Which module for 80s Metallica - Master of Puppets?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LockStock

Reaction score
I've got a Lynchbox with 6L6s installed - loving my Brahma and Mr. Scary, and looking for another flavor - but what I really am missing in my arsenal is Metallica MOP tone - do any of the modules do it?

i use the sl+ module to get earlier metallica rhythm tones and the recto for anything off the 'black' album.

the sl+ is the closest sound i have ever gotten to the metallica 'scooped-mid' rhythm tone. i used to own an ada mp-1 and that kinda got it but was majorly tinny sounding. the sl+ (and any randall module) is completely full-sounding, just like a real amp. imo, the sl+ is designed to be used as a rhythm module and just doesn't sound as good for leads. when playing metal, i'll use the sl+ for rhythm and recto for leads. btw, i use an ernie ball music man luke with emg pickups to get the metallica tone. hope this helps.

:)

Thanks. Early Metallica - KEA and RTL - seems I can get those tones from a lot of Marshall-type amps.

The ones I have a hard time nailing are the MOP-Black Album tones. The MOP tone is my favorite though.

Ultra - I'll look into it.

The SL+ looks like it would overlap a lot with my Brahma.

The Recto and 1086 modules will get you post-black album and somewhat black album tones but for Puppets and Justice you need tighter bottom end...not necessarily Marshall style (KEA and RTL).

i should also have stated in my original post that the sl+ sounds the best out of all the modules when setting up a 'scooped-mid' tone. to me the module sounds best with the mids lowered (around 9 to 10 o'clock). also, you need less gain when playing rhythm as opposed to leads - i have the ultra as well and it has the most distortion/gain/sustain than any other module i have (i currently own 9). i have the ultra's gain knob at around 10 o'clock and i use this setting to cop queensryche 'operation mindcrime' tones.

you should really try out the sl+ for the 'master of puppets' tones. remember also that back then in the 80's, hetfield was still using marshall's so it makes sense to use a marshall-style module as opposed to a mesa-style (which is his modern sound). i also noticed with the sl+ that i need to keep rolling back the gain because too much distortion for rhythm tones just dirties it up too much. pair it with a bbe sonic maximizer (which i use through the series fx loop) and you'll get the tightest metallica/metal-type tones ever!)

i'm telling ya, the sl+ is perfect for early metallica rhythms. you gotta try it out. :wink:

James used Marshalls on KEA and RTL (with a distortion pedal) but from Puppets on used the Mark IIc (with the Marshall as a power-amp), then Triaxis, then Rectifiers.

That's not to say that I don't think you could get close with the SL+, I was using it for my scooped rhythm thrash style sound and it did what I needed...but I wouldn't say it was the amp getting the sound so much as what I dialed into the EQ, the rest of my gear (6L6's in a Mesa 2:100 power amp), and my playing style/response. I mean, the thing worked equally well for playing Slayer and Megadeth but we all know that's three different amp sounds.

Basically, I'm saying that with any high gain module, you can get close enough to most scooped thrash sounds that you can work with it to sound like what you want. But for the authenticity, you're not going to get Master Of Puppets from a Marshall tone.