Want a modern Marshall sound

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike361

Reaction score
I have a 59 rr platinum and a Gigmods sl plus. They are both great mods for Marshall tones. Both being more classic based. Before I bought my first tube amps, I used one of the very expensive at the time, vox ad60vtx modeling amps. This is the blue ones that only sold for a couple years but I think they were top of the line. It has a setting that is modern Marshall and sounds killer. Also heard a jvm205 amp that has that same sound and want to get a module that sounds like that. Or can this be had with what I already have. I have scooped the mids and that does make it more modern sounding, but still lacks something. I think it's a upper mid thing it's missing. Or could be just the speakers I am using aren't really made for the modern sound. Need some tips on modules or settings, thanks.
Speakers I am using are a wgs classic lead 80 and a vet30. In a closed back cab.

Boost the front end. Use some type of OD box with the level up and the gain down. Depending on the boost used, you will get different shades of what you already have with with more saturation.

I use a Koko Boost, MXR Classic OD, or a Cool Cat Trans OD. Lots of love for the old standard SD1 or Tube Screamer for boosting Marshalls also.

I have used (sometimes still do) the speaker mix you are talking about and have no problem getting modern tones if I want them. Swapping out the CL80's for G12T75's might help also. That is pretty much the standard speaker mix for modern amps. I personally prefer the CL80's though.

I guess I should have asked, have you tried boosting? Do you have a decent OD pedal laying around?

I have a few od pedals. Mostly fuzz types. The only non fuzz is a old chandler tube driver. And really is more of a fuzz od when you crank the drive. Maybe I should look at more modern type drives. I should add that I would only use the modern sound occasionally, I do prefer the old school tones for most of what I like to play. Just looking for a little variety :)

Agreed. I use a Keeley modified Boss SD-1 for an overdrive boost. It's very transparent. It doesn't really add a color, just a clean boost with more saturation. He has ALL kinds of OD pedal mods:
http://robertkeeley.com/products/pedal-mods/

I really think this is a better sound than trying to get a different module.
Good luck.

If you would like, I will send you my MXR Classic OD to try with your rig if you pay for the shipping. Just promise to send it back!

It has a switch inside to go from the stock circuit to the Zakk Wylde OD. I have it on the stock circuit at the moment.

In reality though, you should be able to get the same effect by using one of your current fuzz pedals by keeping the fuzz down and turning the level all the way up.

I might get a pedal soon. Have a fire ant that has Great fuzz tones on it , and might exchange it for something else. Not sure what yet, but we'll see. Thanks for the offer to let me try the mxr classic, but I might pick one of these up at gc. As far as the modules go, there is plenty of gain available, that is not it. I need to listen to the frequencies of the modern marshal land could be just a adjustment.

Latest posts