Which module for this clean sound? Pink Floyd/Marillion/prog

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgk62

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a specific clean sound and was wondering which module would get me there.

I'm into sounds like David Gilmour's clean sound from Shine on you Crazy Diamond, or Steve Rothery's (Marillion) clean sound.
I'll be using a chorus and delay most of the time.

The ability to add a little dirt would be good too.

I know Gilmour used a Hiwatt and Marillion was using a combination JC120/Marshall set up

Thanks in advance!

Try a JTM with 12AT7 tubes to lower the gain a bit. The Clean is too flat and the the Blackface is too hollow to me for those tones.

Robert

jgk62 said:
I'm looking to get a specific clean sound and was wondering which module would get me there.

I'm into sounds like David Gilmour's clean sound from Shine on you Crazy Diamond, or Steve Rothery's (Marillion) clean sound.
I'll be using a chorus and delay most of the time.

The ability to add a little dirt would be good too.

I know Gilmour used a Hiwatt and Marillion was using a combination JC120/Marshall set up

Thanks in advance!

From what I've read, Rothery used a Roland JC120 with Chorus for his clean sound, a Marshall for Crunch and, surprisingly, a DS-1 through the JC120 for leads. I'd use a Twin for his clean sounds, just add chorus and delay, play some arpeggios and instant Rothery.

I've decided to go with a blackface for the cleans.
I'll try to post something once I get used to it.

I was leaning toward the clean module but have read reviews that it's too cold.

The Clean tends to be a very 'sterile' sound...almost too clean for my liking. The Blackface is twangy and bright, which is kinda what you'd expect. In my opinion the Tweed would be the closest thing to Gilmour's sound on that album as you can get some grit in there if you turn the gain up. I use that module when we're doing a cover of 'Breathe' and it works pretty well with a BYOC Phaser in front of it.

In the studio David Gilmore used an Alembic Pre-amp for his clean tone. I know this because a good friend of mine rents him his gear (and the Stones etc..). Then he compresses it quite alot to get that singing clean tone....oh and I almost forgot...he is freakin' DAVID GILMORE!!!!, ok?
That said, until Randall makes an Alembic preamp module (which aint gonna happen)..I think the Deluxe gets real close. That and a Boss compressor in front, set pretty high. people say that may be a bit setile, well have you heard an Alembic preamp? Its kinda sterile,too.
But thats what I use, If I want that sound.
Gilmore is great, and the last CD is fantastic..If you havent heard it yet.

vindaloo said:
The Clean tends to be a very 'sterile' sound...almost too clean for my liking. The Blackface is twangy and bright, which is kinda what you'd expect. In my opinion the Tweed would be the closest thing to Gilmour's sound on that album as you can get some grit in there if you turn the gain up. I use that module when we're doing a cover of 'Breathe' and it works pretty well with a BYOC Phaser in front of it.
Blackface or Tweed would depend a lot upon the valves used with these and in the power section. For example a Blackface with TS pre-amp valves and the TS 6L6 STR you have a rather dark and mellow affair. Then the speakers in question makes all the difference too.

Isn't that pre based on a Fender circuit? I thought he still used that in his rig with the HiWatt.

GtrGeorge! said:
In the studio David Gilmore used an Alembic Pre-amp for his clean tone. I know this because a good friend of mine rents him his gear (and the Stones etc..). Then he compresses it quite alot to get that singing clean tone....oh and I almost forgot...he is freakin' DAVID GILMORE!!!!, ok?
That said, until Randall makes an Alembic preamp module (which aint gonna happen)..I think the Deluxe gets real close. That and a Boss compressor in front, set pretty high. people say that may be a bit setile, well have you heard an Alembic preamp? Its kinda sterile,too.
But thats what I use, If I want that sound.
Gilmore is great, and the last CD is fantastic..If you havent heard it yet.

According to this site Gilmour used a modified Alembic mainly as an EQ section to bring some bass back to his Hiwatts: http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=71

I own an Alembic F2-B preamp. The circuit is supposed to be an exact copy of a Fender bassman pre. It has 2 independent channels each with one tube. Both channels are super clean and can get quite bass heavy unless the bass control is low (it is a bass preamp after all). The Alembic has a very organic tone and a nice Fender chime to it. Does it sound like Gilmour? IMO, a little but not completely. I think the Hiwatt amps, like his playing, are what defines his sound.

The closest thing I've found to the Alembic is Ch A of the Egnater B'Man module. The tones are so close that I've almost sold the Alembic on several occasions. I'm glad I still have it though, as it does have some magic to it. :)

I pull of Gilmour and the JC-120 sound both from the Egnater Twin/Vox module. It gives the chime of the JC with a bit of chorus and also has the warmth of Gilmour's sound when compressed.