Something Wicked has arrived!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
AvadaKedavraout.jpg

AvadaKedavrain.jpg

The Avada Kedavra is an Ultra module modified by Jaded Faith.
Rob has replaced nearly every component on the board including
the tone stack. The sound is still in the Ultra family, just better and cleaner in every way.
It has a 3-way switch to access the three modes:
Down=Normal
Mid= Mid Scoop
Up=Input Boost
It also has a pot that controls the mid range frequency.
The range is from 300Hz to 700Hz.
With just the 3-way switch and the frequency knob I can
dial in a sound that works best with each guitar that I have.

The face plate was made for me by SacredGroove.
Harry Potter fans will notice The Dark Mark,
The sign of the Deathly Hallows and the fact that all
of the knob levels go to 9 3/4 instead of 10.

The audio demos can be heard HERE.

http://www.soundclick.com/jacenuzback
Look for files named Avada.
It's just some random riffing in drop D.
There's a very short break between each part.

The demo starts out with the module setup as I last played it.
Only the switch position is changed between Part 1-3.
Next I dialed in a heavy tone for my Gibson Burst Buckers.
In parts 4-6 I only change the frequency position of the pot
going to increasingly higher mid frequencies.

Part 1-Normal mode
Part 2-Mid Scoop
Part 3-Boost
Part 4-Normal Dialed
Part 5-Normal Mid Freq.
Part 6 Normal Hi Mid Freq.

The module has a JJ83 in VI and a Mesa in V2.
Randall RM-50 combo w stock G-12T75 and 6L6 Ruby Tubes.
Randall RM-50 combo w stock G-12T75 and EL34 Electro Harmonix Tubes.
Shure SM57, UA-610 Preamp, Mbox3, Pro Tools 9.
Gibson Burstbucker Pro Pickups

He's got clips! :wink:

It looks and sounds pretty wicked. Nice mod and great work, Rob.

Mattfig said:
Oooops...Just noticed clips...Cool! Sounds great especially thru 6L6s!

I was thinking I liked it better through the EL34s. Tone is a magical thing.

The more I listen to the clips, the more evident it is that the iso box sounds like a 6 inch speaker...Maybe it's because I read so much about it...I guess the question is, does it sound favorable thru the iso box? Maybe it mixes well with other standard 12 inch mic'd cabs? You still liking it Jace?

You know, I haven't done much with it other then lay down a few quick clips. I haven't heard it in a mix or anything. But listening side by side, that SM57 on the 12" sounds a lot better. We'll see.

Very cool sounds. It makes me even more excited to send out my modules to Rob. Sadly I can only afford one at a time.

I definitely can tell the difference with the axetrak and the 12". However the axetrak seems to already have some of the standard bandwidth filtering going on. It is definitely designed for recording, that's for sure.

I've been looking into getting an isobox of some sort my self. The Grendel Dead Room used to be top on my list, but the website seems to be untouched for like 2 years. I know Randall and Madison both make a v30 loaded one with the only significant differences being the mic attachments. Jet City also just released one, but they have an OEM speaker in it. Granted it is made by Eminence so it probably doesn't suck. I'd rather have a choice, or a better description of its sound than "the standard Jet City 12" driver". If it is the same or a similar driver that Soldano uses it probably sounds awesome. I love the Soldano Eminence speakers.

I was thinking that same thing myself regarding the Isobox. I have purposely recorded amps through small/odd speaker sizes for recorded effect and it struck me as some of that same thing going on. I can see where it would suit a purpose and sit in a particular mix for sure.

I played that module quite a bit tuning it through V30's, T75's and K100's and it sounded a good bit different from these recorded clips. But that is to be expected of course.

Wow, I have to say, the other clips sound awesome, but the Axetrack definitly sucks a lot of depth out of the sound.
(depth, width, fidelity, whatever you want to call it)
Maybe it's also a matter of placing the mic differently.. I don't know..

Awesome concept by the way, the HP idea ;)

YES !!! love the new look especially the lines and the green. Sounds $uckin cool too, very clean with excellent definition.

Which mid voice setting are you on?

Can the mids sound more classic Marshall like the Plexi or JCM?800

For my money the bottom is perfect and the highs are some of the best I've heard from any MTS preamp. If I could dial in the mids like I want them I would take avery serious look at having this mod done.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

khingpynn said:
YES !!! love the new look especially the lines and the green. Sounds $uckin cool too, very clean with excellent definition.

Which mid voice setting are you on?

Can the mids sound more classic Marshall like the Plexi or JCM?800

For my money the bottom is perfect and the highs are some of the best I've heard from any MTS preamp. If I could dial in the mids like I want them I would take avery serious look at having this mod done.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Glad to hear you like it!

The mids can certainly do the classic Marshall tone. The sweep feature was designed for the new Krank Stein mod I am offering and the mid switch is an add on option that gives insane flexibility to the module.

If you set the sweep around noon and set the mid switch to the normal setting (his is a 3-way with cut/normal/boost) you are in the classic Marshall mid voicing. If the mid switch wasn't there I typically voice them in the normal setting unless the player is leaning towards using it for metal.

Latest posts