Your nemesis in MTS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use an external attenuator or London Power Scaling (drops output section's B+ while leaving heater voltage up).

Ya'll should consider using the Two Notes Torpedo's tube power amp models with MTS! They sound great and allow tube power amp color at any volume, as well as world-class convolution cab/speaker/mic sims and 5 band EQ, all under full MIDI control.

Imagine if going DI'd, Celestion Blues in a open 2X12 and EL-84's with your Vox module, various Celestion Greenbacks in a closed 4X12 with EL-34's for your Marshall modules, various open back Jensens with 6L6's with your Fender modules etc.

If using a cab then at least you can have the correct power amp tube models with any amount of powr amp color/clipping available at any volume.

I've used this with my custom 50W RM-2 since it came out, works great!

http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-cab/

Jacksauce said:
Is there a way to scale down the power section of the RM100?

My rig only complaint is the back breaking weight of the whole thing. I use an RT2/50 and RM4 with a mix of stock and modded modules. I have no complaints on organic-ness or feel or anything. Gig level or basement practice while the kids are sleeping level. My rig is perfect and I would take it over a multitude of other amps including Diezel and Mesa. I just wish that my rack didn't weigh a friggen metric ton!

Use a Two Notes Torpedo and a lightweight solid state power amp to lose the weight.

My rig includes the custom RM-2 and a Axe FX Ultra, can sound like anything DI'd and/or through cabs (FRFR and/or guitar cabs), and weighs all of 30lbs in a 4U rolling rack.

When you remove the tube power amp from the equation via the Two Notes Torpedo you lose the volume limitations and the weight (i.e. you can hammer the Torpedo's modeled tube power amp sims at any volume).

kurtisqpublic said:
My rig only complaint is the back breaking weight of the whole thing. I use an RT2/50 and RM4 with a mix of stock and modded modules. I have no complaints on organic-ness or feel or anything. Gig level or basement practice while the kids are sleeping level. My rig is perfect and I would take it over a multitude of other amps including Diezel and Mesa. I just wish that my rack didn't weigh a friggen metric ton!

That's why I broke mine up into separate 4 place "short" Gator cases. The RT2/50 in one, RM4 another, effects another, etc. The full rig is RM4, RT2/50,
2- 2x12" Cabs with Vintage 30s, 2- 4x10" Cabs with 10" Jensens (all 4 cabs are open back. Sometimes I use an Eventide space, sometimes a Kendrick (Fender clone) stand alone tube reverb, etc. All depends on the gig. Most of the time it's the RM50.

blacksun said:
Jaded Faith said:
...From experience, I'll tell you Salvation mods tend to have much more saturation and bandwidth limiting throughout than my work does. SG's work tends to use bandwidth limiting, particularly at the output. Dave F tends to drive stages hard, limit between them and use particular parts for lower noise in particular applications...

This is very interesting! Could you expand upon this even further Rob?
By limiting saturation, do you mean reducing the signal amplitude before going into a specific gainstage or is the limiting within the tube gainstage itself?

With bandwith limiting, do you mean cutting out frequencies in some sort of way? Is this also done in the 12ax7 stages?

I'm not sure what this explanation means, but I find that the salvation mods are more open and less saturated and vintage sounding in the vintage or rock style mods than the JF mods of the same ilk. I'm probably misunderstanding what Rob is saying, but that has been my experience. I found the Jaded mods more saturated and tweaked tonally beyond the original circuit that I had known. Could be why the JF fans love their mods so much?

that said, my problem with MTS is only the power amp end of things. I use the more vintage rock type mods, hiwatt, vox, orange, un-modded marshall, etc.. so I hope to have one of my vintage heads modded with a loop and bias points to allow me to use the mid 60's beast with my mods and 4CM. Plenty of flavors of preamps all over the place from the 3 or 4 active modders, 5 if you count Bruce

My nemesis is Living so far away from ground zero when it comes to mods and amps.
Shipping can be crippling at times.

The volume and squeal thing definitely sucks but
I hate that on my RM100 I have to have the amp
Volume up around 12:00 for the fx loop to work
Properly, and unless I'm killing the neighbors I
Can't turn the module volume up past 9:00 and
Modules like to be driven. Maybe time to run a
Variac or try my hot plate, I think I would get more
consistent volume across the board as well.

tjames said:
The volume and squeal thing definitely sucks but
I hate that on my RM100 I have to have the amp
Volume up around 12:00 for the fx loop to work
Properly, and unless I'm killing the neighbors I
Can't turn the module volume up past 9:00 and
Modules like to be driven. Maybe time to run a
Variac or try my hot plate, I think I would get more
consistent volume across the board as well.

If the "squeal thing" you're talking about is feedback when you switch to a high gain module from a clean module.... Try using the volume control on your guitar ;) It's there for a reason. Unfortunately it's usually wired wrong on most guitars, but... There's your answer.

suphuckers said:
If the "squeal thing" you're talking about is feedback when you switch to a high gain module from a clean module.... Try using the volume control on your guitar ;) It's there for a reason. Unfortunately it's usually wired wrong on most guitars, but... There's your answer.

Interesting concept. Yea, I'm sure that's why it squeels... :roll:

MarcoR said:
suphuckers said:

ya know this is what I always get when I try to help people. Some jerk rolling his eyes. :roll: Maybe I'll never learn my lesson.

Marco, What's your suggestion? Maybe let the pig out of your head? Yeah that's probably a better solution. I bet you don't even have a clue how to properly wire a guitar :?

tjames, If you wanna talk about volume pots and wiring to reduce feedback without killing your tone, send me a msg.

Marco, If you wanna know... Ohh nm that's right you already know everything. lmao

Might sound strange, and maybe owing to me using the M4 into a power amp, but I have never had that ambient squealing problem, at least not in the mts context :)

Usually use only modded modules though, preferably salvations take on sundry fender amps. Using mostly dual ch mods I have 8 channels in one M4 and I manage to balance them all up with also the high gain modules having their individual volume pots at least past noon.

blacksun said:
Might sound strange, and maybe owing to me using the M4 into a power amp, but I have never had that ambient squealing problem, at least not in the mts context :)

Usually use only modded modules though, preferably salvations take on sundry fender amps. Using mostly dual ch mods I have 8 channels in one M4 and I manage to balance them all up with also the high gain modules having their individual volume pots at least past noon.

I don't have any noise issues either...But stick a boost in front of a high gainer and crank the gain and you've got squeal...I think that is the problem here in many cases, simply pushing too much gain...Just a hunch...

FWIW, I get mine set to just below the squeal and lower the gain a touch...Then my ISP Decimator takes care of anything else...

suphuckers said:
MarcoR said:
suphuckers said:

ya know this is what I always get when I try to help people. Some jerk rolling his eyes. :roll: Maybe I'll never learn my lesson.

Marco, What's your suggestion? Maybe let the pig out of your head? Yeah that's probably a better solution. I bet you don't even have a clue how to properly wire a guitar :?

tjames, If you wanna talk about volume pots and wiring to reduce feedback without killing your tone, send me a msg.

Marco, If you wanna know... Ohh nm that's right you already know everything. lmao

Hi suphuckers! Welcome to the forum! :D
I'm sorry I came across as a know it all to you but your comment had me scratching my head as I was confused how you deduced that his squealing problems was because he doesn?t know how to use his volume control or his guitar is wired wrong without knowing anything about his rig, guitar or him?

We?re very happy to have you on this forum and appreciate anyone with helpful suggestions and experience but before you call me a ?know it all?? maybe you should think your responses through a little more or you may come across as a know it all. :wink:

Well Marco maybe I didn't phrase my post right, (to your standards) but... and I was typing out a buncha' other stuff, but I'm done bickering with you.... waste of time. This is why I avoid these places. I really don't care if yours or anyone elses amp squeals. squeal til your hearts desire.

To track down a squealing problem what I have always done is, first, make the guitar squeal. Then, with your finger tip, start putting pressure on various places on the guitar. The most common is metal covers on humbucking pick-ups. Then, the bridge, pick-guard, even a loose truss rod can do it. Then try the control knobs, any back covers, etc. Rotate the position of the guitar.
If you have a combo style amp, sometimes the on board reverb tank can
cause feedback, one of the reasons I converted my RM50 combo to a separate head. Plug in with a long cord and move away from the amp and see how far you have to go to make the squeal stop. If it doesn't stop at any distance, then the amp itself is breaking into oscillation which means something in the circuit is resonating at that frequency and self regenerating it. See my post on saturation and bandwidth.

suphuckers said:
Well Marco maybe I didn't phrase my post right, (to your standards) but... and I was typing out a buncha' other stuff, but I'm done bickering with you.... waste of time. This is why I avoid these places. I really don't care if yours or anyone elses amp squeals. squeal til your hearts desire.

You have a crap attitude and apparently no trouble shooting skills to speak of. We'll sure miss you.

All or most of the forum members here are always very helpfull and friendly but for me when you suggested turning down the guitar volume with the comment " that's what it's there for" you implied he is a dumbass that doesn't know how to use the simple concept of a volume control. I suspect that is not how it was meant to sound and the wiring is the problem, but it came across that way. Hopefully this can reset the bad start and welcome to the forum.

Latest posts