1086 oppinions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MYDEMISE

Reaction score
I am on the fence about this module. I want to like it and it has some cool features but it has some negative qualities that just bug me. There seems to be an overall boxy / masked thing going on and it has mid frequencies that leave a litle to be desired. I know alot of people like it for chug but is that all it is good for?

You should send it to Pete or Anthony and get a great module back.
Better than trying another 2-3 Modules, if you like the 1086.

Mine had not really an "ampsound", but Anthony did it for me + more gain/brutal. :wink:

it depends on what you're looking for. I use my stock 1086 unboosted for Zeppelin & Santana rhythnm stuff. Boosted with a clean boost and eq for Sabbath. It pretty much nails Disturbed stuff. I also use it for lots of other stuff, both rhythm and lead. But for real heavy chug? Probably not.

Its a really versatile module, and does alot of different genres "well", but not everything "great"...for me, it does its best work when the mids are cranked 1-3 Oclock...now that's fine for standard heavy rock, but clearly not going to cut it with scooped tones, particularly modern stuff. I'm sure it can be done, but I would think many other modules are better suited for that.

Don't get me wrong, it'll work for just about anything, but I really think since the mids are so prevalant on that module, it leaves much to be desired for brutal stuff.

fuzzyguitars said:
i thought mine sucked ***

thats why it is over at salvation right now!

LOL, me too!
It does it all-nothing as good as others

Seems to be a great platform for modding

my pete modded 1086 will do all....but clean tones really, but some good gritty tones, plexi tones, all the way to death/extreme metal tones...

love it. not alot can hang with it really..

I honestly don't know how anyone can think anything other than the 1086 kicks ***.
Stock or modded, it just rocks.

kbause said:
I honestly don't know how anyone can think anything other than the 1086 kicks ***.
Stock or modded, it just rocks.

I'll bet that most people that really dig the 1086 play is some drop tuning.
I play mostly in standard or drop D and I find it uninspiring.

It's not horrible but it spends more time in the drawer than it does in the rack.

When I first got it, I wasn't totally impressed, thought it was a bit thin and that it lacked gain. Experimented with some tubes and it made a world of difference! Try a high gain Electro Harmonix or a Shuguang in V2 and a JJ in V1 and you'll be suprised by how much better it sounds. Thats how I run mine and after 6 months, I still love the 1086. This module is also quite versatile - the only one I have that does clean to high gain.

It seems like a percussive / masked tone. I downtune to drop C and the chug factor is there but tonaly the grail is better in my oppinion. I am debating selling it but wonder if modding is the answer?

MYDEMISE said:
It seems like a percussive / masked tone. I downtune to drop C and the chug factor is there but tonaly the grail is better in my oppinion. I am debating selling it but wonder if modding is the answer?

Hmm...are there any known mods for the 1086 to further increase the gain, and maybe increase the low mids? Its already pretty tight, so C3 swap not required, IMHO.