Why do I/you stay with MTS?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gang I am really torn here. I'm trying to really downsize everything. I was like so not happy so I spent the time redialing the amp. I mean I got real basic with the tone settings....

Bottom two strings: turn up bass from zero until the sound "swells" and stop.

Middle two strings: turn up mids until the sound "swells" and stop.

Top two: same with the treble.

Gain to taste.

The KH1 has a killer jazz tone with the neck pickup on my SG. I mean killer. The tone knobs are like at 9:30. Clean as all get. Even sweet with the bridge pickup.

JTM: sweet crunch. tone knobs are sitting at 10:00

Mr. Scary: nice JCM800 tone with the gain at noon. Tone knobs are sitting around 11:00.

Tonally everything is pretty flat except for the Fletcher-Munson compensation on my rack EQ.

Sweet tone. The clean reminds me of my Deville with a Celestion touch. I stayed on the KH1 all afternoon with the neck pickup, and did some jazz.

I've had my Lynchbox 100 head now for about a year and a half, and recently I thought I needed a different tone happening....[I have 10 modules]''''A different tone??....at any rate, I played a bunch of different amps...new JVM Marshalls, Blackstar channel switchers, ect....Not that impressed...Then came back to my Lynchbox....a GREAT Vox AC30 tone..The Super V.....the great plexi...rhythum channel, and I have a Jaded Faith modded Brahma that just kills for modded marshall lead tones..That's what I use live..........he also modded a Mr Scary which is very Soldano sounding...The Blackface/Deluxe/Tweed all sound like great Fenders.....What was I thinking???? It would be true insanity to sell this amp....although the weight sucks....I run it sometimes with 4 6V6's, but my favorite tones are with the 6l6 EL34 mix...I've come back to reality...thank god....

dboy5150 said:
Problem is that I'm never allowed to crank up that high at any of the venues we play

First off, hello MTS friends. I'm new and my RM100 is still in the mail! I've been a tweaker for 20 years and look forward to more and teh RM looks like a great tweaker platform..

dboy5150, Not exactly your question, but I feel your pain with regard to not being able to get the amp to a volume to which it sings at particular venues. Here is how I solved the problem. I mic my own amp with my mic into my mic pre into a direct box and I give that signal to the house. I point my amp wherever I can that is not towards front of house. I turn down the mic pre so house is not getting anything, dial in my amp volume and then set my mic pre to feed 0dBu (line level) to the house. Works like a charm the sound guy has no idea how loud my amp is! For this to work it needs to be fairly loud front of house.

Well let me share a little bit with you all.......
From 1980-1997 I managed a small chain of Pro shops while maintaining a pretty strong schedule of regional shows as a guitarist.
I was blessed to attend Winter NAMM every year during that time as a buyer.....literally have owned just about every type of amp at one time or another (Major brands).
Did a lot of amp jumping too......I mention all this only to show a long history buying, using and selling amps over the years.

Over the last 10 years, the amp market has gone crazy as we all know with literally hundreds of boutique builders making awesome products for guitarists.
About a year and a half ago, I flew into a larger Metro area to try a bunch of gear as I was looking to buy a new amp and locally there is only the standard GC stuff to try. I had the opportunity to play dozens of great amps from some long established makers and a ton from smaller independent builders.

So.......I'm hearing a lot of good things of course but I play a wide mixture of stuff (from Blues and Blues rock to more aggressive stuff when I get the inkling). Many amps produced superior tone for a particular specialty, but nothing did them all well.
As I'm finishing up and getting a little frusterated with it all, I spy an RM100BP head and 212 cab with modules laying all over and around it (someone had been auditioning modules).
I sit down and start playing and I'm immediately blown away by how much flexibilty there is between modules and yet still, how authentic this amp sounds.........

I bought that rig and had it shipped home with a few modules. Since then I've built a large Rack rig, a small rack rack rig, reloaded my cabinets to taste, grabbed 2 RM heads, some great modules I love (a few have been modded by our gurus here) and I've never been this happy for such a long period of time with ANY gear, period.
Sure, customer service can be issue at times and my gear has had an abnormal amount of weird little repairs needed....but I don't care cause I dig this line.

That's my story.

crankyrayhanky said:
any Blues people jammin the Gigmods Tweed? It's awesome
Thanks Ray...I play blues/rock...use a JF modded Brahma, Super V and Plexi....Have a stock Tweed, but it's not quite right....Where is Gigmods???

Rod said:
Great story Bluesguitar...Thanks.....Say, what are the P-50 E speakers that you use??...just curious

P50E's are a speaker that Eminence made for VHT for years.
I took 4 out of a VHT Fatbottom cabinet and loaded my 2 Randall 212's....they sound INCREDIBLE for Blues Rock (well, everything really) and pair up nicely with every module I use.
There really isn't any tone that these speakers don't help with (IMHO).
I find V30's to be slightly brittle for my tastes (especially with the Vox AC voiced modules). The P50's smooth things out well.

Fryette Amplification is selling the P50e's on their website now that things have changed at VHT. (scroll down to bottom of page after following link).
http://www.sfdamp.com/accessories.html

Hope that's helpful....

Bluesguitar said:
Rod said:
Great story Bluesguitar...Thanks.....Say, what are the P-50 E speakers that you use??...just curious

P50E's are a speaker that Eminence made for VHT for years.
I took 4 out of a VHT Fatbottom cabinet and loaded my 2 Randall 212's....they sound INCREDIBLE for Blues Rock (well, everything really) and pair up nicely with every module I use.
There really isn't any tone that these speakers don't help with (IMHO).
I find V30's to be slightly brittle for my tastes (especially with the Vox AC voiced modules). The P50's smooth things out well.

Fryette Amplification is selling the P50e's on their website now that things have changed at VHT. (scroll down to bottom of page after following link).
http://www.sfdamp.com/accessories.html

Hope that's helpful....
Thanks for the info Bluesguitar.....I used to play a VHT Pitbull combo and loved the speakers.....didn't know Stevie was selling them...Thanks so much....

i had a good ride with this amp a awhile back. at times i had amazing tone and also some of the worst tone ever for me but i learned what i liked and disliked and what i was truly after which was a 6505. tried tons of modules and modded some myself, sent some out for modding and eventually nailed a 6505 with an ultra module. so i figured why not just buy a 6505 and be done with it. so i got one and at first was happy while i still had both amps then when i sold the randall i realized the peavey didn't have the punch and power like the randall my sound seemed to be alot smaller which made me regret selling my rm100. i stuck with the peavey actually bought 5 different one thinking one would be magical which did happen but still not the same kind of headroom and authority the randall was capable of and like always got tired of its one sound that is all it can do. so now its bye-bye peavey i'm back on the randall for good and with the easier access to modded stuff i don't think i'll ever get bored with this amp again and i know i can easily get the tone of some other amp but better. also i like this amp can handle a boost and not get lost in a mix and thin out. big problem with most amps i've ever played on

maximus1 said:
so now its bye-bye peavey i'm back on the randall for good and with the easier access to modded stuff i don't think i'll ever get bored with this amp again and i know i can easily get the tone of some other amp but better. also i like this amp can handle a boost and not get lost in a mix and thin out. big problem with most amps i've ever played on

Good to see you back, bro. You certainly helped me a lot with the tubes and all your experiments with them.
I was a 1000% behind this product. that's why i invested into not one, but two full on rig with the RM series. But now, I can't stand behind a product where there's just too much inconsistencies in reliability. I had some problems with the rM100 awhile, all of which are clearly manufacture defects, and Randall did **** about it, did not honor the warranty. Now, if you're in the US, it may be a whole different story. But in Canada, getting some help on this product is like getting an audience with the Pope.
My RM100 is working great now, after I dropped over $500 in repair to get it working in pristine shape, out of my own fucking pocket, while my amp is still under warranty, it's fucking bullshit :evil:

tung said:
maximus1 said:
so now its bye-bye peavey i'm back on the randall for good and with the easier access to modded stuff i don't think i'll ever get bored with this amp again and i know i can easily get the tone of some other amp but better. also i like this amp can handle a boost and not get lost in a mix and thin out. big problem with most amps i've ever played on

Good to see you back, bro. You certainly helped me a lot with the tubes and all your experiments with them.
I was a 1000% behind this product. that's why i invested into not one, but two full on rig with the RM series. But now, I can't stand behind a product where there's just too much inconsistencies in reliability. I had some problems with the rM100 awhile, all of which are clearly manufacture defects, and Randall did s*&t about it, did not honor the warranty. Now, if you're in the US, it may be a whole different story. But in Canada, getting some help on this product is like getting an audience with the Pope.
My RM100 is working great now, after I dropped over $500 in repair to get it working in pristine shape, out of my own f&*king pocket, while my amp is still under warranty, it's f&*king bullshit :evil:
Why would you ever spend $500 in repairs on an amp that is under warranty?....Why didn't you just take it back to the dealer?

That's the problem I had with Marshalls in this area. It was going to be a very expensive repair while under the warranty, even though Marshall was going to stand behind the product the techs wouldn't bother verifying the problems. I took the amps back to the dealer. It was during this time I found out why people have two Marshalls -- because one is always in the shop. They sound good, but I've got to be able to play them.

Rod said:
Why would you ever spend $500 in repairs on an amp that is under warranty?....Why didn't you just take it back to the dealer?

Why? Let me break it down for you. For a dealer to fix it, they have to send the repair bills to Randall and wait for Randall to compensate them. Their tech don't want to sit there and wait for his pay , which means not to get pay through Randall.
I'm a working musician, i have to get my gear fix when they go down. the dealer I bought the amp from was no help, since their tech was not interested in admitting that it was a manufacture defect. He would much rather claim that the problem is not cover under warranty, and get paid now.

tung said:
Rod said:

Why? Let me break it down for you. For a dealer to fix it, they have to send the repair bills to Randall and wait for Randall to compensate them. Their tech don't want to sit there and wait for his pay , which means not to get pay through Randall.
I'm a working musician, i have to get my gear fix when they go down. the dealer I bought the amp from was no help, since their tech was not interested in admitting that it was a manufacture defect. He would much rather claim that the problem is not cover under warranty, and get paid now.
Well, that's a pathetic way to run a business. I had a very successful music store for 27 years and never treated customers like that.....Not all music stores run their business like that... Did you try calling Randall and explain the problems to them??

Rod said:
tung said:
Rod said:
Well, that's a pathetic way to run a business. I had a very successful music store for 27 years and never treated customers like that.....Not all music stores run their business like that... Did you try calling Randall and explain the problems to them??

Hi Rod,
Yes sir, i called Randall USA and Randall Canada. Basically, Randall USA seemed to be more willing to help. But they passed me to deal with Randall Canada, since I live there. Now, this is where the red tape started, getting a straight answer was harder than getting an audience with the Pope.
I had gigs lined up, had to get my rig in order. Make a long story short, I spent over $200 in replacement tubes and $300 in repair labor.

I got into the MTS series in 2006.
I played a bunch of different amps and I never could get the right sounds out of them. It was always a compromise. I got tired of carrying different amps for clean and dirty tones. So...I bought a Randall RM100 and MTS cab loaded with Vintage 30's. I found it to be a great solution to the versatility problem I had encountered and it just sounded good. The stock modules with an overdrive in front simply sound better than the average amp from the manufacturers they intend to mimic. Nothing beats the sound of a good tube amp. I also was impressed by the fact that you can bias your own power tubes and use different power tube types. It will also switch channels via Midi!!! SOLD!!!
I can get great tones by pushing up the volume on the modules and tapering in the master volume. I can do a blues gig, then go do a metal gig and play a jazz session with just a couple of module changes and eq tweaks. With my G Major2 patches I can have everything eq'd and tuned to perfection from my midi controller. It's a simpler setup than running a rack preamp, poweramp setup, and effects unit rig. Once I start adding some modded modules to the mix, It will be like Christmas everyday.
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

The features of the line sold me back when the line came out. Money was an issue @ the time & I had a rig that fit the bill. But I just couldn't get the tones I wanted. Now I can get the tones & ability to switch tones through midi is perfect. Besides I still have a ton of mods to still check out.