Rob re: Torpedo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic, hands down the best gear purchase I have made in a year. The Torpedo sims will sound like complete toys compared to Ownhammer impulses. I'll never mic a cab again, no exaggeration.

I have a Torpedo CAB and use it with an RM4 and Ownhammer impulses, BEST investment I have ever made to make my guitars sound more professional on recordings!

The Ownhammer stuff is KILLER!

Keep the Faith!

H

Any experience using the Torpedo with an M4 or RM4 in a live application?

I've thought about completely bypassing a power amp and running directly to the FOH while monitoring via stage monitors.

Using power amp and cab sims, does it satisfy?

I have no experience on this front to speak of right now. My band has been living in the studio for 2 years and we are nearing the end of that process. I can certainly try it out when we begin rehearsals in a few months.

Based on my experiences, I'd think it to be awesome in that application.

OK. I just ordered my Torpedo Live and I am PUMPED!!!

I plan to put it in a small rack with my M4 so I can easily take them quickly from my studio to gigs. I plan to run it straight to FOH and/or to a powered monitor for myself.

Can't wait to load up the Ownhammer IRs! Now I need a C-Watt to match with the Fanes IR they have!!

I'll let you guys know how this combo does in the live application..

Ricky,

The Torpedo CAB (pedal format / no loadbox) runs around $595.

The Torpedo Live (rack mount / loadbox) is about $995.

I didn't look these up so this is just from memory. You could better or worse depending upon where you like to buy. Not inexpensive.

I'll have a solid 30 day test drive to decide if it fits the bill for my needs. If not, I'll simply return for a refund.

If the reviews hold true, it will more than be worth the money for me.

I have been using the software version now currently called Torpedo WOS III with tube pre-amps into my DAW now for years and it works great. The hardware version are no doubt awesome too.

Chas, I went and looked up the WOS and it said that the download is free for 30 days and then you have to order a cab. Once you order a cab do you get to keep the WOS? How much are the cabs?

I answered my own questions except one big one....How are their speaker emulations? Can you use the Ownhammers in the plug in or are you stuck with theirs?

You can use 3rd party IRs such as Ownhammer but when you do you can't use the virtual power amps and don't have the mic positioning available. I just use the internal cabinets.

I purchased the plug when it was PI-101 and it was a few hundred bucks and came with all the cabinets as did the original WOS which is what I am using. WOS III is the latest in which they dropped the iLok and went with the basically its free version and pay as you go with cabinets. I guess you can audition the cabinets prior to purchase. Anyhow not sure how WOS III really works.

So yeah back the cabinets.... years ago when IRs came into fashion I always thought they were lifeless and mostly dead and pita to work with changing in IR to move the mic or position. When I tried the Torpedo instantly I heard what was missing. Enough that drug out my amps/cabs and mic'ed them and compared. Perhaps IRs have evolved as I read that OH had released a bunch of new stuff and methods and whatever, but I have zero interest in taking a detour on that stuff again.

For me and recording from that day forward is was the death of all hardware and vst modellers and IR solutions and back to tubes into WOS. I would probably buy Torpedo C.A.B. if I gigged but for now the plug is the answer for me.

Regards,
Charlie

Thanks Charlie. I am gigging a lot lately and still use real speakers and will no doubt continue as I have no control over what the monitor stuation will be gig to gig. However, I have been using cabinet sims for a while in my studio and always wanting to improve them. I will get this as it is free and buy a couple of their cabs. If I like them I may buy the other version at some point. Thanks a lot!

Latest posts