Which mod to get?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I is be sexy

Reaction score
Which modded module should I get for death metal? I need it to be tight and articulate (tech death), but still thick and "br00taly crushing"

I think what I'm looking for is a recto sound, but tighter and maybe with even more gain. Any suggestions? Thanks :D

Something by Salvation 1666, Mamba, S1S0, Kraken.....or a stock UltraXL if monies be tight

Check out Salvation mods sound clips:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=909142
There are 2 pages of clips to listen to.
It's only a short matter of time before this thread gets flooded with suggestions from the usual suspects on this forum. They got good advice and a lot of experience with modded modules. Peace :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Thanks guys, I wasn't expecting responses so quickly. Yeah, I've been looking at a few Salvation mods, like the Mamba, Chupacabra, and Angel B. I suppose Antonin would be the best person to ask about the differences between his own mods, but I've already emailed him once in the past and he's probably really busy... How close are the Mamba and Angel B to the Cobra and Powerball, respectively? Like, would comparing clips of the actual amps help, or do the mods have their own flavor?

I never played the actual amps, but the clips of the Mamba are dead on to KSE Daylight Dies. It was so startling how awesome the mod was I began to think I need to try a Cobra Amp- until my buddy heard my clips and said "What's the point? That Mamba tone slays and fits your style perfectly!" Agreed...the Mamba most likely has more switch options too, lol

...and like that pfft, Keiyser Cranky was gone

Before I posted here, I was already thinking the Mamba would probably be the way to go, but I wanted some other opinions... Sounds like you think the Mamba's pretty cool, eh? :) it doesn't seem to be used with much gain in those clips, though... How gainy can it get?

How about trying out an Ultra XL and if you feel you need more gain, you could contact one of the several modders and get it to where you want it as far as bass, gain, and tightness. Pete@gigmods has a section here on the forum and from what I hear, his mods are very good and he'll work with you to get you the sound that you are looking for. I heard some samples of a Gigmods Recto on youtube and it kills.
If you are looking to perfectly and precisely replicate a particular amp, then realize that it is impossible. For one thing, you can have two of the same amp and they will sound different. The electronic components can have variances %30+/- or more and tubes all sound slightly different as well. Even the same type of tube by the same manufacturer can sound different. The best you can do is get the best module that works with your system, with the best quality components and tubes. Then adjust to taste. :wink:

the 3 clips on my link are all Mamba with the gain set 2 or 3 oclock

If you want even more brutality, the 1666/chubacabre has the most violent tone out there. In comparison, The Mamba has some more friendly mids and powerful lows- not that Mamba is a friendly mod, but 1666 sounds like an axe murderer knocking down your door- and tight as tight can be

Those clips have some pretty sick tones on em'. I dig the Mamba. It sort of sounds like a less fizzy Mesa sound with smoother midrange. I'm sure live through a 4x12 cab is a whole other experience. :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Ray:
Oh, the clips I listened to and thought they weren't gainy enough were the ones on Salvation's page, I'll listen to yours and see what I think

EDIT: Hmm, it still sounds kind of ungainy to me... maybe I've been spoiled by clips like these http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66656 Does anyone know how to get their amps to sound like these? Is it just multi-tracking?

Daryl:
I have a stock Ultra and a Kyle modded Ultra Dragon. While the Dragon is cool and definitely an improvement, they both still sound 5150ish, and I assume the XL would too. To me, 5150s sound too fizzy and the lows aren't powerful enough, so if the Mamba sounds like a less fizzy Mesa, that should be an improvement in both those areas.[/url]

I've had a lot of positive/negative comments on my clips- but ungainy is not one of them :shock:

I think the differences you're hearing are not gain- tuning, guitar, eq, recording chain, song material, player, etc

Yeah, I think you're confusing gain with production quality to be honest. The Mamba will have PLENTY of gain sir. If you like those clips you posted from rig-talk though, you might want to look into the Salvation Angel as well. The clips you had were very "djent" at times, and ENGLs are known for their "djenty" goodness haha

Alright, thanks. Another question: would running, say, a Mamba and an Angel in stereo give that multi-tracked recording sound (that I was confusing for gain) in a live setting? If so, is it possible to use an RM4 and run two of the modules in it at the same time, one to each side of the power amp, and then each into its own speaker?

Hughjasol beat me to the punch. Essentially you would need 2 RM4s & an A/B/Y switch to have your guitar signal going to both RM4s. Not sure about the poweramp. You probably could get by with running in stereo & an RM4 to each.

So, unless someone has the know-how to mod an RM4 so that it acts like two "RM2"s (unlikely), you'd need two RM4s? That sucks, cause I'm poor :cry: Oh well, thanks everyone

Ja,

those clips are multi tracked with effects, the guitar "tone" itself is pretty easily achieved with a 7 string or deteuned guitar and a source of hefty distortion; 5150, Rectifier, boss pedal, Engl or Diezel amp, or even one of your higher gain Randall modules.

Yes, since that is more than one guitar, can't get that sound from only 1.

I am no expert on that kind of sound or music, I have seen 1000s of kids do it with Rectifiers, but I would think the Salvation module would be your best bet on that. But, I would think the Ultra or Kirk Hammett module would work too.

If anyone could mod your RM4 to run 2 modules at a time it would be Hilligan. Look him up on the forums here. Don't be too disappointed if he says "no" though.

Well right now I just have an RM50 combo, but thanks, I will look into that for the future... do you guys think running two modules in stereo would give that multi-tracked sound, or would it just sound like a hybrid between the amps?