XTC vs Mr Scary

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the XTC you have a Carvin Legacy tone
With teh Mr. Scary you have a Soldano tone.

Take your pick :p The Scary might have better rhythm tones, which for lead alone, the XTC is godly.

I had a Bogner Ecstasy 101b. It was smoking for leads and nice for rhythm but it wasn't really tight for modern stuff. I also owned an SLO and just wish it had more gain at sane volumes. So I opted for the Mr Scary going by the clips and vids I heard. I'll probably get an XTC eventually but for now I have the Mr Scary module. Just wish my RM100KH would get here.

I don't know why people don't like the XTC for rhythms. I think it's great for rhythm AND lead.

Compared to a Scary, the XTC is bassier. However, the Scary has that killer raw, clear growl. I prefer the Scary, but they'd both be great for 80s stuff.

6stringgrind said:
I don't know why people don't like the XTC for rhythms. I think it's great for rhythm AND lead.

Compared to a Scary, the XTC is bassier. However, the Scary has that killer raw, clear growl. I prefer the Scary, but they'd both be great for 80s stuff.

It's not that I think it's bad. It's one of the best amps I've owned. Just for some things I'd rather have a tighter tone.

yngzaklynch said:
6stringgrind said:

It's not that I think it's bad. It's one of the best amps I've owned. Just for some things I'd rather have a tighter tone.

Don't compare your real XTC to the module, they are different. I had to mod a LOT on mine to get it close. The module is thicker, less clarity, and has a lot more treble than a real one.

A stock xtc is a nice module, but it's not close to the real deal. For 80s stuff both modules would do well, but stock vs stock I'd give the edge to the scary.

Pete

Get the Mr Scary and an XTC, send them to Pete, and you will be in tone heaven!!!!

The Scary has that gnarly growl, the XTC has more liquid tone.

I agree with that growl . I just put 2 tung sols in Scary tonite and man it rips.
like it better than both my Egnater Eg5 and eg4.

It does not sound like any of the other mods imo..Just one big badass crunch.I hear a lot of different amp tones in there
Splawn, Soldano, Cameron from the clips I have heard ,early VH.

I would choose the Mr. Scary over the XTC anyday of the week, but its all in personal prefference. I have owned 3 XTC modules, 2 of them modded by Pete and one stock. I just like the "Grainy/Gritty" crunch the Mr. Scary gives. For what music I play it suits it perfectly. Mostly 80's metal with a little older and newer stuff but the most part Hair metal. My Scary is modded and gives it a better "voice" in my opinion.
But like old Eddie said in a interview...."Trying to describe the tone in my head is like trying to describe the color blue to a blind man." 8)

**NOTE** "Smiley is wearing shades to be cool not because he is blind"

gtr31 said:
I agree with that growl . I just put 2 tung sols in Scary tonite and man it rips.
like it better than both my Egnater Eg5 and eg4.

It does not sound like any of the other mods imo..Just one big badass crunch.I hear a lot of different amp tones in there
Splawn, Soldano, Cameron from the clips I have heard ,early VH.

I completely agree, my Mr. Scary modded by Pete spanks the Egnater EG5 :!:

I use the Scary for my main rhythm tone and the XTC for lead.... just personal preference, both modules are very good, you just have to try them and pick your favorite.

That's the good/bad thing about the MTS series.......good= lots of unque sounding modules to chose from, bad......it's hard on the pocket book when you are gassing.

The XTC is too smooth to my ears for 80's metal.

The Mr. Scary really is more right for what you're seeking.