v2 help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus1

Reaction score
just got a v2. seems like it has potential but at the moment it has no balls and is super noisey even with gates on the tube od channel. with a maxon boosting it with way too much drive from the pedal the gain is barely jcm 800 ish. the amp is used but in great shape i think the tubes r old i replaced all the 12ax7's n it got a little better but no more gain on tap. i dont have a 12at7. any one with knowlegde of this think the 12at7is bad it looks old. what happens when this tube goes bad ? anything like i got going on? thanks

i m sure no one is interested but i swapped the 12at7 and the amp sounds great i like it alot. its not what i expected at all but it sounds great and is capable of anything. sounds like my first rm100 but even bigger. i had 2 others that werent anything like it

Nice man, glad ya dig it! Those are some ballsy amps. They're sweet for sure. I'm glad you got the problem figured out too!

maximus1 said:
i m sure no one is interested but i swapped the 12at7 and the amp sounds great i like it alot. its not what i expected at all but it sounds great and is capable of anything. sounds like my first rm100 but even bigger. i had 2 others that werent anything like it

Nice! Love the T2 / V2 amps. Absolutely huge sounding. Which brand 12at7 did you throw in there? just curious; I put a Penta 12at7 in my V2.

i put a nos jan 12at7 in. i got it from tubedepot for 9 bucks i think. i also got a tungsol. the amp pushes harder with the tungsol. i think it sounds warmer with the jan. have to try the tungsol again though for sure. anyone ever get more gain from using high gain 12ax7's in one of these?

I have a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ in the V1 slot of the V2. Got it with recommendation from Doug at Dougstubes. He also recommended a JAN Philips 12AT7WC for the power buffer but I opted to spend less and went with the Penta, which was his second choice recommendation.

The Ruby seems to ad more gain for sure. I have to play around with the combos of tubes in my T2 and V2 heads. Haven't really bothered yet but will do when I get the chance to record the differences properly! 8)

which tung sol did you get? 12ax7 or at7? what do you mean push harder, more gain? more mids? Doug thought a TungSol 12ax7 would be too compressed compared to the Ruby I got :eek:

Edit: wow I just checked prices and I thought the Jans was more expensive but it's the same price as the Penta whoops :roll:

the tungsol is 12at7 but also has 6021 on it i think. the tungsol made the amp more powerful it seemed like. the jan is the wt whatever 12at7. it has a good sound to it so i left it in for now. the amp was quiter with the eh 12at7 that i thought was bad. i think it is ok but old for sure. i need to get the noise under control. i have tried all kinds of noise suppressors and gates. only one that works ok is the ns-2. i have owned 3 regular isp decimator and they never worked for any amp i tried only the ns-2 outfront but still has a squeak before it cuts off. this v2 needs a gate in the loopas much as it needs it outfront so io tried the ns-2 x connect method its decent but its a struggle to keep notes alive without really wacking the strings. my question is should i get the g string? or should i get a dbx? i know the g string works just like a ns-2 x connected so. everyone says isp kills the ns-2 but the regular decimator does not wrk for me so i m afraid the g string will not either. forget the smartgate and the hush i ve gotten best results with the ns-2 but i think i can do better please recommend me something that really works. if u have a v2 then u know how noisey it is.

I have a V2 and a T2. I use a regular ISP Decimator for both amps and there's no problem with the gate in front or in the loop. I keep the knob around -30 (12 o'clock ish). The only time I hear that little squeak when silencing notes is when I'm standing too close to the cabinet with the guitar at high volumes or high gain. If I have to do this I just turn the Decimator up to like 1 o'clock, but this is only at a lot of gain and volume.

I actually have a dbx 266xl to try out with my amps; will report back when I get the chance to do so. But I would reckon the G-string is the best noise gate over all others.

i play fairly close to my rig and very loud with lots of gain well no more than needed really :wink: . as i play in a few bands these r typical practice and gig conditions so i need to get this thing gated for that. at home just the regular isp works ok not nearly as good as an ns-2. let me know how that dbx works. i fear that since the g string can work just like an ns-2 it wont works as good as the ns-2 as the regular isp when run outfront or in the loop couldn t do as good a job either. trying to not move into rack gear as i have pedal board i like. i know people swear by isp but i just dont get it i had 3 be it regular ones they didn't work on rm100's or 6505's nearly as good as an ns-2

humm.. try using both the NS-2 and ISP? Decimator in front and just NS-2 in loop? :shrug:

I've never had any problems with the ISP choking notes too slow, only when I'm too close to the amp and there is feedback at louddd volumes.

i just had it running like that and vice versa . it wasnt as good as the ns-2 x connect. i think the 4 cable method works different cause the pre amp is in the loop of the pedal i think? cause i figured gated with both pedals it would be dead silent but i was still getting a chirp off the end of mutes. i think the dbx will work good i have heard . anyway the ns-2 x connect does work great i think it is designed to use all its inputs.

Ave Maximus!

Come back to MTS and pick up a couple of Salvation's masterpieces and don't look back!!
Seriously, thanks for all the tips a few years ago. I wouldn't have stuck around were it not for your advice.

hey whats up . u know i was actually thinking about that. i remember getting some good tones that i should have just settled on back then. one of those dreadplates or whatever would suit me i m sure. the v2 is decent seems similar to an rm100 in sound and feel. i was expecting more gain though. it has alot its just thick. never heard a clearer tighter
distortion sound ever though. very cool amp no doubt

www.myspace.com/bandxero

maximus1 said:
never heard a clearer tighter
distortion sound ever though.

I totally agree man, that's what I remember most about my V2 NInja as well. That thing was a beast!