Need Module advice for cover band...need the experts on this

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stm113

Reaction score
I have several MTS modules but I need the expert advice here. I am not going to say what modules I have in fear that some one may suggest keeping what I have cuz it'll do. I'd rather hear what every one thinks will get me the closest.

I am going to play with a cover band in my area that play "for cover bands" high profile shows and draws large crowds. I do currently have the RM100 head but I am thinking about changing out to the pre amp version so I can have 4 modules. I'll be playing with a set up including a Boss GT-Pro rack, ISP Decimator, and MXR 10 Band EQ. I will alsp be in a 6L6 power section which ever I go with

I'm thinkning I am going to need 3 gain mods and 1 clean one.

Clean wise I dont like the blackface... too much gain and way too dark for my taste. I want warm but clean, good mids (i can always add a boost for dirt if i need)

Gain wise i need 3 modules, something that will help me capture that hot rodded 70's/80's Marshall Tones, I also need something to help me grab the tones of my 5150 and something more modern (BUT NOT MESA sounding)

I'm not above buying something and having them Modded to get what I need. So what do the experts think?

I'm not sure how one becomes an expert, but I've played lots of modules and spent lots of $- stock and modded by all the popular pros here.

Clean choice seems like you're describing a stock KH1. GigBlackface is outstanding, it is not as dark as the stock....if you want brighter/chimier, look over at the SuperV, but I never thought the stock V had enough girth. Perhaps a lower gain pre-tube will do the trick on your current BFace? Or do you need to do the clean mod? Older BFaces need to get this done.

70s 80s Marshall tones can be had with a newer stock SL+ - new ones have the 800 tone stack. Jaded Faith Plexi with a high gain switch is also a good choice here, it has much more gain than any of the 8 Plexis I've had before. I haven't heard the new Salvo Mash All, but after trying several of his mods I'm confident the MashAll will also be an excellent selection. The Gigimods SL+ has been a personal top module of mine for a few years now, tight switch is excellent to help you in different size stages, speaker cabs, tight crunch vs fat leads, etc. Yes, I love the GigiSL+ especially with a clean boost.

5150 I never played, but I read here that the Ultra XL is the closest. I had a JF Ultra XL with mid switches and I think that would deliver the goods.

As for "something more modern (BUT NOT MESA sounding)", you may need to narrow that down a bit. Framus Crunch for rhythms? Salvo Mamba (love it!). Hi Gain dry? GigiKH3 or Salvo Benzin.

Lead specialty module would do well in the 4th slot, I prescribe a GigiMark. Actually, many of Gigmods have a superior thickness in the lead tone with lots of sustain.

Just my 3 cents

I've played covers with my RM100
-For clean - I've only ever used a Blackface so I'm not sure what to recommend. Maybe SuperV if you want more chime. If not, then maybe look at modding a Blackface to make it brighter.
-70's/80's Marshall: I used my Friedman Brown Eye Brahma. At home I thought it needed more gain. With the amp cranked at gigs, it needed nothing. Green Day type crunch was peeling from this module with the gain dimed. You can always add a boost pedal to get more dirt. With a boost, you can get any plexi based module to do Zakk Wylde, GnR, 80's rock without breaking a sweat. A SL+ on a lower gain setting would suffice as well. Modules that will cover this ground, Friedman Hairy Brown Eye, Gigmods Plexi, Brown, Salvation MashAll.
- Heavier tones, a modded Ultra XL will get you close to your 5150 (Check out Pete's clips on Youtube). I've used my Egnater SL++, Gigmods XTC, Salvation Xtacy and Salvation Benzin for my heavier tones at different gigs. All have done the job I needed. I stock XTC will not suffice, but the tighter sound of the modded XTC'***** the target for me for leads as well as heavier rythum tones. The Salvation Benzin on the Ch4+ mode is a great modern sound, but may be too similar to a Recto for your liking. It is not a Recto module, but I keep having an urge to play Metallica when I have it in this mode. A Mr Scary / SLO type module would also cut rather well in a live situation.

In my opinion, to have a 5150 type tone and then another modern sounding tone is overkill. The average punters do not analyse tone like we do. The want to hear the songs, and are not there to analyse the guitar sound (besides knowing if it sounds good overall or bad). If the 4th module is a lead specific module, then that is a different story.

If you use your RM100, I'd be thinking a clean module, modded Plexi type, modded Ultra XL, with a boost pedal (extra dirt) and your EQ (solo boost). The other way to run this is to have SL+ / Mr Scary / modded XTC instead of Ultra XL and use your EQ pedal to get your heavier tone from the module. Use your boost for a solo boost.
If you go for the RM4, then clean module (not sure), plexi (low gain marshall), SL++ or Mr Scary (mid / high gain marshall), Gigmods Ultra XL. With those modules and a boost pedal and EQ, you should be able to do any gig.

There are so many options of how to run a rig in this situation. If you have a decent tone from your rig already, then your playing will be what shines and impresses the sound guy or other band instead of your tone. I don't think I've ever walked into a gig and said to myself "That guitarist has great tone, pity their playing doesn't match up!". A great player will make any amp sound great. I've heard a clip of a guitarist doing a clinic here in Australia with Hollowbody guitar and a RAT pedal into a clean amp. He played a snippet from "One Step Closer" and his tone put Linkin Park to shame. I wouldn't be too concerned about having the identical tone to the songs and get in the general ballpark. I'd also be looking at the clarity of the module over the heaviness of the sound from it. You want to cut through the mix and not sound like a fly buzzing around on stage. Either way, I hope the gig goes well for you.
Cheers

stm113 said:
I am not going to say what modules I have in fear that some one may suggest keeping what I have cuz it'll do.

I really am not trying to be a d!ck here but your modules are in your sig and if you wanted to keep it as simple as possible, what you have will do. :lol:

If you want to mix it up a bit and since you mentioned not needing the Recto thing, move the Treadplate for a newer stock SL+ or pick up some other modded Marshall module. Swapping a 12AT7 or even a 5751 into the V1 spot of the Blackface will clean it up a bit too.

I'm in a cover with the Lynchbox combo. I use the Tweed for clean - I dial it to clean with my guitar volume knob. If i want a little dirt i dime the volume knob. SRV tone - I engage the Bad Monkey with Level dimed and gain at zero.

i use the same technique with the SL+ for my distortion sound. It's the sound I've been chasing in my head for years.

This gives me about a half dozen different tones - all at the stomp of a footswicth or rolling the volume knob up and down.

I am in a cover band as well and I use a Lynch Box. Currently I have a 1086, Mr. Scary and Super V. The Super V is great for cleans and will dirty up some if you use your volume knob. I use my volume know quite a bit as well. I do have a Cusack Screamer in front I can drop in if I want just a little extra. We do everything from Hendrix, Three Doors Down, Poison, Puddle of Mudd to the Killers.

but I use a Salvation Stonerverb, Gigmods Plexi/Brown and a Gigmods KH3 to cover classic rock to modern stuff, including drop tunings. If I had a 4th channel I'd have the Gigmods Recto in it as that's what I rotate in the most.

The nice thing about the Stonerverb and Pete Plexi is their range of gain from nearly clean to heavy. Pete's extra tone range on the Plexi, KH3 and Recto come in handy too.

I used an RM4 rack for years at my job in a full time cover band. The trick for me was getting 4 modules that sounded right together with my power amp and speaker set up. I was going for a smooth transition from chimey clean to low gain to high gain without any crazy frequency spikes or losses. As a result I ended up with mostly modded modules with a Marshall or Vox voicing and the rig sounded great. When I was approaching the module format in the hopes of getting four distinctly different tones I was always compromising somewhere. When I approached it as putting together a preamp/power amp combo that sounded more like a 4 channel head it was much easier.

The only strong suggestion I can make is to not compromise on the power amp or speakers. I had many power amps (Randall, Marshall, Mesa, VHT, Peavey) and the best for me was the VHT 2/50/2 with EL34s. Hands down. I like Marshall tones so I also went with Greenback speakers. As a result, I obviously had better results working with the Marshall or Vox style modules and had to work much harder to get the specific tones I needed from Fender or Mesa style modules.

Good luck.

I also meant to mention I used a Keeley modded Sparkle Drive in front of my RM4 for a tiny bit of gain boost. It was effectively like having four tones with 2 stages of gain each.

stm113 said:
I have several MTS modules but I need the expert advice here. I am not going to say what modules I have in fear that some one may suggest keeping what I have cuz it'll do. I'd rather hear what every one thinks will get me the closest.

I am going to play with a cover band in my area that play "for cover bands" high profile shows and draws large crowds. I do currently have the RM100 head but I am thinking about changing out to the pre amp version so I can have 4 modules. I'll be playing with a set up including a Boss GT-Pro rack, ISP Decimator, and MXR 10 Band EQ. I will alsp be in a 6L6 power section which ever I go with

I'm thinkning I am going to need 3 gain mods and 1 clean one.

Clean wise I dont like the blackface... too much gain and way too dark for my taste. I want warm but clean, good mids (i can always add a boost for dirt if i need)

Gain wise i need 3 modules, something that will help me capture that hot rodded 70's/80's Marshall Tones, I also need something to help me grab the tones of my 5150 and something more modern (BUT NOT MESA sounding)

I'm not above buying something and having them Modded to get what I need. So what do the experts think?
Not sure what you mean about the Blackface being dark, I found it to be very bright, and the bright switch is INSANE! Of course, that was with a Ceramic pickup. With my Duncan JB, it's all good now :). Try some Tung Sol tubes in there and a 5751 in the V2 o the module to see if that doesn't help with the tone and gain (Tung Sols are lower gain than JJ's and the 5751 will decrease the gain from the second and third gain stages in the module by 30%). When in doubt, try out the Super V :)

Hot rodded Marshall tones can be covered by a Brahma. It's basically a vintage Plexi with a tube screamer already in front of it :D If you want more gain, a Plexi is right up your alley.

The best 5150 tone out of a stock module is the Ultra XL. And it covers both 5150 and ultra-modern (which happens to be a 5150 for most :lol: )

A non-mesa sounding modern high gain module would be Mr. Scary or KH-3, or maybe just boost your UXL with a Tube Screamer.

Definitely put a 5751 in the PI of the RM100 if you wanna try to tame the gain of the Blackface more while making the gain modules sound AMAZING. Use only NOS 5751's though, no Sovtek crap ;)

If you want some modded modules for something that's more modern, a Gigmods XTC or Salvation Custom 3 might be up your alley.

IMO. I use only three modules at gigs. Blackface, Ultra XL for leads, and the 1086 hits the nail with anything. If I had to add a 4th module, it would be Grail. The 1086 imo does everything you could want to do. But I don't go for a certain tone, I go for my own tone. I am not looking to sound like anyone else. Everybody has a different ear in my opinion.

Treat the Blackface like you do a Fender amp.... turn the bass all the way down, turn the mids up to about 3:00 and turn the treble to about noon. Play on your neck pickup or neck and middle if you've got a Strat. Then run the gain around 10:30, and adjust the level so you don't clip your GT-10 Pro. You may even want to add a little post FX loop compression with a GT-10 patch.

I've got a KH1 and the post loop compression IMO is needed, but I use a dbx166xl as my compressor limiter, and a Lexicon MX300. The dbx unit allows me to keep the volume levels pretty constant over the three modules in the LB and not clip the input of the Lexicon unit.

What I'm currently using are: KH1 (this is a permanent one), JTM, and Brahma. All stock. Boosts? Keeley Java Boost, Dano TOD1, and TS808RI.

KH1 + TS808 + Strat + a little reverb = Heaven. And without the TS808 it stays nice and clean and I can bang on the strings without breakup.

JTM never gets a boost

Brahma is great alone, but with the Keeley JB gets a real sweet grind, and add a TS808 or TOD1 for a solo boost.

Latest posts