Cables

That oh so special place to discuss Pete's (OKstrat) module modifications.

Moderator: okstrat

okstrat
Lynch Box
Posts: 1536
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:04 pm
Contact:

Cables

Post by okstrat » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:20 pm

So anyways, the whole reason why I called my little thing Gigmods was because I'm a gigging musician. I play small clubs, and modding modules started with me not getting what I wanted out of my stock modules.

Well, another thing that has been bugging me are... cables. I used to be George L guy. Fairly quick to put together, sound great! ... but flimsy, easily damaged and it seems like on mine the ends would come loose eventually.

So, I've been building some custom cables. Going to send some out on a 'tour' to guys in a few weeks, get some feedback, etc... and I might make them available if I can find a good balance between what my time is worth and the end cost. I'm guessing I can beat a planet waves or monster cable price pretty easily, and beat their performance to boot.

Cables with no gimmicks - no weird plugs, no fancy weaves (which in my experience pick up smoke and crap from the stage, and are harder to clean than just plain cables) just a good full range sound, reliable and won't crackle and pop if they move onstage.

\The plug/connectors are important too - been testing some from Neutrik, Switchcraft and G&H.

Just curious - what are you guys using right now, and what do you like/not like about them?

Pete

droptrd
RM100
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Illinois

Post by droptrd » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:02 pm

Hey Pete, Ive been building my own cables for years. Currently using Canare and Gepco cable. Have used Mogami before too and liked it. For connectors Ive only used Switchcraft and Neutrik. For straight connectors I can go with either brand. For the right angle connectors I like the Switchcraft best. The Neutrik is still very good, but lacks a little in design when compared to the Switchcraft right angle. I usually buy the top of the line from both brands.
"Gimme some sugar Baby"

okstrat
Lynch Box
Posts: 1536
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:04 pm
Contact:

Post by okstrat » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:35 pm

droptrd wrote:Hey Pete, Ive been building my own cables for years. Currently using Canare and Gepco cable. Have used Mogami before too and liked it. For connectors Ive only used Switchcraft and Neutrik. For straight connectors I can go with either brand. For the right angle connectors I like the Switchcraft best. The Neutrik is still very good, but lacks a little in design when compared to the Switchcraft right angle. I usually buy the top of the line from both brands.
Sweet. I have some G&H plugs coming in, which I've heard great stuff about. Neutriks were good, so were switchcraft. I have some Mogami and Canare cable, I like the Canare but have some Gepco on order too. At least on paper, Gepco is about the same as George L's regarding capacitance, so I think I'll probably dig it.

Pete

bhuard75
RM100
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: Mass

Post by bhuard75 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:03 pm

monster cables since i bought mts gear. wanted a better quality cable than my local music retailer stocked. if your building a better and cheaper cable i would try it. based on your rep of course.
Voodoo Amps
Black Water Guitar Co. & Stinnett Guitars

droptrd
RM100
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Illinois

Post by droptrd » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:26 pm

okstrat wrote:
droptrd wrote:Hey Pete, Ive been building my own cables for years. Currently using Canare and Gepco cable. Have used Mogami before too and liked it. For connectors Ive only used Switchcraft and Neutrik. For straight connectors I can go with either brand. For the right angle connectors I like the Switchcraft best. The Neutrik is still very good, but lacks a little in design when compared to the Switchcraft right angle. I usually buy the top of the line from both brands.
Sweet. I have some G&H plugs coming in, which I've heard great stuff about. Neutriks were good, so were switchcraft. I have some Mogami and Canare cable, I like the Canare but have some Gepco on order too. At least on paper, Gepco is about the same as George L's regarding capacitance, so I think I'll probably dig it.

Pete
The Gepco is good stuff depending what line of cable you get from them. They have some cheap stuff too. I buy 8/2 wire from them to make speaker cable too. The gepco is a little cheaper then the canare and mogami, but the pvc jacket is on the stiff side. So its better suited for pedal boards and racks instead of stage cables (guitar to amp).
"Gimme some sugar Baby"

GtrGeorge!
Lynch Box
Posts: 1672
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:30 pm

I used to use george L...

Post by GtrGeorge! » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:47 pm

and they are really nice people BUT..
after a few years of using them...they just can't handle rough conditions. I think the actual wire they use sounds superior...and it is smaller in size...so it has the advantage of better sound, less space, less weight...
But those jacks are USELESS to me.
pete..maybe use his wire...but use a MANLY jack,instead.

okstrat
Lynch Box
Posts: 1536
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: I used to use george L...

Post by okstrat » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:13 pm

GtrGeorge! wrote:and they are really nice people BUT..
after a few years of using them...they just can't handle rough conditions. I think the actual wire they use sounds superior...and it is smaller in size...so it has the advantage of better sound, less space, less weight...
But those jacks are USELESS to me.
pete..maybe use his wire...but use a MANLY jack,instead.
I actually have soldered George L's to other plugs, but it's just so... wimpy feeling. If I had to emergency wire a pedalboard for a gig, George L's would rock for that. but I've had a few times where my rack was doing weird stuff and it ended up being a George L that wasn't making a great connection.

The Gepco stuff I'm getting in has the same pf per foot that the GL has... so it should have the same clarity and brightness. Plus it's a 'normal' sized cable... we'll see!

Pete

Firefighter1428
RM100
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Post by Firefighter1428 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:18 pm

I am using George Ls as well with soldered ends from Neutrik. I am using the .225 cable for pedalboard, rack, and guitar. The sound is ALOT better then my peavey cables I had before... I have not giged them yet nor have I had them for that long but seems to be holding up well. I figured the solder less plugs would not last long and order some plugs through a different company. That was my two cents
Randall RM4-treadplate, blackface, Plexi, SLO,
Modern(modding to be ENGL)
TC G-Major
Digitech gfx1 Twintube x2
Chandler rack tube driver x2
BBE Sonic Max
Furman Power
Peavey Classic 50
DG Rack in progress

WTB Randall RT2/50

rectifier
RM100
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:53 pm
Location: georgia

Post by rectifier » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:19 pm

i use planet waves and monster...i think anything more expensive is a waste...i dont think anybody wants to spend over $100 on a cable,,hell thats almost a module....and im really not sold on the oxygen free copper and all the gimmicks...i think the main thing in any cable should be reliability..i know i have had my share of snap,crackle,pops..and it seems always the solder connections on the ends..yep im looking for something that will last and i can depend on...and not have to rob a bank to get..hehehe
if it aint broke,break it and then modify it to rock !

shred-o-holic
RM100
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Central CA

Post by shred-o-holic » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Moghami and Monster
Fractal Audio Axefx Standard
Randall RT2/50 Power Amp
Randall RP2/200 Power Amp
ISP Vector SL112 Sub

Ibanez RGA 121 (EMG's)
ESP NT-II (EMG's)
Ibanez RGT42FX (EMG's)
Ibanez RG 1421 HetField EMG's

Shinozoku
Lynch Box
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:48 pm
Location: Bristol, VA

Post by Shinozoku » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Using monster and I love the flexibility of the cable (tried George L's, couldn't stand it because it felt tiny and wouldn't stop curling), but it seems like the ends might wear out easier. I thought the metal ends normally found on other cables would cause more damage when bent at the base than the monster style, but I'm beginning to think otherwise. I also like angled ends for certain Gibson type output jacks, cuz they bend and pull less :)
RM100M w/ Tung Sol 5881's
Blackface(self modded), Ultra Lead, SL+(out of commission), Ultra XL (self modded)
Vader 2x12 Cab
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB

tung
Lynch Box
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:30 pm
Location: canada
Contact:

Post by tung » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Monster= great cables, but too expensive
Planet waves Gold tip= less expensive alternative, but not as good tone wise, not reliable as on gigs.
RM100M, MTS 2X12 w/V30s, RM50 combo, 2007 Music Man LE JP6, Sterling Music Man JP50 ,81 Gibson Les Paul Pro, 80 Gibson ES-175, ESP LTD Super V, Fender Tele Joe Strummer, Fender SRV Strat,75 Fender Strat, Godin Multiac nylon.

www.myspace.com/tungle

MikeT
RM20
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Post by MikeT » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:17 pm

Canare GS-6 with Neutrik ends. This cable has been reliable over the last 6 years - no clicks or pops even after a fair amount of abuse.

My $90 Monster cable shorted out after one month.

Mike

muudrock
RM100
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:15 pm
Location: Cleveland, Oh

Post by muudrock » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 am

I always have used Mogami for my rack wiring and on larger pedal boards. For the small club rig, George L's for pedal board and Mogami for feeding the amp input. Nuetrik and switchcraft.
I found the best deal on the cable and connectors at redco.com

okstrat
Lynch Box
Posts: 1536
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:04 pm
Contact:

Post by okstrat » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:29 pm

Did my cable comparison - I prefer the G&H/gepco xb20 cable over the canare/Neutrik by a slight margin. Sent an evaluation cable to a friend here on the board for him to check out, see what he thinks. The gepco is about the same price as the canare, but is slightly louder overall - more of everything. Either cable kills the low end guitar center stuff - the braided cable that is around $20 for a 20'.

Pete

Post Reply