Which would You Choose?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingV

Reaction score
I am using the Randall RT50-2 and RM4. I would like to be able to change presets/patches within a song with as little effort as possible, i.e. step on a MIDI switch once to go from distortion to clean tones etc., you get the idea I'm sure. I already have the FCB1010 MIDI Controller foot controller. Not against using something else if in the overall deal it works better.

Which would you choose? I am surely not rich but can buy one of the set-ups below.

1. Digitech GSP 1101 with their Foot Controller or my FCB1010 controller.

2. My current collection of stompboxes [8] and a Carl Martin OctaSwitch or Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher [2] and Commander.

3. Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro and GCX Audio Switcher and my Stompboxes [8]

4. Some other Multi-Effects rack unit like the Rocktron/TC G Major etc. I would limit the effects unit at about $500 like the GSP1101 cost.

Thanks sincerely for your opinion if you wish to share it based on your experience or knowledge. My stompboxes are Distortions, Octivio, Wah, Chorus, Delay, Acoustic Simulator, 10 band Stereo EQ, Reverb.

I own both the GSP as a Xpression. The concept of the GSP looks great but I don't like how it responses to the RM4. I guess the signal of the RM4 is too hot, especially high gain sounds , to much feedback. Also it reacts to ambient noise in my rack , not shielded correct. Therefore I choose th xpression over the GSP. big advantage is that you have led's with inputlevels (so you know a signal is coming out). I have the xpression in series with the RM4. Only thing I needed to get is a wahwah seperatly. So my vote goes to the rocktron.

Raf

Thanks Raf, those are the kind of things I am wanting to know. I appreciate your sharing your experience.

The more feedback I can get on this the better, I need to get this rack together asap and have it working smoothly.

Oh, btw it is important to me that the solution work well for recording in a home studio [nothing fancy] as well as live small venue use. I am using a PC DAW, Presonus FireStudio Project, MIDI Keyboard and VST's, Cubase, small studio monitors, all very basic entry level gear.

FlyingV said:
Thanks Raf, those are the kind of things I am wanting to know. I appreciate your sharing your experience.

The more feedback I can get on this the better, I need to get this rack together asap and have it working smoothly.

Oh, btw it is important to me that the solution work well for recording in a home studio [nothing fancy] as well as live small venue use. I am using a PC DAW, Presonus FireStudio Project, MIDI Keyboard and VST's, Cubase, small studio monitors, all very basic entry level gear.

If you put the RM4 in front of the Xpression , you have a stereo output that can go into a poweramp or with speaker simulator straight into whatever you want. All the FX are post preamp anyway.

Raf

How many pedals?

For the ultimate in flexibility I would go with a Axess GRX4 and FX1 but that is big bucks - the FX1 is $1,000 I think.

A used Rocktron All Access is another good choice or a used Ground Control pro.

ned said:
How many pedals?

For the ultimate in flexibility I would go with a Axess GRX4 and FX1 but that is big bucks - the FX1 is $1,000 I think.

A used Rocktron All Access is another good choice or a used Ground Control pro.

8 pedals right now, may want to add one or two more max. Currently have 2 distortions, Octive, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Acoustic Simulator and Wah.

I'll check out the items you mentioned as the only one I kind of know about is the Ground Control Pro. Again I really appreciate your feedback on this.

I havent used the other gear you mention...but....
I have used a Digital Music Corporation (DMC) ground control for a long time (the original,not the pro) and it has been Extremely reliable.
It doesnt do the whole job your are talking about, but its excellent at what it does.
Sorry I cant be MORE helpful...but the bottom line is DMC makes stuff that holds up.