Which after modification would give me the best hi sustain lead tone (think Petrucci vai, Dimebag etc)
VR,
///MK

I personally would have the 1086 moddded by Pete. He really brings the TONE out of that module. You wont be sorry. I owned all the modules you have and they were all modded as well and the 1086 blows it out of the water when modded. Just my 2 cents! :wink:

your quest for the lead tone ends with a PeteXTC- it's phenomenal!

Though I never did hear a Pete1086, I'm sure that would be a versatile beast.

2 for XTC
1 for 1086

Ironically currently the scary is probably my favorite mod...
I am a huge fan of that old school souped up marshall tone.

Starting to lean towards modding XTC first since what I still feel Im lacking is the super lead channel like what I was used to with my 3TM MP1 gave me (tons of saturated gain and sustain)
FWIW my RM100 now has 2 el34 (inside) and 2 kt88 (outside)

Pete has new audio clips on his site (nice rebuild on the site btw!).
They have me wanting an XTC and Ultra at the very least now. I played both, and disliked them. But his clips.. whoa... XTC got that liquid Vai lead, and the Ultra just.. wow. I want a Brown mod, Plexi mod.. (sigh)... I think I could run through lottery money with my wish list now!

Honestly if you're liking the Scary the best, I'd get that modded.

Its supposed to be hot rodded marshall tones, and hot rodded marshall tones are great for leads.
So my vote goes there.

Mostly, the mods upgrade the tone, but the basic platform of the original tone is still evident- so you have to like what you have to begin with; however, I luke-warm liked the stock xtc, but the modded version is really a different animal

True, if Scary is your fav, that would be a good choice...in fact, it's on my shopping list!

I love the sl+ modded with the jcm 900 switch and the 3 position switch for normal, less bass, even less bass. Turn on the 900 and suck out the mids and modern marshall. Add mids for the dsl type tone. My favorite. Thanks Pete (':D')