XTC or Rectified for Alternative Metal?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distortoman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just wondering which of these 2 modules you guys would use/use for Alternative Metal Music (Seether, Shinedown, Staind, etc.)? For those of you who have both of these modules, what are the sonic differences between the two? Which one is better for palm-muting? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Distortoman

No offense, but IMO the best gain-related metal sound you will get (thus far at least) is clearly the 1086. THE best module out there, to date! Check it out! :wink:

I'll echo what the others have said. The 1086 does it all - well!

The Recto and the XTC will do modern chugga, but they will need some "outside influences" (i.e. sonic maximizers or EQ's).

As for differences between the Recto and XTC: the XTC has a lot more sustain and a tighter low end. The Recto is a bit more buzzy, but in a good way. I like them both, but would choose the XTC because it's a great lead module.

The Recto sounds killer for current punk applications.

The Recto is definately better for palm muting. The XTC gives you more clarity with chord definition. pick your poison. I use the recto for chugga chugga and the XTC for lead. By the way the recto seems to sound best with the gain at about 70% when at louder volumes. Dime out the gain on the XTC. IMO

I have not tried the 1086 but i bet it rocks!

I have the XTC but none of the others mentioned in this thread yet so I can't really make a first hand comparison. I do have the Grail on order and I'm thinking I might have to check out the 1086--I've heard positive comments about the 1086--very versatile. As for the Grail, it's supposed to be based on the early rectifiers and I've heard that it's pretty awesome as well and that it does nail the early rectifier sound--this according to Gerry, Lynch's guitar tech.

SacredGroove said:
Treadplate (Recto/Rectified). Treadplate comes stock with all mods documented on this site.

I owned a 1086 twice. Apparently, I didn't learn the first time.

Same here on the 1086..although the 2nd time round convinced me more...I put this down to using both passive pickups more and the Tung Sol tubes (over the JJ ECC83s or the stock EH ax7)..in the end I still sold it :D

hehe I have done this also with the Xtc and plexi. Tried them twice and i guess they weren't my "tone". Never tried the 1086 but it's a bit too modern sounding from the clips i've heard of it.

I'm an outsider looking seriously at adding some Randall to my arsenal...1086 is the best for modern hard rock?

I have 2 of the XTC's a Recto, an Ultra XL, a 1086 and the Blackface I am running them in the pre-amp along with a Boss GT-Pro(run w the 4 cable method so you can rout fx in the input or loop) and a MXR 10 band eq in the loop into a 50 Mesa tube power amp, I run into a Peavey Sheffield cab and into a Celestion V30 loaded cab- I thought I'd give you my impressions of the modules since I own 4 of the ones you have mentioned here.

Recto- it's muddy too dark and the gain is some what useless the only thing I could really use it for is a lead module when I used the GT-Pro to bump the gain and EQ the hell out of it to brighten it up.

Blackface- Its a cool module but I think I may sell it and replace it with the plain Clean module, the tone is good but its way too dirty, dont get me wrong i dont like completely clean clean tones but I like warm, tube sounds not grit.

Ultra XL- this module was my original Rhythm tone, it has a very warm mid with plenty of gain to it (think of the tone on "Before I Forget" or "Vermillion" by Slipknot) I am now using it as my lead module though.

1086- I like it about 1 out of every 3 times I use it. I didnt realize til after the return period that the gain switch on mine doesnt work right, when you switch it into hi-gain the sound gets messy an cuts in and out. haven't found a use for it yet, I may try to have some one mod it then see, but I'll most likely sell it

XTC- through a misunderstanding w Sweet Water I ended up with 2 of these (got one on Ebay when they were hard to find and had one on reserve with sweet water I had already paid for)... for guitar tones I love a good saturation as long as it does not take away the note definition, i like a strong warm mid (not a big fan of bright mids or lower freq trebles but I do love upper trebles and the pres freq's) all that said, I didn't tell anyone in the band that I had put a new module in my rig before practice that night... when I powered up (and i hadn't messed much w EQ yet) and started to jam some riffs...every one and i mean EVERY ONE (even the drummer) turned and looked me so yea its my fave mod now.

I want to look into gettting one of my XTC's modded (it'd be great to get something that sounds closer to the lead channel on the Deisel VH-4 or a Bogner Uberschal) and I would LOVE to have a module that nails Randy's tone on the Tribute CD for my leads...the search goes on but for now the XTC will be my mail rhythm tone!

hope I helped you guys in some way

Latest posts