Anybody running 6550 power tubes????

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbailey1010

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is running 6550s in their RM100?

I play modern metal using a Voodoo Amp Sear modded Ultra XL and wanted to know what to expect going from 6L6s to 6550s

Doug from Dougstubes.com recommended either Ruby 6L6GMSTR or Ruby 6550-STR.........

are they worth the big price increase?

Thanks in advance

I have some Ruby 6550's in my RM80 and they sound incredible...better than the JJ 6V6's that where in there before. It has a fuller, deeper sound. Very powerful. I personally think they are worth every penny...although i haven't tried 6L6's yet...so i can't really say they are better...but i can say they are the best tubes i have used so far. It was like the missing link in my rig...once i put them in my 1087 screamed...best it has ever sounded. I'm most likely going to use them for now on. Also a JAN Phillips 5751 in the PI is a good choice if you haven't done that already...it greatly reduces the noise...so much that i stopped using my ISP.

I have heard that about the 6550s. The 6550s are twice as much 6L6s so hence the reason I wanted to know what the real differences were. I have always trusted Doug's recommendations but wanted to know if anyone here had any experiences with the tubes.......Dont mind spending the money on tubes if it really makes a huge difference is overall tone and sound...

I personally would go to Ruby 6550C's. That's what I use. They're a real sweet sounding tube. They have a softer edged breakup (if you can push it that hard, but the tend to break up a little earlier than some of the others). That slightly earlier breakup than say the 6550Rs and the STRs makes them more ideal for guitar.

Plus you have massive headroom and those bottom frequencies from your guitar aren't going to cause a power tube (like an EL34) to distort. They use 6550's in Ampeg SVTs. Big glass = fat tone.

They're the SED =C= 6550's from Ruby. Bias them around 40 mV and you'll be fine. :wink:

My only real concern is that I run a Randall RS125XL Cab which is loaded two vintage 30s and one 15 inch Emincence legend, so obviously its meant for big bottom end. I know the 6550s have bottom end characteristics so I do not want to go overboard with it (I know it all can be EQ'd and adjusted)

I also am just wanting to know if its worth twice the price of the Ruby 6L6GMSTR tubes....like I said, if it makes that much of a difference - I dont mind spending the money

The extra headroom is nice but I am also wondering about how much louder I am going to have to turn up my 100 watt amp in order to get the saturation I am wanting......

Your suggestions and help are appreciated

Are you worried about power tube saturation? If so... you're not after headroom.

Please read my posts ....I am wanting to know the differences since I have no experiences with 6550 power tubes...I understand the correlation between headroom and saturation...just wanting to make sure that the 150 bucks I spend will be good for what I play

rbailey1010 said:
The extra headroom is nice but I am also wondering about how much louder I am going to have to turn up my 100 watt amp in order to get the saturation I am wanting......

Your suggestions and help are appreciated

I did read your post.... then it changed to this statement in which what I was replying too.

But... most of your saturation is going to depend on how you use the gain and level on the preamp side (Your Modules)

Just reponding in a thread way.... didn't mean to confuse the subject.

I think if you are looking for a Power Tube that doesn't color your sound in a certain way... then yes... they would be worth it. Personally, I like the Marshall influence so I run EL34's.