Best 2X12 to drive RM100 Head

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
I have the MTS 2X12 cab right now todrive my new RM100 head. What are your experiences as far as cabs, the Vintage 30s seem to work well, but any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
T.

Depens on what you're shooting for. The two major contenders have been the V30 and G12M for a number of years. An in-between model is the G12H. My 2x12 has one G12M and one G12H clone from Weber and that's like a soprano and alto singing together - nice!

What kind of music do you play; which heroes do you have? I take it you have a chimy, british style speaker in mind. If the G12M could be said to be on the bright side, the V30 is more on the dark side. Then of course you got the lively G12 Alnico style made famous by Brian May of Queen.

joey_truelove said:
Depens on what you're shooting for. The two major contenders have been the V30 and G12M for a number of years. An in-between model is the G12H. My 2x12 has one G12M and one G12H clone from Weber and that's like a soprano and alto singing together - nice!

What kind of music do you play; which heroes do you have? I take it you have a chimy, british style speaker in mind. If the G12M could be said to be on the bright side, the V30 is more on the dark side. Then of course you got the lively G12 Alnico style made famous by Brian May of Queen.

thanks for the clarifications of the various speakers . I'm mainly a jazz/jazz fusion player, but i do a lot of sessions/live work that'll require modern rock/blues tones. So, in short, I need a rig that'll cut Wes/Metheny jazz clean and Lukather/Vai/Landau high gain lead tones. that's why i went with the RM100 rig for the versatility. I'm still going to run it with another amp for bigger gigs. I have an amp loaded with a single Tone Tubby 30, those speakers are simply quite amazing as far tone goes, nice bite but rounded.
I think the combination thing you're doing might be a great idea.
What i'm thinking is : would a Marshall 2X12 with the same V30s be any better than my Randall MTS as far as punchiness goes?
All kinds of questions to reach that "grail tone". You guys have been just awesome with your knowledge.
T.

My opinion has always been to match a V30 with a G12T-75. The reason is that the V30 acentuates the mids and the GT75 is all about the lows and highs (scooped). Put them together and you cab is VERY hi-fi sounding.

The only problem comes when it's time to mic the cab. Which speaker to put the 57 in front of???? (The Randall Mic Eliminator works well here. :wink: )

I have an Avatar Vintage (Bluesbreaker type) 2X12 with Hellatone V30's. They are the 'pre-aged Celestion V30's. Originally it had a V30 and G12H. I like it better now.

I also had a Splawn Quick Rod rig a few months back (great sounding, but 1 trick pony) with one of their 4X12 cabs with Eminence Man O war and Gov'ner speakers. Absolutely hands down the best sounding cab I've ever heard. Not sure if it was the cab or speakers.
I'm tempted to try 1 of each in my Avatar cab....AFTER I get the COD, EG3/4, BMan, etc.... :D

When I get to think about it I think my Webers are somehow pre-aged as well.

The rule if you need a Marshall cab or not is basically this: If fidelity is of less concern and that fat Marshall sound is of more concern, then go with Marshall. That said, a well known tone affacinado like Eric Johnson would never stop using Marshall cabs. I'm lucky to have found a Marshy 1966 with a thump (and looks) close to a 1960.

An interesting factor to be taken into acount is also the headroom of the speakers. E.g. a V30 will compress as much if fed with 60W distorted power or with 60W clean power. Then maybe you just put 30W into it and it will sound less compressed, darker and more touch sensitive.

Scooter said:
My opinion has always been to match a V30 with a G12T-75. The reason is that the V30 acentuates the mids and the GT75 is all about the lows and highs (scooped). Put them together and you cab is VERY hi-fi sounding.

The only problem comes when it's time to mic the cab. Which speaker to put the 57 in front of???? (The Randall Mic Eliminator works well here. :wink: )

Wow, i have to check into this, GT75... Sounds like a great mix, and you got the spectrum covered.
Have you used the Mic Eliminator in live to go into the board or in studio recording situation?
This is a great idea! :idea:
T.

joey_truelove said:
An interesting factor to be taken into acount is also the headroom of the speakers. E.g. a V30 will compress as much if fed with 60W distorted power or with 60W clean power. Then maybe you just put 30W into it and it will sound less compressed, darker and more touch sensitive.

Not sure i follow you on this, so you're saying more power, the more compressed the speaker will become? so, running my RM100 into a pair of V30s would compress the sound more than running at a lower wattage, say a 50 watt-head? How would this affect the clean headroom?

tung said:
Scooter said:

Wow, i have to check into this, GT75... Sounds like a great mix, and you got the spectrum covered.
Have you used the Mic Eliminator in live to go into the board or in studio recording situation?
This is a great idea! :idea:
T.
Live? Yes. Studio? No.
It worked great in a live situation. But then, any success in a live situation depends COMPLETELY on how good the sound tech is.