RM100 Issues

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Reaction score
So I was using my RM100 at practice and something weird started happening.

The amp started cutting in and out of volume for no apparent reason. Mainly the higher I turned the volume the more frequent the cutting out started to sound. Almost like someone pressing a killswitch on and off. Then when I stopped playing after I noticed the volume problem I got a lot of feedback. Turning the master or level down on the module helped but obviously that's no good if you're practicing.

I'm going to try some different power tubes in it and hopefully that helps the problem but I'm thinking it might be a bad preamp tube.

Also, the volume cutting out problem happened on all the modules so I'm sure it's the amp. I reseated all the preamp/poweramp tubes but that didn't help.

Any advice? :?:

Ah yes, I totally forgot about that. I've seen that as a solution on this board in the past; I'll give it a go.

Also that's awesome man! Glad you still enjoy it. :)

Deoxit, red can at radio shack. If the tubes are good try this in all the inputs including the loops. Worked for me in 3 different amps. One time it was the loop but that time there was no sound at all. The other 2 were intermittent volume issues. Took two tries on the loop issue and a old vox had to hit it twice so far.

Also, if your RM100 is a "newer" model but you are using some older, siler-faced modules, there can be some issues with the modules fitting correctly. That can lead to intermittent signal issues.

yeah I don't think that was the problem only because the black face modules were also having problems. I'm able to crank the thing today and I cleaned the loop jacks with tuner cleaner so we'll see if that worked.

This same thing happened to me and I ran around in circles for days trying out different solutions until i discovered that my speaker wire had fried.

So now I'm having really bad amp hum/feedback. It's not my pedals as I tried playing straight into the amp and using my decimator in front did nothing even turned all the way up. I put the decimator in the loop and that fixed it. Does that sound like a microphonic preamp tube?

kylendm said:
So I was using my RM100 at practice and something weird started happening.

The amp started cutting in and out of volume for no apparent reason. Mainly the higher I turned the volume the more frequent the cutting out started to sound. Almost like someone pressing a killswitch on and off. Then when I stopped playing after I noticed the volume problem I got a lot of feedback. Turning the master or level down on the module helped but obviously that's no good if you're practicing.

I'm going to try some different power tubes in it and hopefully that helps the problem but I'm thinking it might be a bad preamp tube.

Also, the volume cutting out problem happened on all the modules so I'm sure it's the amp. I reseated all the preamp/poweramp tubes but that didn't help.

Any advice? :?:

I had this on one of my RM100's thought it was the loop jacks but no it was the preamp tubes (can't remember which one). I replaced them and bingo working amp!

To test this issue gently tap the preamp tubes (with the metal covers off) and any one that you tap and can hear the tapping throught the amp is gubbed!

Swap in some Ruby AC5 HG (or HG+) job done :)

Latest posts