You guys are going to love this

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a few thoughts:
digital DI guitar sounds have no problem "cutting" through the mix, in fact that's there problem, they cut right through in a very harsh way. No if you're playing in a band where the guitar is just part of a team for the tune than no one may care. But Hard rock/metal guitar oriented music just sounds awful with di guitar (disclaimer: have yet to hear axe fx)

JCM 900 overrated? People generally HATE that amp! Maybe you meant 800?

crankyrayhanky said:
JCM 900 overrated? People generally HATE that amp! Maybe you meant 800?

I agree. The 900 just didn't have the same sound as the 800.

I'm one of the few who liked the 900 >> The JVM was too muffled and scooped, Valvestate, while nice was a little boxy and one-dimensional, but it was my third favorite with the 800 falling in second.

Hamner...
I assume you were talking to me (you mentioned video..)
I dont use a BBE at all. Its just me my Rm4 and my rt 2/50 into a G major out live. Nothing to crazy...in terms of complexity. I have gone that route, but these days I am not.
Thanks for the compliments on tone.
In that clip the clean sound is a Blackface module the dirt is a Treadplate, with the simple cap mod that everybody does (I think Randall now ships them with that mod in them now).

I think its a greatr tone..I have tried so much out live..modeling...combo amps..etc etc

The proof is in the pudding. Anyone wondering should give it a listen.
And notice..my mix is fine..I wasnt STUPID LOUD...I just had tone for days, thats all.
GtrGeorge

There is a Marshall AVT 275 at Guitar Works Crossiron Mills Mall... It's been in the guitar room for over a year.. I tried out a Les Paul Axcess there with that amp and it just rips... everything a guy needs to gig... it sounds great for an amp thats not tube.

Now from the clips I would agree the VS sounds the best
but what am I listening too?

If I was recording, and for instance I grabbed that 900,
I would NOT put THAT sound on a track
I'd grab the eq by the balls and dial it to taste

So the VS sounds the best with the controls at noon

...looking at my RM4, no modules have their controls set at 12 o'clock
I all set them to personal preference

I have tried too many amps, cabs, and processors over the years and the conclusion that I have come to is: There is a lot of really cool sh#t out there that does a lot of different things and it's all good. Of course there is garbage out there, but most of the time you can dial in a pretty decent sound out of almost anything. Don't get me wrong, you won't be able to get a juicy Marshall lead tone out of a 15w Gorilla amp, but you might be able to wring some kind of cool out of it with a little tweaking. Taste is subjective and many times at a gig your audience will not even pick up on the subtle nuances that only a musicians ear will hone in on. I played a couple of gigs years ago with a Boss GT-6 and a Roland JC-120 and got compliments on my tone. I didn't particularly love the sound, but it got the job done. Frankly I thought the tone sucked. Eddie Van Halen on a Valvestate would still probably sound like Eddie. Steve Vai on a Crate would sound like Steve. Not that I am on par with these guys, but it illustrates the point. You can work with almost anything. If you like the sound, then it's good. Don't let hype and insecurity take the fun out of being a musician. If you got it, Rock it. The main thing is entertaining your audience. If they are having fun and you are bringing them an experience, then you are the life of the party. That's how you get leid y'all! :lol:
Have fun. Peace. :shock: :twisted: :shock:

Daryl said:
The main thing is entertaining your audience. If they are having fun and you are bringing them an experience, then you are the life of the party. That's how you get leid y'all! :lol:
Have fun. Peace. :shock: :twisted: :shock:

getting laid I remember those days... It was a long time ago in a far off land, before marriage & kids. Ah those were the days. :lol:

Just from reading the first post, I'm not too surprised the VS100 sounded good enough to be picked #1. I have the VS100 head, and it sounds **** good considering what it is.

About the Randall amp Lynch used in the early 80's, there is a pawn shop near me that has an RG-80 combo that is literally collecting dust . . . maybe one day I'll snag it just to bust out some Tooth and Nail jams. :)

should try that jcm 800 with a bodd sd-1 and see how the results are effected, also how high was the gain on the JVM? I found lower gain works better on those amps to avoid the fizz

I am not surprised at all. The valvestate is a really nice piece, especially played through a good cab instead of the stock valvestate cab.

I got not very much time but I think next week I'll go with some blind test for you guys, i got and will do:
Lynch box+MR Scary module+randall V30 cab+mic (AKG214)
Lynch box+MR Scary module+Torpedo PI-free speaker sim plugin
Lynch box+MR Scary module+Palmer the junction
Overloud TH2 lynch box/mr scary setting+Redwirez Mesa V30 - AKG 414 cab impulse

unfortunately I cant do it all with the exact same cab+mic setup...

To be continued ;)