Ok to use KTxx tubes in Egnater MOD amps?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
Quick question... is it safe to use KT66, KT77, KT88 tubes in Egnater modular amps (particularly a MOD50)? If so, anybody know what the bias range should be?

Thanks!
--B

Yes, you can.
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/images/stories/manuals/RM50%20Manual.pdf
KT66 is similar to 6L6GC
KT88 same as 6550.

Quick, somebody throw in a set of KT120 valves and tell us the results (after they recovered from hearing loss ofcourse)

Nightdare said:
Quick, somebody throw in a set of KT120 valves and tell us the results (after they recovered from hearing loss ofcourse)
Might as well buy a radio station's amp setup!

BTW: those would probably be way too flat, would probably be closer to transistor than the powertube goodness we love.
On the other hand ... metal ubertightness!

With all due respect, "if it's too loud you're too old" now seems to be
"if you're too young it's too loud."

I have put KT88s in my lynchbox with no problems. Great tubes for note clarity, dynamics and punch....

chacal said:
I have put KT88s in my lynchbox with no problems. Great tubes for note clarity, dynamics and punch....
+1

I was not aware KT88s were compatible. I'm ordering a quad today and they're going in the RM100. By far my favorite tube for MTS.

Will the RT2/50 accept KT88s as well? After this news, I'm assuming it will. If so, it might not end up for sale after all.

EDITED TO ASK: What's the bias range on KT88s? Anyone?

When using KT88s or 6550s, both of which have a metal base,
you will have to remove the tube retaining clip. Be sure to put the screws back in place. They hold the sockets to the chassis.

kc2eeb said:
When using KT88s or 6550s, both of which have a metal base,
you will have to remove the tube retaining clip. Be sure to put the screws back in place. They hold the sockets to the chassis.
Advice of a sage. Thanks. Biasing advise?

Thanks for the kind words.
Biasing is same as 6550s and could probably go a little more, 35 to 45ma.
They're designed for up to 800 volts on the plates. The RM100 is about 510 volts.

kc2eeb said:
They're designed for up to 800 volts on the plates. The RM100 is about 510 volts.
Kc2eeb, do you know the plate voltage of an RM50? I run KT66's in mine and they sound amazing but am wondering if 35ma is correct..... Have a good holiday

Rod said:
kc2eeb said:
Kc2eeb, do you know the plate voltage of an RM50? I run KT66's in mine and they sound amazing but am wondering if 35ma is correct..... Have a good holiday

I've measured mine anywhere from 510 to 525 volts depending on the day.

KT66s I'd treat more like 6L6s so 35ma should be OK as long as you don't "red plate," which should not be an issue.

So do I.

Concerning the RT2/50 I am nut sure there is enough space to put KT88s on it, these are big. Plus indeed you have to get the retainers off, and since the tubes are mounted horizontally it may be troublesome...

Latest posts