MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modules for Lead Work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spencer4hire
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaded Faith MKC+ works well.
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer4hire wrote:
Jaded Faith MKC+ works well.

I've got that mod here....It's a good one....Sounds really good at low volume....When it opens up it kinda thins out a bit but is really cutting in a mix.....I like this mod....

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattfig wrote:
It's a balmy 17 Degrees here right now....lol.....Legend and Humble are both relatively low noise in comparison to what you already have....They both let you keep the gain up without much noise beyond what is expected of a tube amp....

Yeah, probably should have gotten the Legend. I just really thought I wanted the Mamba. Like I said... I like high gain, I just don't like a lot of high gain amps cause they are noisy. Mamba isn't really noisy or anything, but its kinda the same as a lot of other Modules I already have. Nothing new really. It'll just sit here probably. Wanna trade me a Brand New Mamba for a Legend? Wink

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
JMMP
RM20

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best sounding lead module (so far) is a stock chrome face recto. I have two inbound modules (one modified, one unmodified) that I expect to sound much better for lead.

I believe my "luck" with the recto module (compared to so many others that I've read) stems from my Mesa v30 cab (seems most are using greenback type speakers?) and the fact that I have had a roadster as my main amp for the past 7.5 years, it just feels more at home.
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMMP wrote:
My best sounding lead module (so far) is a stock chrome face recto. I have two inbound modules (one modified, one unmodified) that I expect to sound much better for lead.

I believe my "luck" with the recto module (compared to so many others that I've read) stems from my Mesa v30 cab (seems most are using greenback type speakers?) and the fact that I have had a roadster as my main amp for the past 7.5 years, it just feels more at home.

I have some V30's. They aren't bad. Celestion speakers sound pretty noisy/fuzzy to me in general though. The Mesa Cab I'm sure helps. I use EV, but as a 2nd I'd use an Eminence. Maybe a Legend.

What Modules do you have on the way?

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
JMMP
RM20

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Tippy wrote:

I have some V30's. They aren't bad. Celestion speakers sound pretty noisy/fuzzy to me in general though. The Mesa Cab I'm sure helps. I use EV, but as a 2nd I'd use an Eminence. Maybe a Legend.

I feel like the cab works well for my Mesa heads, but not sold on it sounding good with other amps I have tried through it (MTS, non Mesa preamps)

I have a 1086 and Mash-oldano on the way. Looking forwards to playing both!
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MKC+ Spencer/Matt. It sounds decent.

So that's a no on the trade Matt? LoL

Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Tippy wrote:

Yeah, I love the Mamba but will NOT be parting with the Legend anytime soon....It's awesome!

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattfig wrote:
Capt_Tippy wrote:

Yeah, I love the Mamba but will NOT be parting with the Legend anytime soon....It's awesome!

How would you put it?

Clips or its a $27 walmart practice amp?

LoL

Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Tippy wrote:
Mattfig wrote:
Capt_Tippy wrote:

How would you put it?

Clips or its a $27 walmart practice amp?

LoL

https://youtu.be/1nte-eBzSbU?list=PLXf9h6yX8C2EvWnvrFyIHRY1duWzqD1eg

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've seen that. If it had impressed me enough, I'd already have the Module Wink I don't want to hear a clip that sounds like Vai. Not sure why people make those clips (and then don't make any other clips) I wanna hear what it sounds like when you play it

That's probably why I still don't own one because I don't like Vai, and that's pretty much the only clip Ive heard.

Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Tippy wrote:
yeah I've seen that. If it had impressed me enough, I'd already have the Module Wink I don't want to hear a clip that sounds like Vai. Not sure why people make those clips (and then don't make any other clips) I wanna hear what it sounds like when you play it

That's probably why I still don't own one because I don't like Vai, and that's pretty much the only clip Ive heard.

Got a guy coming this week, I'll have him do some slick leads for you guys on this mod...

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
VitaminG
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMMP wrote:
Capt_Tippy wrote:

I feel like the cab works well for my Mesa heads, but not sold on it sounding good with other amps I have tried through it (MTS, non Mesa preamps)

I have a 1086 and Mash-oldano on the way. Looking forwards to playing both!

the 1086 is a good stock module. I reckon you'll like it.
buriedorburned
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two best lead modules I played were the Salvation Camerock and Custom 3. Best part about both, is they can do some much more.

I had the Legend and it was super smooth, good for leads. But it wasn't great for anything else.

IMO, you want a lead module that can do more. Then it will really have it worth. Might also want to consider a JF XTC or Salvo Ecstasy.
Jaymzrock
RM100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Tippy wrote:

You really seem to like the JF Mods. I have some JF Mods I like, but I like the Salvo's better for the most part.

I actually started out on the Salvation train myself. I was solely a Salvo dude for whatever reason at the time. Although everyone here is pretty understanding and civil, the ol' JF/Salvo debachle saw things poppin' off a few times in years past. Like religion or politics...it just didn't make for great conversation. Spirited debates, we'll call 'em.

I don't have a lot of modules because I don't have the spare cash to justify collecting these things like Pokemon...because I would if I could. The reason I have and favor JF Mods is because in my honest opinion, they just sound better live. Since I play out a lot, it was discovered that Salvos and JFs are truly different designs altogether. The way I could describe it best, is that Salvos perform better at low volume such as in the studio. They are designed to sound rich, textured, and incredibly accurate at tone matching the amps they are designed after. When you crank them up for the stage, those textures start to loosen, become very noisy in some cases, and the module ends up sounding and feeling much less stable overall.

JF Mods (especially the newer line) actually sound better the louder you crank them. They are made for the stage. They become more stable, more defined...tighter at loud volumes. Its that simple.

One day when I can afford it, I would gladly have a wall of all the great mods by every maker. (I've had a sh!t-ton of mods, even a few SGs. They are also in a class all their own) But yeah. That's why I favor JFs and have slowly phased in into exclusivity.

Of course, opinions WILL vary and I hope I didn't tick anyone off. Hopefully it isn't as sore a subject as it used to be. I think they are both great companies with killer product but they are different enough to allow US to pick what we need, based on what we are trying to accomplish. And I think that's pretty damn cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: