Which Speakers and cab are you using (4x12 or 10s)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonP

Reaction score
Yes, I did a search. Once again, it pulled up almost every thread in the forum.

Just curious what everyone is using who is doing the sealed back cab. I'm using the ol' Marshall 1960A with the trusty G12-75's.

I may want to track down the matcing cab for my RM100M, wanted to see if these are popular or not.

Thanks!

I'm using a Randall XL with Vintage 30s with my RM 100. I have a love/hate thing going on with V30s, they kill for higher gain stuff, but the clean tone just sounds "spikey" to me. They're still new so hopefully they'll get better as they break in a bit.

I also have a Randall 1x12 loaded with an older English made G12H-30 which I usually use with my RM1250, and a 2x12 with Chineese Greenbacks. I actually like the Greenbacks for certain things, but they seem to get a lot of hate on this forum for some reason.

Those T75s, although the most manufactured speaker around, I'm sure are great for really heavy gain and/ or fairly bright pickups but nut much else, should I venture a guess.

I'm a huge sucker for the Fane Medusa 150C, which is middy a bit like the V30, but also smooth, and bright enough for cleans. That said it's still laid back and takes heavy distorion very well. It's a fairly defined speaker but even so it never gets abusive the way Lansings and EVs can.

I recently downsized to 212s but they still sound huge in those Marshall 1966/ 2556 cabs. For a broader tone the 150-150C combo is to die for

All of my cabs are front loaded speaker cabs,

Randall war head straight cab

VHT/Fryette fatbottom straight cab

Carvin legacy slant

@ OP your search button must be broken. Just busting your balls now... lol

The only thing I got to say is plug into the cabs that pique your interest and play it (recommended or not). This is going to be the only way your truly going to know if you like a cab or if its going to work for you. Ive learned the hardway listening to other peoples opinions.

For me a 2x12 front loaded closed back old sunn cab. Have a wgs Brit lead and a vintage 30 in it. I like it although it is mid heavy. Good enough for cleans with the lead 80 helping in that respect. Unless your playing all high gain I always like to mix speakers and try to pick deals on fleabay when I can.

I'm down to two 4x12s, Voodoo and Cameron.

Voodoo Amps cab is loaded with WGS Veteran 30s/HM75s X pattern.
Cameron cab is loaded with Celestion G12H30s.

Both sound great, yet different. That said, I generally use a 2x12 with an Egnater MOD50. The MOD100 is becoming cumbersome in my old age. I've loaded up with 2x12s as I got rid of 4x12s, I have four of those. :D

My main cab is a Recto vertical 2x12 loaded with one of the stock Vintage 30s and one Eminence Tonkerlite. The Eminence went in there because I wanted to cut down on some of the V30-ness of the sound, and I had that speaker around already. It sounds great, though maybe it'd sound even better with another speaker.

In my apartment, I run my stuff through the combo cab of my Boogie Studio .22. I used to have a Vintage 30 in there, but a while ago I yanked it and replaced it with a Mesa/Celestion MC90, which I think is pretty close to a Classic Lead 80. It's a LOT better for MTS stuff than the V30 was. The MC90 is an excellent all-around speaker with a present British midrange, but not spiky/raspy like the V30, and sounds great for cleans too.

Oh, and I also have a Sunn T50 1x12 cabinet with a G12T-75, but I haven't tried the RM100 through it yet. My Rivera M100 sounds great through it, but I've always had better luck with 75s for that amp.

Randall 412KHX with V30s and T75s in X-pattern. Sounds great, and added bonus of the Mic Eliminator. I don't normally use it up front, but its always good to have extra tools if you can't get the sound you're looking for on tape. That and sometimes I'll use it in a lower volume 'center' track to beef up my L/R guitar tracks. I don't know why...I'm more of a player than a sound engineer. But it's worked well so far.

I use a 4X12 cab that i made from Marshall 1960b specs. I use warehouse guitar speakers. 2 Veteran 30's and 2 Reaper's in a X pattern. I also use a 1936 Marshall also loaded with WGS speakers. One Veteran 30 and one HM 75. I spoke to Trace at Voodoo and he recommended the 4X12 combo of Veteran 30's and HM75's in a X pattern. I'm going to put them in my next project, a Orange 4X12. Now if I can only find the spec's. Hope that helps.

Bukak65 said:
I use a 4X12 cab that i made from Marshall 1960b specs. I use warehouse guitar speakers. 2 Veteran 30's and 2 Reaper's in a X pattern. I also use a 1936 Marshall also loaded with WGS speakers. One Veteran 30 and one HM 75. I spoke to Trace at Voodoo and he recommended the 4X12 combo of Veteran 30's and HM75's in a X pattern. I'm going to put them in my next project, a Orange 4X12. Now if I can only find the spec's. Hope that helps.

Never tried the Reapers, but Trace's recommendation works for me! Trace is one of the best.

Down to..
4x12 Dean Markley (early 90's), modified internally, home to 2xEVM12L (200w/ea). 4x12 homebrew, 2x Dean Markley 80w (by Celestion) and 2x 300w jukebox speakers. 2x12 w/ Celestion G12M-25. 2x12 w/ Hellatone 30 (Celestion G12H30, "aged and exercised"). I have a few stray speakers sitting in boxes as well, just no cabs to home them in currently.

I run through a randall 4x12 cab that belonged to ty tabor from kings x the backplate was removed and replaced with one that is only stereo and they added a divider between the upper 12's and lower 12's and its loaded with vintage 30s from the 90s. It was his a cab while touring for ogre tones in 1994 so the speakers are well broken in. he also signed the back of it.

Chris, that's cool about getting Ty's cab, one of my favorite guitar players.
He's also one of the reasons I tried out MTS. I had the chance to talk to him while opening for KingsX.

I have Genz Benz G-flex 2x12 and 4x12. Both sound really good but I still prefer the Recto 4x12. I am running 2 V-30s and 2 Black Shadow C90's in an X pattern. Really good sounding cab.

I also added 1/8" to the center support piece for the rear baffle so tightening the outside screws "flexes" the baffle like the G-Flex front baffle. It does make a slight difference. I always thought the Oversized Recto cabs were a bit too resonant and woofy and this solves it to my ears. It tightens up the sound by tightening the rear like a drum head.