why do you use EMG's?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put EMGs in the first guitar I bought in College back in the 80's.. as other have posted here I havent found anything quite a s versitile.

EMGs have much more better feedback control and are good in high gain type scenarios. Good passives can match the tone with good winds and alnico 5/ceramic magnets and sound more organic, "bends sound more gradual and full of life"

Have EMG 85/81 sets in my Jackson and King V, and Seymour Duncans and BKPs in my PRS guitars. Im set :D

so I am not misunderstood..
I found that once I was using the Gilmore system that certain combinations of treble boosting, and mid cutting (for example) produced some noise. Not something I liked..because I really got used to basically no noise from my emg85 and 81 ...so by comparison, it IS possible to get a lil hiss going.
..and I went to emgs intially to looseall the noise.
so for me, the DG pickguardwasnt for me.
But many love it.
GtrGeorge

If you like EMGs you all have to try out the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They are very similar to the EMG 80 series. IMHO they sound and feel better. What I like about the Blackouts over the EMGs is that they seem to have a greater dynamic response. What I mean is that when you play lightly the Blackouts clean up more like passive pickups and have a more "natural" sound. With EMGs it seems like they are either silent or blasting with just a little bit of wiggle room to get some different tones.
Get a set of Lace Alumitone Deathbucker pickups and you'll never look back. Passive, massive output, full bandwidth frequency response, and light weight make these a must for at least one of your axes.

Because with my Brown module with the active switch off i have THE eddie dirtyish clean and with it engaged is a gain monster or eddies exact tone. of course

daryl,
I agree that emg's have issues with Dynamics.. off or on, thats about it!!
GtrGeorge

nomad100 said:
i must be one of the few who still get my emg's to clean up with softer pick attack.

Your not alone. It also helps to turn the volume knob down some. Maybe running a mid gainer not cranked, might work as well, instead of high gainer dimed. You know some of these old "tricks" that have served many a guitarist well over the years. :lol:

Nomad,
I think "dynamics" are a personal thing..alot of variations in what we all call dynamics.
I really like emgs for what they are, but fwiw..my passives are always capable of getting way down in the noise floor....maybe they cant get are loud..but within their range they really require a consistant playing technique to make the same level. I find emgs kinda make that very easy..pretty much loud all the time...but there is all kinds of good aspects to that so...it can be a cool thing.
GtrGeorge

I'm not bashing passives at all, i just can't relate to the no dynamics thing. I do run them at 18v not 9v.

Julia said:
What? EMGs? Puh! What about strat singles and P90s? :lol:

They have their place...I have a nice hollowbody Waterstone with Lollar P90s that I could play all day thru my clean mod...Just beautiful....I'm more a tele guy than strat but certainly appreciate both tones....I have a 99 American Strat and a 98 American Tele outfitted with pickups I still can't afford...lol...

EMG's also have their place....Although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting away from them more and more as I age like a fine wine....

careful when you say you don't like EMG's, there more than just the 81! There going to be pickups from every manufacturer you wont like.

nomad100 said:
careful when you say you don't like EMG's, there more than just the 81! There going to be pickups from every manufacturer you wont like.

Good point...The 85/81 combo is just so common but you're right....I've heard some great EMG pickups, especially their bass pickups...What are your faves nomad?

So far i really like the 85in the bridge, it's to bassy for me in the neck. Not sure what i like for the neck pickup the 81 okay.

Zakk Wylde "not so much anymore" and Brad Noah "original guitarist of disciple" are my favorite guitarist. they both use 81 in the bridge of their guitars.

I have have 2 les pauls, Epi Midnight les paul with dual 81's and an epi zakk wylde with the passive h4/h4a. I also have a Fadded SG with an 85/81 combo.

I think it's more i don't like ceramic magnet pickups to be honest. I prefer the 85 and the h4a in the bridge of my guitars. IMO the 81 sounds great for a ceramic magnet pickup.

I didn't like the super distortion i had back in the day either.

I watched a you tube video of zakk wylde and Slash playing, Zakk's sound was huge, and slashes sound was weak in comparison!

The active EMG's different i think this is due to pushing around more bass.

Sorry slighlty off topic, but how do you think something like a prail would sound in a gibson SG?

Latest posts