Best module for leads...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbause

Reaction score
What do you guys like best as your lead module?

I've yet to be 100% happy with any module for leads in my bands mix.
I like something that cuts like crazy, has great clarity, yet is forgiving for my often inebriated playing. :lol:

I'm trying to decide what mod to get, or which module to have modded to get me where I want it to be.

What is your go to lead module?

Right now I am using a KH2, I like it, its a bit forgiving to me. Prior to that I was using a Ultra XL. both worked great for me, liquidy leads.

audioholic said:
Right now I am using a KH2, I like it, its a bit forgiving to me. Prior to that I was using a Ultra XL. both worked great for me, liquidy leads.

I never got along with the either Ultras. Which reminds me, I need to pick up an Ultra Lead, I totally forgot about that one, I loved that mod when I played it.

kbause said:
audioholic said:

I never got along with the either Ultras. Which reminds me, I need to pick up an Ultra Lead, I totally forgot about that one, I loved that mod when I played it.
How did you dial that ultra lead? I have one right now and am going to do a bass cap mod to it because it's so muffled sounding (changing from 4700pF to 2200pF, or even down to 1500pF) I can really only get the best clear tone out of it by cranking the treble all the way up and keeping the bass under 12:00 with the mids around 3:00.

Shinozoku said:
How did you dial that ultra lead? I have one right now and am going to do a bass cap mod to it because it's so muffled sounding (changing from 4700pF to 2200pF, or even down to 1500pF) I can really only get the best clear tone out of it by cranking the treble all the way up and keeping the bass under 12:00 with the mids around 3:00.

I don't recall tbh. It was last fall at the Chicago Ampfest.
I just remember leaving, thinking I must have the 1086 and Ultra Lead.
Probably started everything at noon and dialed from there, are you boosting? Cuz I definitely boosted it.

When I'm going for a marshall lead I use a SL+ modded by Dave Friedman. For the more modern tone I use an XTC that Dave also modded, and occasionally a 1086 for de-tuned metal.

My 3 top modules for lead:
* Ultra XL: modded to reduce "fizziness", add more bottom end and mid-punch; also modded with switch for mid EQ band
* XTC: modded for more clarity and gain
* SL+: JCM800 mod for mid punch/tone; added gain

Other stock modules I tried but didn't cut it in the gain/sustain department:
Mr Scary, KH3, Grail, 1086, Ultra Lead

I don't like to use pedals, and none of the stock MTS modules suit my taste for the right mix of gain/sustain/tone without mods.

Fattonefreak said:
When I'm going for a marshall lead I use a SL+ modded by Dave Friedman. For the more modern tone I use an XTC that Dave also modded, and occasionally a 1086 for de-tuned metal.

How do you like the Df mod on your XTC? how is it compare to the stock?
I might send mine down for him to mod, although I really like the stock XTC for leads, especially when it's being boosted by a good overdrive, awesome sustain and great upper mids.

dboy5150 said:
My 3 top modules for lead:
* Ultra XL: modded to reduce "fizziness", add more bottom end and mid-punch; also modded with switch for mid EQ band
* XTC: modded for more clarity and gain
* SL+: JCM800 mod for mid punch/tone; added gain

Other stock modules I tried but didn't cut it in the gain/sustain department:
Mr Scary, KH3, Grail, 1086, Ultra Lead

I don't like to use pedals, and none of the stock MTS modules suit my taste for the right mix of gain/sustain/tone without mods.

I've never gotten along with the XTC or Ultra XL.
Not bad tone, theres just something uninspiring about it for me.

All I can tell ya is that both the XTC and Ultra XL are heavily modded; I believe Rob did nearly 20 component changes in the XTC; neither sound anything like stock. Based on your description however, I think you might want to try either a modded SL+ or KH3; the JCM800 and KH3 have great tones, and by adding a bunch of gain on top of those tones, they're pretty sick

I was jammin out last weekend, and I pulled off some truly wicked runs on the 1087- it really seemed to lift my playing...fatten up the bass cap response, dial in some mids and it really is breathtaking, just the right amount of compression, gain, and sustain

Typically, I use the Orange switch on the PeteTPlate; I also like the SL+ 800 mod for aggressive leads

In the end, it really depends on which guitar I'm playing- the XTC really sounds sweet on most of my axes, but on my les paul, I'll go elsewhere

Right now, it?s the Pete Modded XL for leads and crunch. I sent Rob a 1086 that?s on its way back to me tomorrow; I asked to have the leads cut through the bass when using dropped C tuning. I have the XL dimed on the gain, max bass and treble, mids off. The Decimator has its job cut. Spring is almost here, I live 1/4 mile off the road and the neighbor kids are already starting to congregate when I crank it up. Cops in the forecast? Probable.

Is there a module that sounds somewhat like a Carvin Legacy? Thats my favorite amp for leads...unfortunately, not much else.

Hey Stealth - It's been a little while since I heard a Legacy, but I think the XTC sounds pretty close - closer than any of the other modules I've heard anyway. The amount of gain, I think is pretty similar and the basic tonality anyway. But again, it's been a while.

Tung, I like it a lot. It has better sustain now and a little more gain. It also has more clarity than before. I use several different guitars with (humbucking) pickups ranging from 8K -17.5K so that will have a lot to do with choosing the right module for lead. But the module still sounds good with my swamp ash tele with fralin pickups and My Strat with stock vintage fender pickups. So there still are a lot of variables.

Fattonefreak said:
Tung, I like it a lot. It has better sustain now and a little more gain. It also has more clarity than before. .

Cool, I got a DF Brahma coming, might just have to send the XTC down for Dave to mod it as well :twisted:

stealth said:
Is there a module that sounds somewhat like a Carvin Legacy? Thats my favorite amp for leads...unfortunately, not much else.
I belive from what I read and have seen in pictures that SV used a Bogner Ecstasy amp and had an Egnater TOL sitting on top of that in the early years.

The Carvin Legacy tone was based on the Bogner XTC so a modded XTC module should nail it or any of the Egnater modules based on the TOL. He also uses a Fender amp for his clean backing on some songs and a Carvin TS100 amp to power his stage monitor speakers. Steve has a lot of processed guitar with effects and harmonizers which sounds good but is more than just finding a module for amp tone.

Latest posts