Help with modules for cover band

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyblues73

Reaction score
Hi I'm a total newb to the world of modules, I just acquired a Mr. Scary and a Brown (I'm a kid of the 80s). I also play in a cover band that was originally just a grunge/90s alt thing, but we've added other songs and genres for specific gigs. So with the SYN-2 I need 2 very flexible modules to cover the standard grunge and jangly 90s alt, plus some 80s stuff like Rebel Yell, Wanted Dead or Alive, Hold On Loosely, as well as a few modern metal songs like Five Finger Death Punch's version of Blue on Black, Korn's version of Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2, Three Doors Down's When I'm Gone. So I need decent cleans on both, a nice low-gain jangly crunch (an Interstate Love Song-type of tone) on one, a classic 80s Marshall tone, and a modern hi-gain tone. I was thinking maybe the DS and Ecstacy, or Powerball and Ecstacy. Can you guys help me out?

The BB channel of the Friedman BB/BE has some amazing cleans. That might be where you should look. You also get the BE channel. This should give you a range of options in the 80s genre.

I'm not that familiar with Friedman, so how does that one compare to the DS? I had a hard time really telling a difference between the two at least from Youtube vids. The BB/BE and DS seemed to cover a lot of the same territory.

My cover band did everything from the Beatles to Tool with a bunch of 80's and 90's stuff. I gigged with my Mod 50 with the VX and SL modules. When I shifted to just a GSP1101 (modeler) straight into the board most of my presets were based on a Plexi.

With a Syn-2 I would think the BB/BE and Plexi or 800 modules would get you everything you need. The BE channel should get close to your Brown module and the BB has great cleans and takes pedals as well. An alternative would be the Vai module which the clean channel is based on the BMAN clean.

Here is a link to my old band if you need reference.
https://youtu.be/xVA9xkd0UE0

I'd probably consider the Morgan AC and Bogner Ecstasy for what you are describing everything from killer cleans to hot rodded Marshall.

An alternate might be a BMan and Slo.