Who currently has a RM100 and an RM4/RT250 setup??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlagdog

Reaction score
I own an RM100 and today just got an RM1250. The thing is totally lifeless compared to my RM100. I put the exact same tubes in it as the RM100 and it just sounds flat. I know the RM100 is a beast compared to the poweramp but does the tone really vary this much? The low end is OK but the presence isn't even close to the RM100. Who has both that can tell me if they also have a huge difference? So far I'm just sending the 1250 back and definitely won't be doing an RM4/power amp setup if this is the difference. Please don't write you have an RM4 setup and it sounds great unless you have both to A/B because mine aren't even close to sounding alike. The RM100 is easily 10 times better sounding.

Maybe yours has an issue, I used to only play rm100 and rm100c then switched to rack unit rm4's and rt250 and now have a rm1250 as well.

Can never go wrong with rm4 and rt250, better than my rm100 and rm100c serums easily cause tube variations. And running my rm1250 into my rt250 sounds amazing - to me it sounds better running that route than my rm4's into my rt250 for some reason.

Rm1250 by itself sounds same to me as rm100 and rm100c (I a/bed my rm100c last week) and sounds similar to rm4 into rt250 when using one tube type not blend mode. It doesn't have as much variation on presence and density compared to rt250 and rm100 and rm100c for some reason, but it's subtle not a huge difference to my ears to be honest. But when I use it through my rt250, I use the presence and density on that instead.

Also check your preamp tubes possibly on rm1250, cause my rm100c a/b with rm1250 sounded about same to me .... definitely not 10x difference.

It might not be for everyone, but if running with an rt250 it sounds great in my opinion.

I tend to agree with Disciple. I had an RM100 and grudgingly traded it for the RM4 and RT2/50 setup so it would be more portable and actually liked the RM and RT better. I feared it would not be as good as the head because that has always been old fashioned guitar logic (heads sound better than racks) but i loved it.

I never fell in love with the rm1250. I thought it looked cheap with undersized transformers and lacked the versatility of the RM100 or RM4 and RT. But as disciple said if you couple the 1250 with the RT it might kick some serious butt.

My 1250 with the presence at noon sounds like you have a blanket over the cab. It only sounds decent with the presence on about 4:00. Then if you go any higher than that it is terrible sounding. My only issue with it is that. I actually like the lowend better than my RM100 but it just doesn't have much in the presence side. If I ran my RM100 at 4:00 presence my ears would bleed. I already changed all the tubes out from the Ruby's that were in there to JJ's just to be safe but its still the same. Another odd thing is I biased the tubes and the bias adjust buttons turn the tubes down when you turn them to the right and up when you turn them to the left. That seemed weird to me.

My bias is same on my rm1250 as well.

JJ's are normally darker sounding, and personally I like EHX and Tung Sols for most of my power tubes. If you get a chance try some Tung sol 5881's they're great! I don't have the blanket effect at all with my rm1250, not sure what may be the main issue on that.

Do you have the one with the master volume? For some reason all the pics of the RM12's are no master. Where do you run your presence? It's just not quite open enough. My Triple Rec and RM100 just have an openness and brightness not here on the 1250. I hate having to run it at 4:00 just to get it were I need to be. I need that 4:00 to be at about 1:00. I've also been playing the RM100 for years so my ears may be totally tuned to it. I realized the transformers are tiny compared to the 100 so maybe that it just the difference. I sit here crazed about my tone so just having it slightly different may be killing my judgement.

Also, I got the RM1250 and a brand new Ultra for $800 shipped. So I really hate to return it since it was a super huge deal.

I run my presence around 1 o'clock on mine and my rm1250 has the master volume on front as well.

Did you get that one on eBay from music go round? Mine was from them too for $600 with two new mods (clean and tweed) - had damage from previous shipping to rack ear and cage around tubes but all fixed and 100% working...couldn't pass up that deal especially since I just traded my rm100 and some pedals I don't use anymore for it.

I guess I got a bad deal even though it's in mint condition. There is no way the 1250 sounds anything close to my RM100 at 1:00. My 4:00 is about noon on the Rm100. I'll call and complain tomorrow that I paid $800 and they told me they couldn't go any lower. Mandy will be getting a talking to on that. I with I could hear your 1250 to compare but all I know is it isn't close to my 100. Maybe I will just return it since I didn't get an awesome deal. I didn't want to have to buy 2 more Rm4's and a power amp to put all my modules in because that gets extra pricey. I'm tired of them sitting on the shelf. I am annoyed the musicgoround jacked to.

$800 near mint and a new module is a good deal I think, considering mine was pretty jacked up on the outside from a few bumps or drops lol thats why mine was lower because that.

You could always run it using slave out into your rm100 and use that as your power amp like I am doing with my rt250, and then you'll have 15 slots for mods :)

Disciple said:
You could always run it using slave out into your rm100 and use that as your power amp like I am doing with my rt250, and then you'll have 15 slots for mods :)

that's what I was going to suggest too. Run your 1250 into the fx return on the RM100 or Triple Rec. See if that affects how open the preamp sounsd.

Disciple said:

Your not supposed to run an amps slave out without having a speaker load on it. The slave runs through the presence section of the 1250 so it sounds shitty. The effects send is how you should do it but ideally it should always have a speaker hooked up to it or you could blow up the output transformer. The 1250 sounds just like the Rm100 when I use the Fxsend to it. I already did that earlier when I was A/Bing them.

schlagdog said:
Your not supposed to run an amps slave out without having a speaker load on it.

My Mesa 4x12 allows two inputs don't know about your cab, but I send:

RM1250 main output into 4ohm split input and RT250 main output into other 4ohm split input.

Mine is a stereo cab also but that's a lot of overkill just to get some more presence like the Rm100. I want everything in one and thought the 1250 would just be a 50 watt 12 channel rm100 but no luck. I need to find someone quick who has one and an Rm100 to A/B them. I think we may be the only ones in the world to own these though. It may sound the same as the Rt250 but it's nothing like my RM100.

I picked up one of those $800 1250's with a free module as well. Not happy at all with the Density and Presence controls...they're kinda useless. Other than that, it sounds better than the RM4/Mesa 2:100 combination I used to run, which really surprised me. The tone on mine is wide open...no blanket sound. My newest collection of modules aren't even modded yet and I'm pretty happy with the tone I'm getting.

Greg

So where you running your presence? I'm comparing it to the RM100 which is way difference sounding. So to me at noon on this thing just isn't bright enough. I have to run it at about 4:00. I just want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with it since I can only compare it to my RM100. I have an RM4 also and your setup was exactly what I wanted to get. I almost bought a 2/100 recto poweramp by jut got this instead.

I set my Density and Presence at noon but they don't seem to do much at any position except when the Presence is full up...then it's just harsh and annoying. I contacted the seller because I thought it was defective. They aren't really following up very well about my concerns. But since I'm happy with the sound I'll just keep it. Disciple said the Density and Presence weren't very responsive on his either. I'm thinking that's just how these units work (or don't work).

These are prototypes so they will all be different and crazy. They got them at the chicago randall factory garage sale they had before they closed that factory. So we have the 72 hours to return it but thats about it Mine is like yours until about 3:00 then it starts to show up. I'm running mine at 4:00 then if you go higher it is unusable. I'm going to just try and Che k into some cap change or something to try and pump it up.

schlagdog said:
Mine is like yours until about 3:00 then it starts to show up. I'm running mine at 4:00 then if you go higher it is unusable.

My RM20 is like that too. Presence is only audible above 2:00 and harsh above 3:00, whereas the Density instantly turns everything far too boomy if you so much as think about turning it up past 0 at all. So I leave them both off.

My RM100s are totally different [from the RM20]; both controls are useful through their entire range.

iekobrid said:
schlagdog said:
Mine is like yours until about 3:00 then it starts to show up. I'm running mine at 4:00 then if you go higher it is unusable.

My RM20 is like that too. Presence is only audible above 2:00 and harsh above 3:00, whereas the Density instantly turns everything far too boomy if you so much as think about turning it up past 0 at all. So I leave the both off.

My RM100s are totally different; both controls are useful through their entire range.

That sounds more like my RM100 which I like. I usually run it at about 2:00.