which modules to fill the tone gaps between these 5?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9985 said:
KH-3. Biggest disappointment. I love Metallica, thought I would dig it. Just uncontrollable gain for me, very muddy & prone to feedback above maybe 4 on the gain scale. It turned me off so bad that I gave up after only maybe 10 minutes & moved onto the other modules, I need to go back to it & experiment more with EQ, maybe some different guitars. Might need to lower the bridge humbuckers in both my LP & Strat to deal with the mega high-gain modules.

So - I am still looking for a Brahma or Grail, hopefully the Top Boost mod will give me broader clean range. One parting shot- the Bright switch was so subtle on all the modules that had it I could barely hear any difference.

KH-3 Something wrong in your signal chain...most likely a bad pre-amp tube in the module itself but high gainers have a habit of finding other weak points - e.g. perhaps your guitar has a slightly microphonic pickup.

There is nothing muddy about the module AFAIK....well certainly not thru' a cab with v30s....if you'd said it was a KH-2 had too much bass/flubby or muddy low end then I would understand.

Staring point on KH-3, Gain 12 to 1 o'clock, Bass - 12 o'clock...mids anywhere you like above 9 o'clock (really...this module rocks for how broad and beautiful the midrange is)...Treble 12 to 2 o'clock....Bright switch oin.

The Bright switch has less effect the higher the gain is...this is true of all modules.

JKD said:
KH-3 Something wrong in your signal chain...most likely a bad pre-amp tube in the module itself but high gainers have a habit of finding other weak points - e.g. perhaps your guitar has a slightly microphonic pickup.

There is nothing muddy about the module AFAIK....well certainly not thru' a cab with v30s....if you'd said it was a KH-2 had too much bass/flubby or muddy low end then I would understand.

Staring point on KH-3, Gain 12 to 1 o'clock, Bass - 12 o'clock...mids anywhere you like above 9 o'clock (really...this module rocks for how broad and beautiful the midrange is)...Treble 12 to 2 o'clock....Bright switch oin.

The Bright switch has less effect the higher the gain is...this is true of all modules.

Thanks for the tips- I have some extra EH 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, will experiment with swapping them out. I'll try some different guitar/pickup combinations too. I quickly ran through all 5 of the modules & zipped past this one when I didn't like the tone immediately, will spend more time with it to see if I can pin it down.

G.A.S. is kicking in... ordered a Brahma (new) today, and an XTC (used) off the classifieds last night.