Who's playing metal with their RM22, hmmmmm?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eedude

Reaction score
okay, so I'm like two months into this whole MTS thing.. because the thing is so friggen heavy i've got a two RM100's (one's a LB, just so you know I'm cool 8) )... one lives at home the other at the studio. I just feel it's a little nuts for me to have so much money tied up just cause I don't want to drag an amp back and forth! I tried stuffing helium balloons in the dead space inside the amp, and they just pop when the tubes warm up

The RM22 featurs look really cool, especially the Boost, man I could use that one the RM100 to make my Blackface go from :twisted: to : :) Also, I can build it into my rack, which I like.

So who's rock'n metal through one of these?

Well - not really metal (at least not like I used to play) - but I've used one for hard rock/hair metal - and paired with a 4x12 its pretty cool - but the el84's give it a different tone at high levels - I think it sounds great with the marshall style modules - and was pretty good with the mesa style modules at band volume - the cleans were a bit hairy, not bad, but not razor clean.

In checking out your myspace page and some of the songs - it may work really well for you - but I hate to say it - you would almost have to try it for yourself to know for sure (don't know how loud your drummer is acoustically) - but I know it keeps up really - as my drummer is obscenely loud.

The boosts add a cool setup to it - but don't add as much "gain" as one would think - but enough to push leads to the front with the volume boost it can add.

The RM50 may also be a good middle ground - no boosts like the RM22 but back to big bottle tubes. For me though I just can't get away from the 100 watt power section - even turned down it still sounds the best to me, followed by the RM20/22's, and I really didn't like the 50 watt power section of the RM50's at all - not enough headroom - and didn't break up as smooth as some other 50 watters, but thats just IMHO, you YMMV.

Oh and if I was going to keep the RM22, I was thinking the same thing - have a rack chassis made for it - as it will fit in a rack with no problems - and could fit in what looks like 4u. I never got around to that though.

The boost doesn't get much gain out of a Blackface module - not enough for rock, definitely not enough for metal.