GCX help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disk11

Reaction score
I managed to score a good deal on a CGX/GCP combo:D However, the manual is making no sense to me in terms of wiring it up and other issues.

Do I have to make a connection between all of the loops?

Do I use the guitar out or a feed thru as the last out from the GCX?

Should I just have my RM4 hooked up to the send of Loop 8 and set it to be permanently on?

How in the name of science do I setup the GCX/GSP/RM4 in 4CM?

Are the loops processed in order, or could I say have loop 3 run before loop 2?

Hey Disk

I can help!

To answer a few of your '?'s quick to eliminate some confusion.

- Do I have to make a connection between all of the loops? Y

- Do I use the guitar out or a feed thru as the last out from the GCX? Y, i use the last out

Check out this link! It'll clarify alot as far as wiring is concerned. Its a very flexible piece of gear.

http://voodoolab.com/forum/download/file.php?id=190&mode=view

- Should I just have my RM4 hooked up to the send of Loop 8 and set it
to be permanently on? How in the name of science do I setup the
GCX/GSP/RM4 in 4CM? Are the loops processed in order, or could I
say have loop 3 run before loop 2?

These 3 '?'s depend on how you want the voodoo lab stuff & RM4 to behave! you can use loops dedicated to an FX loop, you can dedicate loops before the preamp. ect....

First figure out how you want your rig wired. Then I'll help you get there. You have to have a clear direction first. This post could take me 5 hours to write to answer your last 3 ?'s...LOL

That picture is a life saver, why it is not in the manual is beyond me.

I also need more MIDI and patch cables...and a rack...and a rack power amp...my bank account is gonna hate me :lol:

Glad it helped

that pic is a worksheet from a users actual rig wiring configuration over on the voodoo forum that was posted.

Their a good resource over there too. Dont be afraid to hit those guys up. They know the crap inside and out. And also there are different configuration setting inside the ground control pro to control behavior of the banks, effects ect...

disk11 said:
That picture is a life saver, why it is not in the manual is beyond me.

I also need more MIDI and patch cables...and a rack...and a rack power amp...my bank account is gonna hate me :lol:

But you know what? That GCP/GCX rig is gonna make playing easy and excellent sounding...No more worrying about tone-sucking from pedals and midi settings...Set it and forget it!

I have two setups utilizing GCX/GCP and couldn't be happier...My gear all just snaps right into place with each patch...Sure, it takes some time to get used to and program if it's all new to you- you will be VERY happy you did once you get it going...

I'm not getting too much help on the Voodoo forum.

For now, the GSP is going to handle effects, and if possible I'd like to leave loops open in the event I get some quality/unique pedals, so flexibility in the setup is important.

The setup I was thinking of is:

Loop 1: open
Loop 2: open
Loop 3:GSP preamp effects (dist/OD, wah)
Loop 4:RM4 preamp
Loop 5:eek:pen
Loop 6:eek:pen
Loop 7:GSP effects loop for reverbs, delays, etc.
Loop 8:RM4 FX return

So I would just need to connect the inputs and outputs of the open loops to maintain the signal chain and have them set to globally on for now, correct?

So I turn to the guru that is Mr. Fig...

I remember back in the OD thread you were experimenting with different ODs since the cheaper one's buffers wouldn't affect your tone. How do you have the GCX setup so you can play around with things like this and not reprogram every time?

Are you looking to be able to control the loops independently... Turn them on and off as you choose?

If so, configure the GCP for "instant access" mode. This will allow you to independently control the loops with the top 2 rows of switches. It'll also allow the bottom row for channel configuration.

Geez I need to think about this more...I gotta figure out what effects I want setup as CC changes on the GSP, then the leftovers can be assigned to the empty loops.

Hmmm...For my uses I just plug a couple pedals in loops and use instant access to flip between them...It is surprising the results you can get with less expensive pedals when you don't have to worry about tone sucking...FWIW
My current fave is a Bad Monkey pedal for a boost...
Sounds like your setup is coming together!
Anyway, as stated above - instant access will let you experiment with minimal difficulty...
All the best!

disk11 said:
Geez I need to think about this more...I gotta figure out what effects I want setup as CC changes on the GSP, then the leftovers can be assigned to the empty loops.

Its not gonna matter in instant access mode.

Ex. channel one you program to have, lets say loop 2 & 5 on. The you want to turn on loop 8 for a lead or what ever... Hit switch 8 when you need it then shut it off when you dont. Instant access mode allows you to program the loops you want and at the same time turn loops on and off as you choose while on the same preset.

Its that simple. The only problem I can see anyone having is in their pocketbook buying more of these to accommodate an extensive pedal board.

So you got 8 loops.

plug your guitar into an input on a loop, wire up your pedals. If you got an OD, run that output to the input of your RM4. Your effects pedals run that loop/daisy chain into the F/x loop of the RM4. Put it in instant access mode and your all set. Program your "base" channels and turn things on and off as you need. With the 8 loop switches!

I dont understand what other application or configuration your trying to get this to do... Backflips?...LOL just kidding man. I think your making it more complicated than what it is.

I'm using the GCP to control channel switching on the RM4, so Instant Access won't really work for me unless I'm experimenting with pedals, then I'll just use the button on the RM4.

So I'll have 4 buttons for the 4 modules, a few to turn on/off effects on the GSP. That sounds simple enough for now:)

No, thats what your not following and your forgetting your programming with midi equipment. you have multiple banks for your preset channels.

the 4 preset switches... assign them the rm4 channels with or without pedals. remember your programming with midi! And you have multiple banks for your 4 preset channels. so program an overdrive on a high gain rythem or a delay on a clean for effects that are used all the time.

or set bank one channels for all module channels with no pedals programmed on and use the loop switches to turn them on manually

and or program bank two with pedals programmed with certain channels on. Remember in instant access mode you still can turn on and off any loop you want within the bank or preset without leaving that preset.

follow? if not quote what you dont and I help you further. Or you can pour water on your gear

bhuard75 said:
Or you can pour water on your gear
:lol:

But really, I don't see the problem with his reasoning?

Btns 1-4 = presets (= amp channel and GSP patch)
Btns 5-... = stomp switches (= GSP effect of GCX loop)

So choosing a preset will recall an amp channel and the GSP patch with the associated effects. If you want to turn on/off effects later you use the stomp switches...

m0jo said:
bhuard75 said:
Or you can pour water on your gear
:lol:

But really, I don't see the problem with his reasoning?

@ moJo, I see the problem with my reasoning. First comes

Fist-Sledgehammer.jpg

or

triple_h_sledgehammer1.jpg

or

woman-holding-sledgehammer.jpg

Then

CC.jpg

THEN COMES

lrg_Liberation.gif